• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Snuffling to Reduce Cancer (or other) Symptoms

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi everyone-

Many of you are already using a snuffle mat to increase cellular energy and healing.

Here's a 13 sec. video of both Archie and Vanya hunting for sunflower seeds in their sniffle mat from Paw5.

Here's the other Pranayama for Pets thread:

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
One hour of snuffle mat session for Koby makes a huge difference in his energy throughout the day!

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Here's Charlie on his snuffle mat! He loves it and I love the idea of using sunflower seeds. What amount should I start with? Does that account for anything in his diet? What other dry things could be used?

Charlie - snuffle mat.JPG

jsqueglia

All-Access Member
Registered
Another dry option for the mats is tiny bits of freeze dried raw.
Bravo has tiny squares of cod that I use for training treats and there are many tiny training treat options like bits of freeze dried liver, chicken, beef etc..
Vital essentials has freeze dried mini nibs meant for treats or a meal and they come in larger bags and many different proteins.

I also do a 'Go Hunt' game with our 4 dogs where I scatter about a cup of bits in the grass or in the snow. Keeps 4 of them snuffling for a solid 1/2 hour or more and sometimes they return to the spot later in the day to see if they missed any.:dog2:

For our dogs this is in addition to their regular diet. Like training treats. All our dogs are very active and not overweight.
Personally, I would only consider it part of the main diet if I had a dog who needed to lose weight.

Charlie seems to being enjoying his snuffle mat hunt! He's a lucky boy!

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Another dry option for the mats is tiny bits of freeze dried raw.
Bravo has tiny squares of cod that I use for training treats and there are many tiny training treat options like bits of freeze dried liver, chicken, beef etc..
Vital essentials has freeze dried mini nibs meant for treats or a meal and they come in larger bags and many different proteins.

I also do a 'Go Hunt' game with our 4 dogs where I scatter about a cup of bits in the grass or in the snow. Keeps 4 of them snuffling for a solid 1/2 hour or more and sometimes they return to the spot later in the day to see if they missed any.:dog2:

For our dogs this is in addition to their regular diet. Like training treats. All our dogs are very active and not overweight.
Personally, I would only consider it part of the main diet if I had a dog who needed to lose weight.

Charlie seems to being enjoying his snuffle mat hunt! He's a lucky boy!

Thanks for all of the ideas! I'm using the snuffle mat in addition to Charlie's regular diet too. He transitioned successfully to a fresh, raw food diet just this week. We're just in our third week but it feels like he's been here longer!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Fantastic. :thumbsup:

Thanks @kristen_acri, @kingsgrlie and @jsqueglia for posting.

Great ideas about treats and games!

Yes Kristen, the sunflower seed, or other treat, calories may need to be considered as you would for Charlie's regular food. I agree that you only really need to watch this if he is inactive or overweight.?

If you want to watch calories, try cutting the seeds into smaller pieces using a Ninja blender or other kitchen tool.

Regarding quantity, that depends on how long you want him to snuffle.

For my pups, ~2 tbsp. of sunflower seeds keeps them snuffling up to 20 minutes.

The more the better!

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Fantastic. :thumbsup:

Thanks @kristen_acri, @kingsgrlie and @jsqueglia for posting.

Great ideas about treats and games!

Yes Kristen, the sunflower seed, or other treat, calories may need to be considered as you would for Charlie's regular food. I agree that you only really need to watch this if he is inactive or overweight.?

If you want to watch calories, try cutting the seeds into smaller pieces using a Ninja blender or other kitchen tool.

Regarding quantity, that depends on how long you want him to snuffle.

For my pups, ~2 tbsp. of sunflower seeds keeps them snuffling up to 20 minutes.

The more the better!

I've noticed today that, with Koby's BEAM worsen, his desire for snuffle mat session has lessen - before his BEAM was worsen, he'd enjoyed snuffle mat session for an hour...now with his lower BEAM, he'd walked away after 20 minutes on the mat.

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Elevated snuffle mats - less strain on his neck ? (he had a slipped disc there a few years ago)...and less coughing while sniffing ?

4590D0CE-5495-45CA-AA62-77F3A921675E.jpeg

Last edited:

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks @Dr. Jeff -- I'll try a tablespoon and see how it goes. Charlie is not overweight and he's definitely not active! Some days it's hard to get him to walk around my neighborhood circle. If he sees a squirrel, everything stops. He seems to alert me to it and expects me to do something. He was his owner's best squirrel dog. He loves my back yard though and spends lots of time sniffing and exploring. He'll chase a ball that I throw until it stops. That's the same with other toys too. I'm looking for a squirrel toy!

@kingsgrlie -- I hope Koby's BEAM rises so that he gets his usual snuffle time in!

Kristen

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you, @kristen_acri we're working closely with Dr. Jeff ...Koby's BEAM improved this afternoon! YAY! Hallelujah!

Yes, Koby's energy improves after each snuffle mat session :)

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
@LisaP Thank you! Sometimes, I incorporate a little core exercise for him by placing the K-9 Kore BISKit in the center of his snuffle mats. I would start him off with some high-value treats like K9 Magic for the core workout then he'd move onto the snuffle mats with less high-value treats for the remaining session.

IMG_9954.jpg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Fantastic, thanks for sharing this great photo and workout idea!

How many snuffle mats does Koby have?

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom