• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Post Surgical Skin Issues - "Blister," Grey Skin, Allopecia, Inflammation

AdrienneC

Community Member
Registered
1. Sparkly Pearl
2. 6 years old
3. Female
4. Intact
5. Yorkie
6. 7lbs
7. BEAM 7
8. Viva Raw or Mostly Raw beef and rabbit with beans, F & V. Normally no birds or Liver (allergic)
9. 1st Rabies shot only. Recent surgeries where she was given all the medication during surgery and some antibiotics afterward.

10. Primary problem: She was attacked by a big dog on 8 March and had surgery on both legs to prepare the muscle and connective tissue. 15 March she had orthopedic surgery to repair the L complete femur fracture. 25 April she had a second/repeated orthopedic surgery to prepare the same L fracture as the entire repair, hardware and all, bent and broke. Many x-rays.

Her left incision healed well after the first tissue repair, and seems to be healing well now.

Her right leg, which was more badly shredded, has had its series of healing crisis and probable minor infection, which seems to be cleared. Although there is no heat or infection symptoms present, she continues to become intermittently sensitive to the area. A few weeks into healing from the initial tissue repair, the R leg developed what looks like a blister. It is clear fluid filled. It was very sensitive at first but has calmed down to mild sensitivity. Along the rest of the incision it is bumpy and rough from scar tissue healing where it was shredded. Portions of this area become sensitive at times and then seem to calm down. Most recently the area above and below the scar, not the scar itself, has begin to harden/tighten/inflame. It is noticeably swollen and sensitive to touch. Not hot or red. So she has this blister thing that has been sitting there mostly unchanged for a month (although it started sensitive, painful and hot, but has calmed down and remained just a blister for weeks/month) and now this new swollen area near it, at the other end of the scar.

Oh, and all the hair fell off that area. I think along with dead/grey skin. It didn't smell.

11. What makes it better or worse: (Other than epsom compresses described below) Licking or touching it makes it more sensitive, otherwise, nothing really.

12. No specific diagnostic work has been done, but the vets I take her to for her surgery look at it each time and just say to continue compressing it. They did once poke it and claw fluid came out. In the beginning, before it really grew, I saw clear fluid seeping from the new scar. The vets guess that it is an reaction to the dissolving sutures that are still in there.

13. Current and previous treatment: In the beginning I was using warm epsom compresses 3-4 times a day and that is what initially calmed it down. Since it has remained the same for weeks, I am less diligent about it but I warm compress it at least once a day, often 2 or more. This does seem to calm it down, but at this point the difference it makes is helpful, but not enough (unless I am being impatient. If I am being impatient I am willing to hear that and be more diligent about it). The difference it makes seems to be like 10%. I have tried various herbal and homeopathic anti-inflammatory gels and creams. It might make the skin look healthier but it doesn't affect the overall situation.

Wait... I did use floras one cream once that my roommate gave me to try. I hope that's not bad... It seemed to activate the area. I don't know if it was in a good or bad way. Not more infection or anything, maybe in the same way cayenne would bring heat to the skin. Something like that. then it calmed down to "normal" meaning it just sits there as a blister.

14. Other health concerns: Liver and bird skin "allergies" that cause (probably inflammation) snorting and snoring, yeast and grey skin. I have recently been feeding them Viva raw, only to realize it has liver in it and she has been experiencing these symptoms mildly. It did occur to me that the scar inflammation could be related to the food. But the blister was there before (it could have been caused by food/medications early on in the process but if so, the blister seems to be a residual symptom that isn't clearing, while the new inflammation is new. Totally related but also different. But probably the same :)

Curiously, that is the same spot, or very close to where she received her baby rabies shot, which I believe initially gave her the black skin, allergies and hair loss in the same area (which grew back by age 3).

So, should I be patient and continue to hot compress it and allow her body to do what it does? Or is there any other way I can support her? I have a bandage change appointment on Monday so they will let me know if something needs addressed from their perspective but obviously, that isn't quite my concern at this point.

The pictures are at various stages.

Thank you for your help! <3

Adrienne

P.S. Does anyone know off the top of their head of a really good raw food without liver or birds? I usually make it myself but this is backup for travel or when I am inconsistent.

@Dr. Jeff @Dr. Christina @Dr. Sara

tempImageB5b1eE.png

tempImageCYIFHl.png

tempImageWgH07q.png

tempImageLoVZmA.png

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for the update Adrienne after your sweet girl's trauma and second surgery.
So, should I be patient and continue to hot compress it and allow her body to do what it does?
Yes! Patience and perseverance. Her body is designed to heal over time and it's often not at the speed we would like. Nature works slowly (just ask the Grand Canyon and CO river;)).
is there any other way I can support her?
Yes! What was her last homeopathic remedy prior to the trauma?

AdrienneC

Community Member
Registered
Thanks for the update Adrienne after your sweet girl's trauma and second surgery.

Yes! Patience and perseverance. Her body is designed to heal over time and it's often not at the speed we would like. Nature works slowly (just ask the Grand Canyon and CO river;)).

Yes! What was her last homeopathic remedy prior to the trauma?

Thank you!

It depends on what trauma you are referring to.

Prior to the attack she had her last dose of Lachesis Muta 30C around December

Prior to the most recent re-injury/surgery/trauma, her last does was 30 days ago, belladonna 200c for the fever/infection.

After the surgery I gave her Arnica 10M for an about 5 days. I haven't given it to her in a 3-5 days.

Since the surgery, 10 days ago, I have been giving her Symphytum once a day for the bone healing. Is that something I should continue?

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
It depends on what trauma you are referring to.
Great point! I meant the dog attack (not the 2 surgical traumas).

The reason I ask is that the goal of treatment is to try and optimize balance. You can do this by addressing her chronic dis-ease (an imbalance that's been around for a while).

Sparkly's overall energetic balance was being addressed prior to the dog attack.

Sometimes during healing from an "unrelated" trauma or dis-ease, the homeopathic remedy being used for the chronic dis-ease can be used to stimulate healing.

What makes her BEAM a 7 and not 8 or 9?

What was her BEAM in Dec. prior to Lach?

AdrienneC

Community Member
Registered
Great point! I meant the dog attack (not the 2 surgical traumas).

The reason I ask is that the goal of treatment is to try and optimize balance. You can do this by addressing her chronic dis-ease (an imbalance that's been around for a while).

Sparkly's overall energetic balance was being addressed prior to the dog attack.

Sometimes during healing from an "unrelated" trauma or dis-ease, the homeopathic remedy being used for the chronic dis-ease can be used to stimulate healing.

What makes her BEAM a 7 and not 8 or 9?

What was her BEAM in Dec. prior to Lach?
Why is her BEAM a 7? It is hard for me to determine because she is such a “stoic”dog, as the vet says, I tend to think of her as incredibly wise and strong. I’ve always said that she is my star pupil and my right hand man, because she is always right there at the right time, ready to do what’s necessary to achieve the mission. I like to think of her as Goddess Diana, a wise and brave huntress. Fiercely independent, yet intensely loyal.

All that is to explain that she shows me her strength but not her weakness. She never complains. I know she wants to run after the rabbits with her sister but sits in her stroller and watches, never questions or whines.

So I am just guessing. How do you judge behavior when she is confined to a kennel? Or mood when she is basically forced to sleep all day?

Her BEAM prior to December was about a 6 or 7. She is always happy but she was very low on energy.

Now Sparkly is always happy to get out and “do” things, even in the stroller, so given her physical limitations, I guess she could be a 9.

I probably just confused the situation….

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I probably just confused the situation….
Not all! Thanks for the clarification.

You just made a compelling argument for a redose of her Lachesis 30c 10/Q-tip.

AdrienneC

Community Member
Registered
I just wanted to update you on Sparkly Pearl's healing process and check in with what we're doing.

I gave Sparkly Pearl the Lachesis redose Sunday evening and she showed and almost immediate improvement in BEAM. So definitely an 8+. She is still a good girl, but much more excitable and unpredictable in her impulsive Yorkie way, so that is GREAT. She also started barking at rabbits while her sister, NeeNee, chases them.

- Her external fixator bandage was changed yesterday and the doctor said the pins are in place and she is doing well.
- The Dr. took a sample of the blister fluid and it is still clear and they still think it's a reaction to a suture or something insignificant.
- Her infected (?) mammory thing is still about the size of a grape, but maybe a small grape, no longer a big grape.
- She has her first post surgical radiographs Thursday.

This is what I am currently doing for her:
- I'm being patient and not worrying
- Rabbit Hunting (in my arms or the stroller)

Mammary Mass (infection?):
- warm epsom compress
- Goldenseal and a rotation of other anti-bacterials

Femur:
- 1 x per day Symphytum
- keeping her very still
- Kloud+ mat on "Rest" setting

(Lachesis was dosed Sunday but not since then)

Does anything stand out or come to mind? Am I doing too much of anything or overlooking something I should be doing?

Thank you! <3

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

AdrienneC

Community Member
Registered
Hello,

Sparkly's 2 week check-up went well. As of two days ago she had not really started walking on her leg but she was putting weight on it when standing still.

Last Monday, after her appointment and as soon as we left got in the car, she started looking at the bandage that was just changed (she had previously ignored it) and licking her knee. The next day she was mostly normal but often looked at me with big wide eyes, which was very different. Then last night she stopped putting weight on the leg and was restless all night.

Today she is really still and when she does stand up or go to walk she holds the leg up and acts really weird. She stands there like she can't figure out how to walk on three legs or how to lay down. She is sensitive to touch and afraid for her sister to get near her. She didn't want to be outside this morning and she isolated more than usual. Three times for various reasons (picking her up, scaring her when I moved her pillow and gently touching her leg) she yelped a little when I touched her. All of these are new symptoms as of today.

I am trying not to freak out but it's terrifying, I really don't want to go to the vet but I called and have an appointment tomorrow to make sure nothing happened. Nothing happened to my knowledge. They told me to give her gabapentin and maybe it's just part of the healing process. It feels like more to me but maybe I am traumatized from before.

For the last week she has been on Symphytum 1x per day and nothing else.
This morning I gave her Arnica every two hours, up to three times, like before. No real change.

When the Dr. said it might be healing pain it occurred to me that I have that Ruta that we never got to before.
I prayed to the Angels that it is somehow a soreness or bruise, she does meet a lot of the symptoms for it. I dosed her about an hour ago. I'd love for that to help enough to show that I don't need to take her back in tomorrow (otherwise her next X-rays are on the 23rd).

My main question is: How often should I dose the Ruta and for how many days?

Any other thoughts on this?

Thank you so much!

Also, I would be grateful for prayers!!!

@Dr. Jeff

Last edited:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom