• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Rabies Vaccine for dog with Kidney Disease

E

ECaron85

My mom has an 8 year old yorkie who has been diagnosed with kidney disease. She is really upset because her vet wants to administer the rabies vaccine that she is due for next month. My mom doesn’t want to vaccinate her pup and was under the impression that a vet could ask for an exemption from the state because of the kidney disease. I am not sure what CT state laws are for the rabies vaccine or if there is a way for her to not have to vaccinate the dog but I was hoping someone could shed some light for us on the whole situation. Will the vaccine cause harm bc of the kidney disease? Is there anything she can do to get out of vaccinating her? If not is there anything she could give her dog prior to or after the vaccine to help the poor pooch out. Would anti-vaccinosis help in a situation like this? Please let me know your thoughts, my mom is a wreck.

juliewaite

All-Access Member
Registered
I'd like to know too about the rabies vaccine and kidney issues as well for my dog. Her blood work came back slightly elevated for the kidneys and pancreas. Her rabies vaccine is due any day now as well and I don't want her vaccinated regardless.

E

ECaron85

Is there anyone who can give their advice on vaccines for a dog with kidney disease?

cindypinera

All-Access Member
Registered
I had a dog with epilepsy. I did the Rabies titer thru my vet and a letter of exemption was written. However I live in Florida. Getting around the Rabies vaccination requirement is tricky if the information is sent to the state. Most of my dogs came from California. Rabies vaccine was part of the shipping requirement. After that I never vaccinated again. I do not get notices from the state because I do not send them the information to purchase the Rabies tag. I also have a holistic vet that does not demand the Rabies vaccine and is satisfied with the Rabies titer. My dogs are never boarded. I hire a pet sitter. Obedience classes require proof of vaccination. I give them a copy of the certificate and then do not participate in any future classes past the three year mark. I am taking a chance but I am ready for any legal issues by doing the Rabies titer.
If you get reminders from the State of Connecticut regarding the expiration of your Rabies tag, you could just ignore them. They don't know if your dog is still alive so they will not come knocking on your door. Then do the Rabies titer and be ready for a possible future legal issue.

SusanI

All-Access Member
Registered
If your dog has any health issues, it’s my understanding that vaccines are only meant to be administered to healthy pets. My vet doesn’t push it. “A little past due” does not equal expired. But how do you find a groomer? It seems few if any know anything about the actual duration of immunity.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom