• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Preventing a Torn Cruciate in the Other Knee After an ACL Rupture

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Kelley asked a great question of Dr. Kim last night and here it is (with the answer):

Flynn, my 7 year old female Chessie who partially tore her left CCL in 2018.

We had her on a custom brace for 6 mos. and she "healed" but I wonder what ongoing therapy might be effective to prevent her injuring the back right knee. I

I feel she's out of whack somehow. She lays with her left leg extended behind her, and she recently went lame on the "good" knee and couldn't get up without limping for several steps.

I've had her on Rhus 12C and been restricting her for weeks to easy, controlled swimming twice a day.

She's much better but I feel that her whole back end is not quite right and rather delicate--and she needs to be stronger.

Here's Dr. Kim's reply for what to do in addition to homeopathy:

Kelley:

you can continue to do core strengthening rehab with the swimming (not necessarily an underwater treadmill) with a rehab person, or work with a certified canine fitness coach (or both).

I would also recommend getting your dog adjusted by someone who does either chiropractic or osteopathy (and knows working dogs).

As someone who had to be in a joint stabilizing brace for a while, they can really screw up your structural straightness.

I would also consider an oral glucosamine that has some punch to it (so not Cosequin or Dasequin), Adequan injections (or have a sports med vet inject BOTH stifles with polyglycan or Legend), Chinese herbs and supplements such as turmeric (in limited doses), ashwaganda (withania), omega 3 fatty acids, probiotics, etc.

From what you describe, I think I would start with some good chiropractic and acupuncture.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Kelley,

In addition to Dr. Kim's suggestions, lets see what is happening with the homeopathy.

How are you giving the Rhus tox 12c? In water, with plussing? You say you have seen improvement with it - what has changed? Specifically.

You may want to try 30c of Rhus tox if there have been enough changes.

Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom