• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Question about Rimadyl

AlainaS

Community Member
Registered
Hi there. I'm wondering about continuing to use "Rimadyl (carprofen) Chewable Tablets for Dogs". Meeka, a 40lb rescued husky mix, gets 50mg in the morning once a day. She also has a supplement mixture (with peanut butter) of ground black pepper to help the absorption of turmeric, along with "HyaFlex Hyalogic Pro Pure Hyaluronic Acid Zinc Joint & Immune Support Dog Supplement" and ground flax seed and chia seed. She receives Gabapentin as well (I need to look at the package to recall the dosage). I don't see her struggle too much getting up. It takes her about 3 seconds on a carpeted surface. She has a senior wellness exam coming up this Monday at our vet clinic and I thought I'd look more into Rimadyl before going.

To give a bit more history, in the past, I gave CBD (a brand recommended by a vet) but I didn't notice any changes after 45 minutes so we stopped using it. We have flower essences, but they aren't given regularly. She has been eating a homemade vegan diet for about 7 years (we use Compassion Circle's Vegedog supplement as well) and eating vegan kibble in the morning for about a decade. Homemade food is given in the evening. She also gets fresh sweet potato chews daily and a whimzee for her teeth (while are in really good shape!) In November of 2022, she tore her CCL and received a brace made by Walking Paws in Boulder in addition to many months of physical therapy and holistic care (including laser and water therapy). She is going to be 17 years old in April.

I'd love to know more feedback about the Rimadyl and thoughts about that :) Thank you!

20230329_154420.jpg
A photo of Meeka:)

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'd love to know more feedback about the Rimadyl and thoughts about that
Great question Alaina!

What's Meeka's BEAM score (on a 1-10 scale with 10 being a great quality of life)?

I ask because at her age, if her BEAM score is 8 or above, I'd probably feel that the best is to keep doing what you're doing.

Perhaps focus on whatever makes Meeka happiest (food, walks, playing, etc.) as this can also allow reduction of the dose of Rimadyl:

You can find much more about Rimadyl and joint supplements by searching the forum and also searching for resources your member dashboard.

BTW-I moved this thread to the medical dis-ease folder so more people see it.

AlainaS

Community Member
Registered
Hi Dr. Jeff,

These are all very helpful resources. Thank you! I'll be reviewing them and learning more about BEAM :)

Many Thanks,

Alaina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Alaina!

I'm super glad that the resources could be helpful.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom