• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email [email protected].

Second heat in two months

SandyD

VIP Member
Registered
Joined
Apr 14, 2023
Messages
2
My GSD puppy is just about 10 months old. She had her first heat right at 8 months. Now she just started a second heat cycle only 2 months later. Is this something that happens with young dogs? Her BEAM is fine although she's gotten picky about her food recently. Working on that after a discussion with Dr. Jeff last week. :) I just want to know if this quick turnaround in heat cycles is something to be concerned about.
 
This is an EWS (early warning sign) and is asking for you to keep an eye on it!

This is a great clue to her underlying individuality.
 
okay... EWS for what? Pyometra or something else?
Should I expect this heat to last the full 3 weeks or is that what I'm keeping an eye on?
 
Since you have a pup, have you put together a wonderful holistic health care team, virtual and local? Reading Elizabeth Ann Johnson's book on matching dogs to their Chinese type can help predict potential physical needs and best emotional approaches. One of our members posted this about the book: Frisco is clearly a wood element dog and reading Elizabeth Johnson's book about characteristics and support has been very helpful. If I didn't have that information I would be struggling to understand and work with him. Frisco is my 5th Bernese Mountain Dog and none of the others were Wood so he is teaching me a lot. He is challenging and fun!

Dr. Christina
 
Back
Top Bottom