• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Spay/Neuter -- Cats

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
I've been asked this question by a friend and I have no idea what the recommendations are! We talk about this a lot with dogs. What about cats? Harmful to do early? Advantages to waiting?

Thanks!
Kristen

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Same thing, Kristen. Well, mostly.
Love to get @Dr. Sara to chime in.

Female cats are healthy when they keep their ovaries. They come into heat a lot, though, so she may need to learn to help them come out of heat (a glass rod inserted in the vulva is one way). Dr. Jeff's cat is intact. The options are the same as with dogs - take out the uterus and leave the ovaries, or leave both and tie the oviducts.

The urine of most male cats is so strong that people cannot tolerate it. However, I had several clients who said they had 18 year old intact males and had never had a problem.

I would wait with males until there was some odor to urine, then neuter the regular way. Females are up to owner to see if they can manage the heat cycles.

Remember your friend, for free, can read the forum, just not post questions or comments.

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks for the info!

I went back and listened to some of Dr. Sara's Empower Hour and got some additional detail from it.

Thanks too for the reminder about friends reading the forum..

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Queens are much less likely to get pyometra than bitches, so tubal ligation as Dr. Christina describes is a possible option. I would not use tubal ligation for bitches because of the pyometra risk. For bitches, an ovary sparing spay, removing the uterus and cervix, is the appropriate surgery.

Mammary cancer in queens is much more likely to be malignant than mammary cancer in bitches, so that is an important consideration.

For male cats, the urine is strong smelling, and toms do have more desire to roam. Toms are somewhat more likely to mark inside the home as well.

Overall, the benefits of sex hormones in cats have been studied less. Cats, as a group, are more robust than dogs. I would not be surprised if cats without normal sex hormones were found to have a less robust immune system. This may affect the incidence of the common feline old age problems of hyperthyroidism, kidney disease, and diabetes. The obesity problem of cats without hormones also contributes to diabetes incidence.

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Queens are much less likely to get pyometra than bitches, so tubal ligation as Dr. Christina describes is a possible option. I would not use tubal ligation for bitches because of the pyometra risk. For bitches, an ovary sparing spay, removing the uterus and cervix, is the appropriate surgery.

Mammary cancer in queens is much more likely to be malignant than mammary cancer in bitches, so that is an important consideration.

For male cats, the urine is strong smelling, and toms do have more desire to roam. Toms are somewhat more likely to mark inside the home as well.

Overall, the benefits of sex hormones in cats have been studied less. Cats, as a group, are more robust than dogs. I would not be surprised if cats without normal sex hormones were found to have a less robust immune system. This may affect the incidence of the common feline old age problems of hyperthyroidism, kidney disease, and diabetes. The obesity problem of cats without hormones also contributes to diabetes incidence.

Thank you so much!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom