• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Smelly kitty butts

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
Hi there, not quite sure where I should place this thread, but presuming food intake may have some bearing, I am placing my question here. My 2 rescue kitties from last June had major diarrhea issues, which, for the most part, have been resolved. The problem is, while both Zeus and Thor are adorable, their butt ends are VERY SMELLY!! Even though they clean themselves after a bowel movement, there still is a lingering odour around their butt ends. Is there something I need to do to add or change to their diet and is this normal? The other cats(fortunately) do not have this issue, including their mother who I adopted along with the 2 boys.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Bonnie

Ah, the 'ole "stinky butt" phenomenon.

This can be related to continued dysbiosis in their intestines and/or issues with their anal glands.

Either way, this smelly symptom can be resolved.

What do they eat?

Are their butts always stinky or does it come and go, and if so, when do you smell it?

Any other modalities or triggers?

Are their stools consistently well-formed?

Which, if any, probiotics did you use to help resolve their diarrhea?

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
Hi Dr Jeff. to answer your questions;

They eat canned wet food but I buy the best quality I can, being somewhat limited in choice here in Merida. They also eat a small amount of raw food which I make for all the cats

Their butt ends are always smelly and I smell it most when the little rascals put their butt ends in my face!

I cannot think of any triggers or other modalities, other than when they came to me June last year, they both had dreadful diarrhea. We are still dealing with somewhat loose stool and I have been giving them a product from Pet Wellbeing called "BM Tone-Up Gold. This has formed the stool to some degree but it seems we can go no further in achieving the ideal "tootsie roll" shaped stool.

I am not using any probiotic at this point in time, one type of medicine at a time is my motto

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great (and scientific) motto!

Have the kitties received a homeopathic remedy since the stinky butt arose?

If the new product doesnt help, consider adding and rotating probiotics like Rx Biotic, Mitomax, or whatever is trusted and available in MX.

You can also learn more about their exact microbiomes by sending in stool samples to AnimalBiome:

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
No Homeopathic remedies re the stinky butts, just the BM Tone Up. I will try the probiotics as I purchased a good product from a great health food store the last time I was in the States. I will talk with my local vet here regarding stool analysis here. It is unlikely Fex Ex would want to ship stool samples from Mexico. Explaining what the package contains and its value (for customs) might prove to be problematic! Thank you, Dr. Jeff.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
?

C

Christie

It's funny because my 3 month old kittens butts smelled so bad too but really noticed more raw/freeze dried in their diet helps because when they were fed in the shelter on canned food vs what I give them now it’s a big difference.
Also, could it be perhaps since they are always at play, their butts protrudes a bit more due to excitement? ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom