• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Tools That Increase Vitality and Energy and May Speed Healing in Pets

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi @everyone-

I was out walking Archie the other day and realized something I'd like to share.

It looked like a beautiful day outside from my seat in front of the computer and Archie always appreciates a walk, so I decided to take a break and take him out.

It was chilly (48) and about mid way through the walk, the wind picked up. As a person who doesn't appreciate cold blowing winds much I wasn't appreciating the walk but Archie was having a grand 'ole time! Hair blowing sniffing around, connecting with the environment, smiling happily!

Then the trees really started swaying as the wind picked up and it really became uncomfortable for me. Archie on the other hand continued having fun.

As we crossed Hickory Lane and Archie pulled to the left so we could have a longer walk, I steered him back in the direction of home. When I did so I thought to myself how much this cold, windy walk really sucked (for me).

But at the same time I realized that I was walking faster and with more stability than I did just a few months ago (my leg muscles and brain don't coordinate too well and I tend to frequently stumble and fall).

That's when I thought about the cold exposure, exercise and nature therapy, that I was immersed in (but was not super happy about at the moment).

All of the things like physical and breathing exercises, fasting, cold therapy, sweating, etc. which we know work to increase cellular energy and heal dis-eases (in people) may not be very pleasant (OK yes, they can really Suck) BUT they Work.

These simple actions also improve BEAM and quality of life and may Suck but Work (SBW)!

It may not be so easy for us to use and enjoy doing these things, but it's super easy (and often fun) for pets.

Thinking further, I realized that this is why I am attracted to science stuff.

Science gives us a Roadmap For The Terrain.

In other words, we can know what works and what doesn't by using scientific research which is the basis for EBM (where EBM stands for Experience Based Medicine in addition to Evidence Based Medicine).

I guess my take home at the end of the walk was that science-backed things that may SBW (suck but work) for us also help activate healing mechanisms so are worth the effort.

I may not like waking up early and splashing cold water on my face, and then doing my SKY breath meditation, or fasting 18 hours a day, but I will continue to do them because I try to "follow the science" and research.

They may not be "prescribed" by the doctor but they work for me like the Therapeutic Sniff Walk, fresh food feeding, Happy Meals/BEAMing, etc. work for Archie's Lyme and kidney dis-ease...

Here's some more about where science and energy-based ways meet to improve your pet's health:

I'd love to hear what others have to say about using holistic actions which may not seem like much (or which are not fun to do) to speed healing in pets (and ourselves). @Dr. Christina, @Dr. Sara, @Dr. Jean @dr_ judy herman @Dr.Siegel @GinnyW @beccak et. al.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Well, I've been pretty hard on myself all my life, with dieting, sports training, music, etc. but without the knowledge I have presently about how REALLY to nourish and stimulate my body. After a health setback over two years ago - just a hip replacement about which I had apparently been in denial for ages - I found myself weak and unbalanced, with lots of neuropathy and fatigue. Apparently surgery is not always a cakewalk, no matter how successful the procedure itself.
The upshot was/is that I could not work out as I wished, had unreliable balance, could not walk more than a few yards, and had persistent back and hip pain and tingling. After some months my unconventional MD/naturopath suggested I try LDN, and it's gradually making a difference.
I had been strictly Paleo for decades, but started following the keto- and intermittent fasting protocols several years ago. Here's where the difference between Dr, Jeff and myself seems to be: keto, as defined by low-carb, high-fat and moderate protein, is an easy way to eat, metabolically. On a high-fat diet, one seldom or never experiences hunger, so intermittent fasting is easy, simple, and, I find, very natural. It's also nice not to have to bother preparing and eating all those "extra" meals. And, if I had to eat all those grains and heavy carbs, not only would the diet become ineffective, but also quite difficult to maintain. Did I mention easy weight control? HIgh-fat does it.
I still cannot walk far, so ride an Air-Dyne, with a couple of max-effort intervals each session. I work out with weights, and note that, after my years of muscle-building solely for aesthetics and bicycle racing, that many of the "gurus" of new metabolic health are coming back around to recommending muscle development for metabolic health. Of all the pursuits I follow, I hate the Air-Dyne worst of all:) the diet, the breathwork, the lifting, the fasting - they're all fun and obviously productive.
So now I am exploring how most effectively to preserve mitochondria, to ensure the proper function of my immune system. I've added in a few nutritional supplements such as NMN, NAD+, and glutathione, to my already extensive regime of antioxidants, bio-identical hormones, MCT, fish, and krill oils. I - gasp! - use a tanning bed - fairly low EMFs, lots of UVA, and only a tad bit of UVB. I've done it for 35 years, and I have very healthy skin.
Then there's Feldenkrais, sleeping with PEMF, controlled breathing, EMF shields on screens, weekly chiropractic, etc.

I guess the Air-dyne is the only thing I find difficult, and it's over quickly. I wish I could walk enough to count. Intermittent fasting is the single most important factor in health and longevity - I see this over and over again in the work of many researchers. And eating a "sensible" high-fat diet is the easiest way to do it. This is also behind how I feed, and recommend we feed, my dogs. I get no complaints on the diet, and fasting is well-tolerated, too.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom