• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Senior cat constipated

MarijkeH

Registered
Hi,
Henney, a 20-21 year old male cat is eating heaps and barely pooping. Is it possible to add a little slippery elm to his food? - (*will it still work with food? *Is it ok for cats? *what would the dosage be as he weighs only around 3kg?)

Dr Jeff

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Well that's no way to start a new year, poor Henney!

For immediate constipation relief, Vaseline is my secret weapon. A nice chunk, pressed between his back teeth so he has to swallow. Give 2 hours apart from food.

For longer term, you can use slippery elm, here is my treatise about it:
Slippery Elm | Little Big Cat - Dr. Jean Hofve

You can substitute marshmallow root as well, which is not endangered and probably much cheaper.

MarijkeH

Registered

For immediate constipation relief, Vaseline is my secret weapon. A nice chunk, pressed between his back teeth so he has to swallow. Give 2 hours apart from food.

You can substitute marshmallow root as well, which is not endangered and probably much cheaper.

Thank you for the reply :) Great information - Will make up the recipe right now - Is it ok to give it with food? (in case he won't eat it on it's own)

Dr Jean

MarijkeH

Registered
Another question: How much taurine can I give to my cats? I take about 1/4 of a teaspoon (if that would work as a guide)

Dr Jean

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Cats require about 80-100 mg/day total taurine. I assume meat has none, since the amount can vary greatly depending on species, cut, etc. It's very safe, you *could* give 250mg a day without any concern other than palatability, but beyond that you are just wasting $$.

MarijkeH

Registered
Cats require about 80-100 mg/day total taurine. I assume meat has none, since the amount can vary greatly depending on species, cut, etc. It's very safe, you *could* give 250mg a day without any concern other than palatability, but beyond that you are just wasting $$.
Thank you for this information. Also appreciate the links :)

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom