• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Remedies, constitutional, acute

Carol L.

All-Access Member
Registered
100 x 100 of remedies. Some considered constitutional, but can also be used for acute.
Might any, or many, of remedies be considered as constitutional also? Even if not “labeled” as such?
I would imagine that some remedies are strictly for acute situations?
This may have been gone into at some point in all discussions, sorry if I missed the boat on it.
Thank you.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, thanks for asking Carol!

This is a very important question.

No. There are no specific acute or constitutional remedies.

To better understand this answer, let's start by describing what is really meant by the term constitutional.

In Hahnemannian homeopathy, the "constitution" of the individual can be seen through the totality of Vitality and Balance.

This "gestalt" can be appreciated by the keen observer and homeopath through the internal (diagnostic tests) and external (like BEAM) symptoms.

Any homeopathic medicine can act curatively and deeply if it matches this totality.

Here's a great series of articles from master homeopath David Little about constitution:

There are however certain remedies that are associated more frequently with this deep curative action.

These tend to be medicines that are derived from components, often minerals, found in the body.

However, remedies are also frequently made from plants and animals like Pulsatilla and Apis.

The plant and animal medicines are often used for acute problems and are therefore considered to be acute remedies.

These same remedies may also be used in chronic dis-eases as long as the totality of symptoms, and not just the acute ones, agree.

Here's another article from David that explains, in detail, the difference between these 3 types of homeopathic medicines:

The bottom line Carol is that any homeopathic medicine/remedy can be a constituional remedy.

This is an important but confusing topic, so please ask for any clarification.

Carol L.

All-Access Member
Registered
Wow. Thank you Dr Jeff. After reading the articles you listed, I am even more amazed with homeopathy! So many levels, intertwined.
It is definitely confusing. I need another life to read, reread, reread before I can begin to ask for your help in clarifying anything! But think I do have better understanding of “constitutional”.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're very welcome Carol!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi again Carol.

I was thinking further about your post about the many intertwined levels of homeopathy.

Detailed study of it is indeed amazing and is very rewarding.

Learning the intracies of healing is fascinating and complex.

Fortunately, you don't need to know many details.

All you need to do is:

Work with your pets bodies using their natural Vitality and Balance.

Building and preserving Vitality is done using general holistic support like feeding fresh foods, increasing sun and fresh air exposure, social engagement and interaction with the environment and avoiding toxins (like the mercury, aluminum etc. in vaccines).

You can go beyond this by "fine-tuning" your pets Balance using homeopathy.

Just observe, write down and report any 4 P symptom or any other change that you observe.

Then you or a professional homeopath can put them all together to find helpful remedies.

This weekend you'll learn more about using your pets symptoms and Kent's repertory to find helpful, potentially curative, homeopathic medicines.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Some of the confusion, Carol, about "constitutional" may come from people who have not even read the few articles you read at Dr. Jeff's suggestion.

Also, there is a desire, especially in the United States, to find a quick cure, the one magic pill. The focus is on stopping symptoms rather than building health. When a homeopath, then, speaks of giving a constitutional medicine and all the symptoms resolve and do not return, and it stops all future symptoms, it seems like the magic pill.

Two homeopaths, Miranda Castro and Nick Nossaman, gave a wonderfully funny and clarifying skit at one of the National Center for Homeopathy's Annual conferences. He was a monk in search of the "similimum" - that which would cure any past, current and future ailment. She was a jester and said this "silly milly mum" could not exist. At the end, they agreed it was worth looking for and that their careful questioning and listening to each other was in itself deeply curative.

Finding the medicine that most closely fits your pet's current symptoms, past problems, and any changes in general way of being is always my goal. Sometimes this is the "constitutional" and we have a completely cure that nothing seems to disturb. Often, it improves quality of life for a time, and more treatments are needed to keep the forward progression.

Thanks Carol, for prompting discussion on this important topic.

Dr. Christina

JoanD

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Drs. Christina and Jeff, I have a few questions about using any remedy. How do we know how often to administer a constitutional remedy? When do we know to stop using it?

I'm asking because my cat was taking nux vomica as her constitutional remedy. We had tried at least 4 others that made her slightly better and then worse no matter how dilute. Nux seemed only to make her better. Then after many months a heart murmur returned along with an irregular heartbeat. Over the past 6 weeks she went downhill fast. She had stopped eating and lost 4 pound (almost a quarter of her weight) very fast. I stopped the remedy after changing her diet several times to try and figure out what the problem was. After stopping the remedy, she has regained 2 pounds and is eating more but still not enough. While she was taking nux she also took Active Again from Hope Science recently (for a month) and her back pain improved quite a bit. Since stopping the nux about a month ago she has been much happier and more awake. She no longer takes any thyroid meds (herbal or felizimole). It was making her sleep all the time so I stopped it completely and her beam is much better. I believe the nux really helped with almost all symptoms except the kidney disease and the need to drink a lot.

The heart situation has me worried. As for pranayama, she goes outside several times a day and will chase a rabbit or sniff around for rabbits when we go out. I was playing find the pea with her in the house but she lost interest. She likes green peas and I can roll them along the floor to get her chasing them. I can't use normal treats because they are dry and make her constipated or they may have phosphorous and be problematic for her kidneys. I'm waiting to have an appointment with my homeopathic vet but it won't happen any time soon. Her breathing sounds labored every time she eats and I'm really concerned about her heart and how to improve things.

I would like to purchase a Materia Medica. Which do you think is a good one for a novice? Thank you.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great dosing questions @JoanD! :thumbsup:

A forum search for "dosing" might be useful, for example, this thread:

Regardless, the answer to both of your questions is based on the symptom responses to the doses.

Dosing of acute and chronic, aka constitutional, homeopathic medicines is like building a campfire.

Once the spark of the remedy ignites the kindle of Sera's terrain, you wait and watch as long as her flame, aka BEAM, is growing.

If her flame keeps growing, you keep waiting, otherwise you dose.

In Sera's case, if I recall, she is older in which case it might be harder to get a fire going without seeing other age-related changes like heart dis-ease.

Personally, I'd review dosing and changes very closely and be very cautious with future Nux doses.

As you are doing, focus on pranayama, but perhaps increase the hunt for treats game if you can find suitable high value treats.

How about ground up Wysong Dream Treats or Bonito flakes in a snuffle mat?

Does the campfire and dosing analogy resonate for you at all?

This is a bit messy (shake the mat outside when she is done) but can work well.

Also have you tried ~1/4 cup of E-Lyte (by Body Bio) diluted using 2 caps in 1 cup of water??

JoanD

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Dr. Jeff, Thank you for the information. I think I'm at the stage that I'm unsure how to proceed with the new remedy. We switched her from nux to suIphur. It made a huge difference and she is eating again. I can't get Sera to drink her fountain water when it has E-Lyte in it. She now drinks from her water bowl instead of the fountain since I first tried the E-Lyte. Maybe I can syringe it into her mouth. Sera is losing energy due to lack of breath so I don't think playing with the snuffle mat is going to help. She needs to be able to get more air. We take walks outside and she chases an occasional rabbit but really can't move very fast. She is wobbly and I think we need to do something before it gets worse. As I said, she wants to eat and drink and walk but the breathing is so labored.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Joan, but I'm very sad to hear about Seraphina.?

Her breathing issue makes me wonder about fluid in her chest.

Can Dr. Jan hear anything in her chest?

Assessing fluid in or around the lungs is a good reason for x-rays.

Yes, the snuffle mat will help her get more air?

Do any vets around you do ozone? That could help as well.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom