• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Slightly low white blood cell count...normal?

ckraham

Community Member
Registered
Hi, I just had a blood panel done for my five year old Saluki and the white blood cell count was a bit low (3.9). The vet said that she has seen low white count in healthy dogs but I wanted another opinion and any suggestions on supplements to build healthy blood. I plan to breed her later in the fall, which can be an extra stress on the body. She does have one littermate with a type of autoimmune disorder (cannot remember name but you will know it...polyarthritis), following some type of spider bite two years ago and many cocktails of medications (conventionally treated dog in a household where every dog in the house has a weird medical disorder the owners love to focus on). One littermate died young (around two years old) of some type of fast growing cancer (maybe a hemangiosarcoma), but was never quite normal from birth and the breeder chalks it up to the fact that the dog liked to play in a field that would flood with water coming off of the neighboring farmland (sprayed heavily with pesticides).

My girl is healthy with great BEAM, though she can tend towards a gurgly stomach if I do not give digestive enzyme or the right probiotic.

I have tried her on Bioprep 3 micro algae as an immune booster but it gives her a loose bowel (some of my dogs can take it some can't), and have her on colostrum and on Canine Complete from the Pet Health and Nutrition Center.

I will also add that she is a gray dog, just because I believe gray dogs can have their own set of "uniqueness". (She is not merle).

She is a strong active girl, top of her litter. Vet said it is normal but just want to rule out autoimmune dis-ease, especially if I am going to breed (I have seen pregnancy trigger things in dogs)

I will attache the bloodwork as a file.

Thank you, Cassandra

ckraham

Community Member
Registered
I cannot get it to save on my computer so will try later, but what vet said is she has seen this in normal dogs and that she would not be worried about it. Will try to send the results. Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, what a perfect blood case for Dr. PJ on Monday!

In fact, she and I were just discussing this (low blood counts). She says "YES" to the algae and especially a blue green algae supplement.

Your vet is 1000% correct IMHO about your pup's low white count. Daily (and even hourly) changes in blood parameters are a normal part of any living beings "dynamic equilibrium.

However, I'd still consider feeding farmfresh raw eggs every day and maybe even using Dr. PJ's Penta Genesis (if it is available through a vet in your area):

I would hold off on breeding her until everything about her is normal and you consult with a vet homeopath about her EWS.

ckraham

Community Member
Registered
Thank you; would be grateful if you could ask about it Monday; I am in Portuguese classes most Mondays at eight so probably won't be able to be there live :(
This is her "normal", she was similarly low last year.
She should come into heat November so will retest.
She does get raw eggs a few times a week
I will look into the deer velvet; is this the same as deer antler? Pet Wellness and Nutrition Center has one I used to give to arthritic, hypothyroid neutered male.

She did not tolerate the blue green algae well, but maybe I can try the level one or two instead of going for the level three.
And make a consultation for her.

Thank you
Cassandra

ckraham

Community Member
Registered
Dr Jeff, would I be able to order the Penta Genesis from you? It looks like you need to get it from a veterinarian.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Unfortunately I don't yet have a local sources for the Penta but will ask Dr. PJ.

Deer velvet is the antler when it is covered by a "fuzz" and seems to have extra healing power):

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Cassandra-

I spoke with Barry from NZ Deer Velvet last night, and he will be shipping me some of the Penta Genesis to use in my practice Let's see what Dr. PJ says about also adding it to the homevet.com web store.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
I looked into the Traditional Chinese Medicine version of deer antler. Lots of formulations, both liquid and capsules. It's quite common and popular for all sorts of debilitated conditions. Some formulas are only deer antler; some are combined with other stimulating herbs such as ginseng. Called Lu Rong; I'd try it if I had need.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
How about starting with Kyonex and an AFA algae like Dr. PJ discussed:

The thymus extract in it is great at supporting blood building.

ckraham

Community Member
Registered
I looked into the Traditional Chinese Medicine version of deer antler. Lots of formulations, both liquid and capsules. It's quite common and popular for all sorts of debilitated conditions. Some formulas are only deer antler; some are combined with other stimulating herbs such as ginseng. Called Lu Rong; I'd try it if I had need.
I actually take a formula with ginseng for blood deficiency myself

ckraham

Community Member
Registered
Hi Cassandra-

I spoke with Barry from NZ Deer Velvet last night, and he will be shipping me some of the Penta Genesis to use in my practice Let's see what Dr. PJ says about also adding it to the homevet.com web store.
Wonderful. PS: Turns out this dog does have an ear infection (yeast); chicken or egg--could the white cell be low because of the ear infection or vice versa? Many dogs in the DC area are suffering this this year because of the extreme humidity

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, good thinking Cassandra!

Hot and humid weather can be a big trigger (depending on the susceptibility of the pup):

GENERALS - WEATHER - hot - agg.: (45) Acon.bro1,k2,br1 aeth.k2,bro1 aloesf1.de,bro1 Ant-c.bg2,bro1,c1,sf1.de ant-t.sf1.de Apissf1.de aq-mar.vml3 bapt.sf1.de Bell.bro1 borx.bro1 both-ax.tsm2 brom.k2 Bry.bro1,sf1.de,bg2 Carb-v.bg2 cench.gk0 cocc.bg2 croc.bro1 Crot-h.sf1.de,bro1 crot-t.bro1 Cupr.sf1.de dulc.fd4.de Gels.bro1 Glon.bro1 kali-bi.c1,k2,bro1 lach.bro1,c1,sf1.de,bg2 lith-s.stj2 merc.zzz Nat-c.bro1 Nat-m.bro1 nat-s.k2 nat-sil.fd3.de neonstj2 nit-ac.bro1 nux-m.gk0 Op.sf1.de phos.bro1,sf1.de,bg2 pic-ac.bro1 Podo.bro1 Puls.bro1,bg2 rumx.zzz sabin.bro1 sel.bro1,sf1.de,bg2 Sulph.sne0 syph.bro1 thuj.sne

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom