• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Revolution for Cats (dewormer/heartworm med)

CaseyJ

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello All:
Quick update - my cat, Star, was diagnosed with mammary cancer in July. She had a double chain mastectomy on August 11.
Today is the first of the month and I would normally give my cats their dose of Revolution (dewormer/heartworm med). It's a liquid that you squirt on the cat right between their shoulder blades. I used to give it to them (I have two cats - Star, and a boy, Stony) regularly but I noticed that Stony would lose his fur at the site that I applied the Revolution, which definitely worried me but the vet said it was normal :( Now, with Star's cancer diagnosis, I am really weary of giving it to them... I know that they can get heartworm from a mosquito biting them and while they are indoor cats, it is possible for mosquitoes to fly into the house... so do I give it to them or not? I am also wondering the same about vaccinations. I really don't want to vaccinate them anymore. They are both 10/11 years old and indoor-only. I am told that you can carry distemper into the house on your shoes. But I feel that at this point in their lives, they have received enough vaccinations... and I don't want to invite cancer back into either of them! Thoughts?
Thank you
Casey

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Casey-

I hope that Star has recovered fully after her mastectomy.

lose his fur at the site that I applied the Revolution, which definitely worried me but the vet said it was normal

Yes, it is common to have hair loss and skin irritation where you apply Revolution. But "normal"?

Yes, a mosquito can fly into the house. And yes, cats have been known to get heartworms.

FWIW, I have never seen a sick cat from heartworm in 35+ years.

Yes, the model of internal balance and avoiding toxins says that you should be super cautious with the kitty's, especially Star, and artificial anything.

Vaccines are in the toxin category.

You are so right about inviting cancer back! Everything we do for our pets (and ourselves) may play a role in later development of cancer.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom