• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Supplements for dog with Degenerative Mitral Valve...

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
My 13yo Maltese, Koby, had a two-month followup checkup with his cardiologist today... He was diagnosed with Mitral Valve Degeneration a few years ago.

The diagnosis we received today just broke my heart. The cardiologist said Koby's heart had enlarged with mild amount of edema in the lungs. An increased dosage of his heart medications was suggested. This was a shock to me, because 1) his heart had, overall, reduced in size just two months ago, and, 2) his BEAM has been decent except for the constant coughing (he also has collapsed trachea). Some of his behaviors/habits when he was a puppy had actually came back also... Anyhow, I was told that without increase in his heart meds, he'd only have 3-6 months to live. I'm devastated to say the least.

I asked Dr. Jeff to go over a list of supplements and come up with a new protocol for Koby. With supplements, I do not want to overdo it, which I had done so in the past. My "holistic care team" (as mentioned in many EH! sessions; not sure if I remembered the name correctly) is comprised of several holistic and not-so-holistic vets and each vet had suggested a list of supplements...so the combined list is LONG. Based on their suggestions, I did some research as well as talking with other pet guardians re experiences on these supplements...and here's what I have on hand.

Anyhow, Dr. Jeff suggested that I start a thread in the Forum, so here it is:

First, He is currently on the following medications and homeopathic remedy:
1) Pimobendan- from 1.5mg to 2mg, x3 per day
2) Furosemide - from 6.25mg x3 per day to 12.5mg in the morning and 6.25mg mid-day and at night.
3) Spironolactone 25mg - hold for now until a week later, after getting new kidney values in blood work.

Homeopathic remedy: Puls 30c 5/Q

Second, Koby is on raw and home cooked food. Since he's on snuffle mat every day, he only eats one meal per day, instead of two. He gets one hardboiled organic chicken egg yolk every day. He does not like Answers raw. He's on SoulyRaw .. will try SmallBatch again.

Finally, here's the list of supplements. I have all these on hand but not all are given every day. I give consistently every day Ubiquinol, Bovine Trachea powder and Nutrigest.

Please let me know, @Dr. Jeff what you would suggest for Koby and how much to give each:

1. RX Vitamin Formula CV
  2. Standard Process Canine Cardiac Support
  3. Thorne Research Bio-Cardio
  4. Ubiquinol - 200mg per day
  5. CoQmax ME
  6. Omega 3 oil by Dr. Peter Dobias (it's called Feel Good Omega) - I give sardine 3x per week
  7. SmartZyme
  8. Rx Vitamin D3
  9. Rx Vitamin Amino B Plex
  10. Answer's goat milk 1-2oz/day
  11. Floraphage
  12. ProBio
  13. Dia-Assist
  14. Rx Vitamin Nutrigest
  15. Rx Vitamin Rx Clay
  16. Dr. Harvey's Runs Be Gone
  17. Standard Process Canine Enteric Support
  18. Ancestral Grass Fed Bovine Trachea Powder (Amazon.com: Ancestral Supplements Bovine Tracheal Cartilage (with Liver) — Supports Healing, Immune, Joint Health (180 Capsules): Health & Personal Care)
  19. Mushroom Harvest 14 Mushroom Blend Powder (14 Mushroom Blend Powder Cert. Org 1 lb., Mushroom Harvest)
  20. Dr. Judy Morgan's Senior Wellness (Dr. Morgan's Wellness Formula)
  21. Dr. Peter Dobias' Green Min (GreenMin - All Natural Mineral Superfood - Dr. Dobias Natural Healing)
  22. Dr. Peter Dobias' Soul Food (SoulFood - Certified Organic Multivitamin - Dr. Dobias Natural Healing)
  23. Dandelion Tincture
  24. CBD oil by NuLeaf and Lazarus Natural
  25. LifeVantage Petandum
  26. Rx Vitamin Bio-C
  27. [latest addition] Mitochondrial NRG
  28. Standard Process Canine Musculoskeletal Support
  29. E-Lyte
  30. Animal Essentials Hawthorn tincture
That's it for now.... Thank you.

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hiya @kingsgrlie-

I'm sorry to hear that your cardiology visit was so upsetting.

The data (her exam and echo findings) is only one piece of the puzzle of Koby's longevity and quality of life.

Part of his (and your) quality of life is not needing to use 30 supplements.

None of the supplements are essential unless you've found that Koby's vit D blood level is low.

I'd agree that the CoQ should be given daily, but you can also use CoQ Max alone instead of 2 separate coenzyme formulas.

The only other things on your list that you may want to use every day is the E-Lyte and mitochondrial NRG.

The rationale being that these supplements are designed to help increase cellular energy which is what his heart needs to heal.

In addition, depending on his timeline and use of Pulsatilla, it might be time to re-evaluate for a new remedy based on the data from the echo.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Koby is so blessed to have you as a mom.

Thank you for starting this thread. As many people have multiple practitioners on their health care team, they, too, may generate a long list of suggested/almost forcibly suggested medicines and supplements.

You show that it is good to take that list and evaluate it for which ones you want to use now. One way is to ask the one person you most value their opinion. Then re-look for yourself and see if there seems to be good indication, when you read the ingredients, to add as well.

Another approach is to learn, and keep practicing, a way to "test" the body to see which are needed each day. Muscle testing, pendulums, Applied Kinesiology, dowsing are all different ways to ask yes/no questions.

Do let us know in another thread about the homeopathic decisions you and Dr. Jeff make for Koby. Since the heart was better a few months ago, and now worse, it would be important to carefully evaluate anything that may have changed in lifestyle/environment.

Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom