• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Feeding Cat with Pancreatitis

BarbR

All-Access Member
Registered
I need some advice on feeding a cat with pancreatitis/triad disease and some degree of hepatic lipidosis. She was diagnosed 2 weeks ago after a couple of false starts. Her illness became evident 5 weeks ago (Jan 8). It started with vomiting and appetite loss.

Her current treatment is eating 160-190 kcal daily plus two B12 injections (.4 ml) weekly. She has had 4 doses of Lachesis 30c, the last was yesterday.

After her diagnosis and start of this treatment, for 11 days she was eating and all was going well, but Friday night she resisted supper, yesterday worse – nibbling a bit (only got 112 kcal, some forced), today back to lethargy and refusing to even try to eat. I forced a half-breakfast into her. She's stuffing her head into corners or against surfaces and looks miserable again.
On Thursday she “overate” her target (with enthusiasm) and got about 220 kcals, and there was a large supper contributing to that. Is this probably what triggered this dive? If so, was it probably more the big meal or the overall daily total that was more aggravating? Also, any tips on how to get her back on the chow quickly appreciated.

The vets have mentioned the potential need for a feeding tube. I see some benefit to that over force feeding -- in terms of our relationship -- but if we can turn on the appetite again quickly, I hope to avoid that. However, another consideration is that I have to travel next week (Feb 19-25). I have regular support in feeding, but they aren't here all day to fuss with her, and neither are any good at calculating calories (but I can support the latter long distance -- despite a big time zone difference). There could be advantage to a feeding tube for this period in that they could feed the same thing daily without worrying about Reba rejecting it based on her preferences. My hope is that homeopathy can get and keep her going without a feeding tube.

Reba's normal diet is fresh frozen raw: Darwin’s chicken or turkey and Raw Paws beef, lamb, or goat; and Primal dehydrated raw rabbit or duck (rehydrated). During the decline I gave her whatever she would eat, which included canned, pouches – smooth pates. Now I added some Stella & Chewy’s dehydrated raw chicken – digestive blend; Beech Nut baby food (turkey, beef, chicken), Primal dehydrated rabbit, Red Hills Farm goat yogurt, Fancy Feast petites, Orijen canned, Core Canned. She has had very little fresh frozen raw, but has had the Primal dehydrated raw. Some desiccated organic beef liver powder for flavor. Usually, I give a mix that is 2/3-3/4 raw and the rest is something smooth.

Current Supplements: Dr. Mercola’s Vit B Complex; Biopreparation F1; Pet Health & Nutrition Repair & Strengthen; 4Life Transfer Factor; TCM 5 mushroom blend; Pet Wellbeing Core Immune Care; Pet’s Friend Immu G.O., Standard Process RenaFood (pet formula); Pet Health & Nutrition Ox Bile Powder; Xymogen Probio Defense; Optagest; Natural Whole Foods Formulations Microbiome harmony

Here’s more history:
On her first vet visit January 20, she was treated for arthritis because she was really working her mouth and tongue like she was experience a lot of discomfort – suspected that her jaw was affected, and it hurt to eat. She had a Solensia injection (Her right shoulder and left hip showed serious arthritis in an x-ray, too). She continued to not eat and lethargy grew. She was hospitalized for three days (Jan 24-26) on IV with dextrose and vitamins. She also received Onsior, Cerenia, Mirtazapine, and strated 10 days of Omeprazole for esophagitis). She ate there – baby food, Fancy Feast, etc. She came home with cerenia for vomiting and mirtazapine to boost appetite.

Back home she wouldn’t eat – even after another Mirtazapine. Less and less energy. Downright miserable. After a miserable weekend went to a different clinic for ultrasound and more specific blood test. The results were consistent with pancreatitis (See attached). While at the clinic she got another Cerenia injection and some gabapentin to calm her during the procedure.

I weighed her this morning at 6.2 lbs, after a measured low of 5.7 lbs. Her hydration has been good for the past 10 days. (I gave her sub cutaneous saline several times during her decline and early recovery)

Homeopathic treatment: Lachesis 30c on Jan 19, Feb 4, 6, and 11

Reba is an 11 year old spayed cat of no particular breed. She was found in good condition as a kitten of 3-4 months on the street in Khartoum, Sudan. She typically runs around 8 lbs. but She may have had a rabies injection in her first year. No vaccines since. She is an indoor-only cat and has many feline housemates – none of whom she appreciates in any way.

Her normal BEAM is “touchy”, i.e., easily offended and grouchy. She comes for affection when she wants it, and she has to have it just her way (which is hard to decipher) or she gets mad, squawks and strikes out with her (mostly sheathed) paw, and marches off in a huff. Rarely does she actually do any damage in her strikes. When the other cats approach, they get screamed at, but she has never attacked anyone enough to do any harm and when she is attacked (I have a couple who can be aggressive), she just tries to escape and doesn’t engage in battle. This has led to a couple of the more confident, playful guys to make her a target for chase. Even the sight of one of these can set her to screeching.

Her health history: Bad teeth – started having gum issues and extractions at 2 years. She’s never had a major illness before, but she has had spells of capricious eating – usually solved by caging her during meals.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Barb!

I'm sorry to hear that Reba is currently not doing well.

How's her weight and coat looking?

Has there been any change in BEAM since her Lach dose yesterday? How many succussions did you use for it?

BarbR

All-Access Member
Registered
Coat is great - soft an silky. She has put about a half pound back on during the 11 days of good eating.

Last Lach dose I used 15 successions. The previous were 10.

Her BEAM has continued to decline despite yesterday's Lach -- Last night was when she started the hiding head in corners/pressing head into surfaces.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Since she hasn't improved since this am, you may want to repeat the 15/ dose.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom