• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Senior dog with cognitive issues

MarijkeH

Registered
Would love information on a couple of supplements that are said to be very helpful when it comes to brain health.
I have already purchased ubiquinol - which is said to be a more readily available version of coq10 - was hoping to halve the recommended dosage for Indi. However this has proven a little more difficult as the capsules have a liquid gel in them. Hence I decided to firstly ask about the dosage and then figure out how best to divide 'ubiquinol 150'
Also, is it ok for dogs to have Ginkgo Biloba - that's Ginkgo Biloba 6000.
Indi weighs approximately 24kg.

Dr Jeff

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Both of these are fine to use.

As you know, they are not drugs so the effect may be separate from any particular dose (some dogs respond well to very small amounts whereas others need more).

What is the size and brand of the supplements?

IMHO tho, homeopathy, snuffling and nature therapy are the most effective ways to treat cognitive dysfunction.

Francine's book about her journey and research into cognitive dys-function may be useful:

MarijkeH

Registered
Both of these are fine to use.

As you know, they are not drugs so the effect may be separate from any particular dose (some dogs respond well to very small amounts whereas others need more).

What is the size and brand of the supplements?

IMHO tho, homeopathy, snuffling and nature therapy are the most effective ways to treat cognitive dysfunction.

Francine's book about her journey and research into cognitive dys-function may be useful:

Thank you Dr Jeff ... Will definitely track down a means of purchasing the book :) ... Cannot order anything from Amazon as that site does not recognize my address - should be able to order it through a 'nearby' book store.
The supplements are: 'Herbs of gold' ginkgo biloba 6000. 'Nutri Vital professional' ubiquinol 150
Indi has been enjoying her sniff walks, and with my health returning she is now going morning and evening whenever possible (dependent on weather).
Was told by animal communicator/vet to give Indi only lamb - in other words, no more organ blend, eggs or sardines. (says that Indi is having tummy problems) I have a problem with that as, from what I understand, organ meats can assist with healing the specific organ. Sardines and eggs - in my opinion - were helping with brain function?

Dr Jeff

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Marijke!

'Herbs of gold' ginkgo biloba 6000
It looks like ~120mg/cap so perhaps start with just 1/2 cap/day and see how it effects her.
'Nutri Vital professional' ubiquinol 150
Unfortunately I can't find that specific product in order to get more info about it (their CoQ 150 has a different name and ingredient). Since absorption is a huge issue with Co-Q then perhaps just start with 1/day.

Are you able to get Xymogen products in Australia? Their CoQMax with omegas would be a great supplement for Indi.

has been enjoying her sniff walks, and with my health returning she is now going morning and evening whenever possible (dependent on weather).
Fantastic! I'm so glad to hear your health is better too!!

The more time you spend outside (even if you just sit on the ground and look around), the better you'll both get.
I have a problem with that
Me too. Perhaps rely on your intuition (animal communication comes down to getting quiet, listening deeply, and trusting the messages you get...)

MarijkeH

Registered
Thank you Dr Jeff,
Am feeling very concerned about her condition at the moment.
2 days ago we took her to the chiropractor for adjustments. Well since then she is getting progressively worse. She started leaning to her right and it's becoming consistently worse.
Actually, will need to have a consult to see if we can nut out what is happening. In the meantime I shall stop giving her both the ginkgo and ubiquinol to be sure that is not the issue.

Dr Jeff

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Normally those supplements are fine, but she's pretty small dog. I have seen cats develop neuro problems on CoQ10 at too high a dose, so good plan to discontinue. Don't think ginkgo will hurt, but probably won't help either.

If you can get the Bach flower essence Scleranthus, it's great for dizziness and wobbling as you describe. Add Crab Apple and Rescue Remedy, too if possible. Here's the complete low-down on how to use them: Do-It -Yourself Bach Flower Essences | Little Big Cat - Dr. Jean Hofve

MarijkeH

Registered
Thank you Jean for that information ... definitely something to consider.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom