• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Raw organ meat for dogs - Kidney and Heart

sdeilus

All-Access Member
Registered
I'm looking for a place to buy raw kidneys and hearts to feed to Raine. She's my golden that has kidney disease because of lyme and Dr. Jeff has suggested I feed her raw kidney to help her. She also has high blood pressure, so I figure some heart meat would be a good things for her too.

Just don't know where I can find either kidneys or heart meat. Can anybody help?

Sue Deilus

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Sue-

Here's the source I just mentioned when we spoke:

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Asian markets are often a good source of organs and other odd bits, notably pork. We also rely upon the Tripe/Organ Meat Blend from www.greentripe.com. They ship; perhaps you can get a group to order.

tsharlo1

All-Access Member
Registered
I get organ meat from small local organic farms Do you have any within reasonable driving distance? maybe check farm markets. You can also order online from www.mypetcarnivore.com

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I purchased some raw bison kidney. I was asking about supplements a while back but thought I would first give the actual organ a try. My dog Gabby has Protein Losing Enteropathy and has been eating a gently cooked diet for the past year. I realize that even the commercial gently cooked food does not contain any organs so that is what prompted me to address this. She ate raw her whole life until this disease which is better now but caused protein to be lost through the intestines. So I don't know if I should take the chance and feed her some raw kidney. I can feed the OTHER dog, JJ some as he STILL eats a raw diet and does well (Although I do need to post his recent bloodwork which was worse than July). So the question is : for the dog, GABBY with the protein losing enteropathy (and needs a low fat diet), should I try the raw kidney? How much would I cut off for each meal and do I feed it daily or a few times a week? I am not sure if she can tolerate raw but maybe I should try it.

And would the dog who eats raw without a problem, how much would he get since he doesn't have dietary special needs? Thank you !

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Nothing about kidney is especially "rich" or prone to causing a reaction, other than that it is a boneless meat - which will always tend towards looser stool. It is high in nutritional value.
Each dog will have his own reaction to digesting it, but nothing to be concerned about - if they get loose, they'll get better. Just be conservative at first, with each of them. Any amount of such a nutritious food is a great idea!

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Ginny, thanks for the reassurance.. I fed it yesterday. I saw my dog with the Protein Losing Enteropathy lick her lips some but she was ok . I realized that for about a year with her homemade diet for that illness, she was getting NO ORGAN MEAT. It dawned on me: "She's a DOG" and needs some. She just had some blood work and kidneys are worse so hopefully incorporating the kidney will help. The other dog tolerated it fine so far too. I am going to order more along with some liver and heart.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Glad to hear it! I don't think there is much danger, like none, in feeding organ meats. Remember that this is the part that any carnivore eats first, and any alpha wolf owns when a kill is taken.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
@Ginny Gabby the dog with the Protein Losing Enteropathy is sensitive to fat. She needs low fat. So does Beef and lamb organs have more fat than bison? Also what is that white stuff that I found in the kidney and should I discard that. I was looking at heart organs and is there anything on that organ to discard? I fed about a 1 inch cube of the bison kidney and I don't know what the serving should be. Thanks!!

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
No appreciable difference between species here. The "white stuff" in kidneys IS largely fat, and can be snipped out if you feel that's wise. Those are the cells and tubes that collect the kidneys' output and direct it to the ureters. Some larger animal hearts are surrounded with a fatty layer, but it's easy to trim off. MMM! That's the best part:) We discard nothing, but that's us.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I believe I made the mistake of changing too much at one time with Gabby... I fed the bison kidney and also started the chinese herb she was prescribed all within 2 days time. I also rubbed some frankensense oil on her lipoma last night--probably used more than I should have. And started RX Vitamins Renal support.... All too much at once I guess. So today she did not want to eat and she has some lethargy and depression. She stood over her food bowl and just looked in the distance with a blank look on her face. But lately though I have had to point out her food bowl and she has been starting to eat with hesitancy. Today she just looked off into space. She just threw up some bile. I have no idea what is causing this because I made too many changes at once. Going forward I will offer a small bit of food later and no supplements. I wish she would let me put things in her mouth like slippery elm to make her feel better.She is aware of things but lethargic and depressed She just had bloodwork and urinalysis last week. Kidney values had gotten a bit more out of range
Creatinine went from 1.4 in August to now 1.7
BUN went from 46 in August to now 51
BUN Creatinine Ratio was 32.9 in August and is 30 now
Phosphorus was 4.0 in August and 4.6 now (normal ranges)
GGT went from a 2 to a 1
SDMA from 16 to now 21

ALT, AST and ALP are within range

Any thoughts please share. Appreciate it.... Thanks

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Doggone it, Lil... I agree that maybe you both need a little vacation from trying so hard:) I'd do as you propose, and later on just offer a bit of something you know she loves. And don't be upset if she doesn't want it. Although all the remedial items you want to give might indeed help in some cases, remember that this is a tired little body with lots of cumulative struggles, and she just may not have the energy to respond to all the "help" you have given. Why not just back off a bit, love her up, take her out, play with her, stroke her - do what you instinctively know makes her feel happy and secure, with no pressure at all? She may just need a rest from all the efforts to deal with the strange substances. There is no doubt in my mind that she wants to respond because she knows it pleases you, even on a deep physical level - but she can't, right now. The body is trying, but has barely the strength to stay with you, let alone mount a healing effort to something new. Love her, tell her you are right there with her, that you understand, and that you WILL be there and will honor her choices and needs. When she is ready for more, she'll let you know. You're a terrific, caring mom, Lil....

LilF

Community Member
Registered
@Ginny....timing is everything---thank you for your post...I have tears in my eyes......I took Gabby for some errands since I posted last and she was in the car a couple hours---they like the car---I let her in the house and I "think" she drank some water. I came inside and saw she had thrown up a lot---I assume bile and water. She is drinking water. But it is a catch 22. I don't think she wants to eat but if she doesn't she vomits bile. I know if I call the vet tomorrow they might suggest cerenia but isn't that a bandaid and prevent the body from detoxing or eliminating what ever is offending her? Or, I have had luck with slippery elm with the other dog, syringing it into his mouth. Should I try that? I have to do something to calm her stomach. Earlier, it was a very small vomit pile but this time with the water....spanned a few rooms. Should I try to syringe the slippery elm? What if she doesn't want any food. I am thinking she won't. I would cook her up a couple eggs but not sure she will accept it even though she likes them. Damn....the other dog is fine with the bison kidney and HIS chinese herb... UGH.... I am looking so old from all this :-((((

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Listen, I'm not the vet - but I wouldn't give anything, and especially not the Cerenia. Let her rest her gut - dogs can go without eating, and digesting is work. Cook an egg if you must, but don't force her - maybe eat it yourself, in full view and close, so she can show interest if she likes.

Deep breaths, OK? Keep us posted.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Update on Gabby... I thought she was improving.. This morning she ate her little meal soon as she gets up and also took her thyroid pill a couple hours later. She ate her bigger meal the same time she always does at about 12 noon. Then she spent some time in the fence outside and I had to leave for a few hours. I came back and she didn't seem that excited to see me... I drove her to go for a walk and when we got out of the car she just had a sad depressed look on her face and clearly did not want to walk so we left. I made her dinner and she just acted like she didn't know it was time to eat and had to be called a few times. She stood in front of her bowl but didn't even look at it, blank look , walked away She wags her tail when I walk by her and usually she sleeps after dinner but she is mostly awake. She was fine on friday and saturday. I gave her the chinese herbs fri and sat and stopped sunday. I also gave her the kidney. I saw her licking her lips saturday some before any indication she felt sick I would think if it was anything I fed or supplemented her with, she would be better by now. Last night she spit out the thyroid pill but took it willingly this morning. I am sure I will have trouble dosing her tonight
I don't know why she looked like she was improving and then slid back. No vomiting today that I know of and she is drinking water. She did vomit yesterday. I thought that slippery elm helps with upset stomach and thought maybe I should try and syringe some in her mouth but that would not be easy with her. I will probably have to have the vet pill her thyroid if she doesn't take it.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom