• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Seasonal allergy in 5 yr old dog

JoannC

VIP Member
Registered
Can anyone recommend a remedy to help Meadow. It seems benedry is not helping. Thank you.

Meadow is a mix breed terrier with dominant Cairn and Yorkshire traits rescue and will be 6 you on May 13, 2021. She weighs 19.5 pounds. She has been with me, her forever home since she was three months old, and though she is a rescue, some is known of her immediate family. Her mom, a very young, pregnant stray, underwent multiple stressors such as lacking shelter and scrounging for food and water. She was sent to a kill shelter and rescued from that circumstance. Mom is also a mix breed terrier, also with dominant Cairn and Yorkshire traits. Mom had a litter of three. Meadow was the smallest and spunkiest. Her sister died from allergies and multiple skin conditions. Meadow suffers seasonal allergies, with primarily eye and nasal symptoms. She sounds congested and snores. Here eyes run most of the year and it's discharge, but it is worse when allergies begin near the end of February all the way to first frost. I have had her on Benedryl for seasonal allergy symptoms, but I think it has started to inset her stomach. I would like some recommendations for a homeopathic remedy to help improve her allergies.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Thanks, Joanne, for wanting to permanently heal Meadow. Poor gal - she has most of year with problems.

Homeopathy is a very individualized medicine, so there is not "a homeopathic medicine" that heals nasal allergies. It would be best to set up an appointment with a veterinary homeopath. As a member you can work with Dr. Jeff (at How Do I Become a New Client of Dr. Jeff Feinman's Homeopathic Veterinary Practice in Connecticut?), or let us know where you live and we can help you find holistic help.

There are some general holistic approaches that can improve vitality and begin to ease her symptoms.

Is she on a fresh food diet? What are you feeding her? Often switching to a great diet clears up "allergies" and may be needed even with homeopathic treatment

Do you take her on a lot of walks and let her really sniff a lot? Have you tried a snuffle mat? Some members have reported major improvements from this.

Are you avoiding chemicals of all kinds? They are found in flea and tick products, some shampoos, in your home, in non-organic foods, in vaccines, in the home, yard and even neighbors!

Dr. Christina

JoannC

VIP Member
Registered
Thank you Dr Christina, my friend wants to know if there is a remedy for seasonal allergy she could try now. She wanted to let the team know a bit more...and thank you!

Meadow is primarily an indoor dog. She does go outside in her own yard in the summer months and nicer weather, but she remains inside for winter, using pads. The yard in chemical free. She eats a diet of home cooked, lightly cooked meat, sweet potato and peas with some limited ingredient Zignature dog kibble for each meal. The ratio is about 50/50 lightly cooked meat and vegetable to kibble. She also enjoys raw vegetables for snacking.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Excellent that she is on a partially fresh diet - that is moving in the right direction.

There is not one treatment I can suggest, as at Holistic Actions we are not treating individuals...merely giving guidance and some things to try. I mentioned a few. Sometimes there is a food ingredient causing problems, so I would suggest using different vegetables each week. Also, she could work with Dr. Sue Howell (you can listen to her on the Empower Hour recordings) https://thrivepetvet.com/meet-us for telephone diet and allergin consultation and testing. She can also suggest some great supplements like omega oils, immune builders and more.

Because she does not go outside much, I would suggest a snuffle mat. Some members have reported major improvements from this.

Flower essences are 100% safe, so she could try some of the pet combos. Try for a month and then try another. (again the best is to work with a veterinary homeopath).
1. Easy-Breather
2. Breathe | Green Hope Farm Flower Essences
3. Anaflora Flower Essence Formulas - Regular Formulas - immune boost as that may help
4. Allergies, or Respiratory System
Read about other essences to see if one may fit the personality or the symptoms she is showing.

Maybe have your friend read some of the materials at HA! to learn more about the idea of building balance and vitality to restore health along with permanently eliminating symptoms rather than focusing on the symptoms.

Dr. Christina

JoannC

VIP Member
Registered
Thank you Dr Christina, I will share your suggestions with her. She wanted to also say that her home is very green as far as checmical use. No prparabens, dyes, etc. She has reduced toxic load for years now and it isn't a lifestyle. She does not have food with dyes or preservatives either. All products are fragrance free and environmentally friendly.
I think that is what is so perplexing is that these allergies of watery eyes, and snoring congestion at night is troubling. Thank you!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom