• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Sedation for cat grooming

AlexaH

Registered
hello! I'm not sure if this is the correct forum category for this but looking for suggestions... my 2 cats absolutely hate being brushed/having their nails clipped (one is a long hair and gets matted and the other has a thick medium length coat), we would love to be able to do it at home since going to the groomer is stressful for them but it's quite difficult so we typically get them groomed at the vet 2x per year and they need to sedate them in order to bathe/brush them. they also suggest we give gabapentin for any other vet visit because they can get testy. i really hate putting them through this so i am posting here to see if there are any natural alternatives/suggestions... the sedation from grooming makes them very loopy when they are home and their behavior/appetite takes days to get back to normal. we did switch to a raw diet 4 weeks ago so i'm hoping that will help with their coats in general but of course they will still need brushing and nails clipped. thank you so much in advance for any insight and support!

@Dr. Christina @Dr. Jeff

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Alexa!

I'm sorry to hear about your kitty's coat challenges.

Yes, the raw diet will help.

Do they love, love, love any particular treat?

If they do, perhaps start by using it as an incentive to gradually get them to accept a little brushing (even if you start with a super soft brush just to get them used to it).

Also consider a skin and coat supplement like:

Also, cat expert @Dr. Jean Hofve and trainer/groomer @jenb may have other tips.

jenbridwell

VIP Member
HA! Faculty
Hi Alexa-
As Dr. Jeff mentioned, using a really yummy, novel treat may help- but you may have to back up even more by desensitizing to the brush- show the brush, treat on repeat until the cats see the brush as a good thing, then one stroke, and treat, and so on. If they are matted, a soft brush won't help, but can help get them used to the process. You want to think in terms of maintaining them so they don't have to go to a groomer. There are groomers who specialize in cats, as well as mobile groomers, so those might be viable options for you. In the meantime, plain cornstarch is an excellent"dry shampoo" to help combat the greasies.
Best-
Jen

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom