• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Sex Ed: Inducing a Cat Out of Heat

K

kelley

Yes, I realize this is not a disease, but none of the other Forum sections seemed appropriate.
Anyway, simulating coitus was mentioned by Dr. Christina without specifics like the diameter of the glass "tube" (a thermometer?), how far in, how many times, etc.

Dr. Sara

VIP Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
The glass rod (blunt, clean, rectal thermometer - oral ones are pointed) is inserted about an inch into the vulva of the female that is in heat. You must be careful about this, as not all females are happy about the sensation, and she may try to bite. During mating, the male would be holding the female securely by the scruff with his mouth, while his front legs wrap around her shoulders. As you can see from the information below about ovulation, the more times the sham mating is performed, the higher the levels of LH, and the more likely the queen is to ovulate. Each queen has an individual threshold of LH at which they will ovulate.
Copulatory Ovulation: Queens are described as induced ovulators. During copulation, the male's penis distends the posterior vagina and induces release of GnRH from the hypothalamus. GnRH acts on the pituitary, causing a surge of LH within minutes of breeding. Multiple breedings cause an LH surge that is higher in amplitude and lasts longer than when only one breeding occurs. When the LH surge has crossed an individual threshold, the queen ovulates.
Non-Copulatory Ovulation: Non-copulatory ovulation occurs in 35-70% of queens, especially older queens. Spontaneous ovulation can occur in response to petting, or any exposure to a tomcat. Male cats that simply mount the queen without actually breeding her can also induce ovulation. Queens are capable of non-copulatory, spontaneous ovulation in many cases.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks Dr. Sara!

Kelley, please let us know if you try this procedure (inducing ovulation to stop your kitty's yowling and other mating behavior).

K

kelley

I very much appreciate Dr. Sara's information and guidance. I did try this three times, but found it difficult to do on a squirming, gyrating cat. She tolerated the intrusion only briefly before screaming and jumping away. I was being careful, and don't know if it actually hurt her or she just had a strong reaction--she's quite a high strung little beastie. What I did do had no effect. After the first time, she seemed to settle down for a bit and take a nap, but was back to heat behavior when she woke up--so probably no effect. I'm probably not doing this correctly, but I also don't have a stomach for it so am generally diffident about it. This heat cycle is lasting longer and seems more aggressive than others she has had. I gave her a 200 C Hyoscyamus today on the off chance that might help (probably won't). Unless someone has a better option, I'm afraid the scales are tipping toward spaying before we leave for Canada this summer--it will be difficult to contain her up there the way we are able to do here. I really don't want to do it, but I also don't know what else to do.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hiya Kelley-

Try this (it works with my unspayed 9 year young female Rex cat):

Most kitties periodically take a particular posture when they are in heat.

In it she will be crouching low to the ground and sticking her butt up in the air.

When you see it, try vigorously rubbing her tail base which is where her tail meets her back.

If that doesn't do it, try pushing the thumb of the same hand against her belly at the same time.

I'll ask Amy to take a demonstrative picture next time Tiggy is in heat.

Please let us know if you try this.

Dr. Jeff

K

kelley

Hi Dr. Jeff. Wondering how often and for how long you do this on Tiggy? Does she go out of heat right away, hours later, days later?
Pako is mostly Siamese and they apparently start ovulating at a somewhat earlier age than other cat breeds, around 5 mos. Do you know if they are idiosyncratic in other ways regarding their reproductive cycles?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Usually I do it whenever she "calls". This varies depending on the cycle and can be just once or multiple times/day.

She yowls one last time then rolls to show that she has ovulated and is done. Typically within a few minutes.

Great question about the individuality of each breed (or individual).

It's best to ask the breeder about her line.

In general, no I don't know of other expressions of idiosyncrasy.

K

kelley

Okay, I'm a bit confused. Let's say the heat cycle usually lasts 10 days. Would you expect this kind of intervention to shorten that cycle or just ameliorate the most effusive behavior?
I just tried it on Pako and she yowled and jumped off my lap in about ten seconds. That was five minutes ago and now she's back....

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
HA!

My answer about her response is...

It depends. In general it will stop the effusive behavior and not shorten her cycle.

However, in some individuals it may stop all cycling for days-weeks-months.

Especially if the kitty in question is uber-sensitive to the intervention of "aggressive petting".

G

ginnyw

I was quite gratified, as well as amused, by this thread. It is absolutely appropriate and necessary to address the needs of our intact animals when we can. I have never tried, past a few simple touches, to ease the urgency of a female dog - I would love to hear if someone has. The boys, of course, are not a problem:)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for your post Ginny.

Intact female dogs in heat don't typically "call out" (scream or yowl) the way cats do.

I was woken many nights as a young vet in the ER by intact female cat guardians who thought that there kitty was crying out in pain when she was actually in heat.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom