• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Questions about NMN supplement by iHerb for my cat

RuthR

VIP Member
Registered
After seeing the Empower Hour talk by Dr. Peter Dobias where he spoke about NMN supplements, I would like to try giving some to my 14-year old, 18 pound Maine Coon cat, Teddy, to see if it might improve his energy level. Dr. Jeff, I think you referred to the California Gold Nutrition NMN capsules, and I have a couple of questions:

- How would I know what dose to give Teddy?
- The instructions state to take without food. The way I give supplements to Teddy is in his food - how important is it to give the NMN without food?
- Under the Third Party Tested section on the information page (https://www.iherb.com/pr/california-gold-nutrition-nmn- 175-mg-60-veggie-capsules/104104), there is a link to the "iTested Report". Under the Heavy Metal Analysis, it shows that there are levels of arsenic, cadmium, mercury, and lead in it. Why is this, and what does it mean?

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
I can only offer that the NMN supplement we use, recommended by an astute and cutting-edge vet, is a powder to be sprinkled on his food. I also take a capsule of a different source, powdered, with food. First I heard.... I also don't believe that overdosing is going to be critical; I think it's pretty benign stuff.
No clue on the metals, but I could imagine these levels are not unusual in many supplements.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Why is this, and what does it mean?
Great question Ruth!

I haven't seen the report so ,y best answer is as Ginny says (slight contamination of many foods and supplements is common nowadays).

Perhaps check out the source that Ginny mentioned.

BTW-I use the powdered version as well.

RuthR

VIP Member
Registered
It won't let me copy and paste, so I'll type the heavy metals test results:

Arsenic 0.073 mcg
Cadmium 0.011 mcg
Mercury 0.015 mcg
Lead 0.259 mcg

The powder says to take one scoop (0.3 g) daily.

Ginny, do you mind telling me what brand you give to your pet and how much you give him? Does he mind the taste of it?

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
It is unbranded, at least when it gets to me. It comes as a powder, with a tiny scoop, and for his weight - 67lbs - he gets two scoops, or 240mg. It appears this vet packages it for his own sale, at www.NaturalPet.Health. Yuji doesn't even notice it, and it tastes neutral. NMN is not a drug, just a supplement, so dosing is not critical, IMO.

There is plenty of info, and a degree of skepticism (naturally), available online.

RuthR

VIP Member
Registered
Ginny, thank you so much for sharing your sourcing information! I ordered the NMN powder on Sunday and it was shipped the next day. I can't wait to get Teddy started on it.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Cool! Let us know when/if you notice improvement. I just assume it's doing what it can...

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom