• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Pepcid/Zantac/Sodium Citrate for Karma

Keely Parr

All-Access Member
Registered
Karma has been vomiting white foam off and on usually first thing in the morning for over a year. While I never received a diagnosis from the veterinarian my assumption is that it is stomach acid. Karma's urine used to smell like ammonia and now has no odor whatsoever. A few days ago when he vomited white foam there were specks of blood in it that looked like a minuscule clot, not bright red but sort of maroon color. There was no blood in his stool and overall he seemed fine. That afternoon (Aug. 18) I dosed him 6c Ars. Album. His energy is much better, he wants to go outside, he has a great appetite, etc. The behavioral signs with the exception of the vomiting are fantastic as if I had a new cat!

This morning there was another little fleck of blood, minuscule like a clot mixed with the white foam when he vomited. The vomiting action is pretty intense (I can see his whole body heaving) and he cries. His stool was normal, no blood. I am giving him slippery elm, marshmallow root, licorice root and aloe vera. When he sits on his haunches and I interpret it as his stomach hurting I have been giving him a little plain kefir and he feels much better almost immediately. My concern is that if the stomach acid is not being excreted in his urine, it can do damage internally to him. The conventional vet recommended Pepcid (2.5 mgs. once a day) years ago. I tried it once or twice when the vomiting first started and it seemed to do absolutely nothing so I stopped. I was also concerned about his ability to excrete the Pepcid via his kidneys.

Due to the blood in the vomit, I am thinking of either trying Zantac or giving him sodium citrate in a little bit of water before he goes to bed to alkalize his system. What are your thoughts?

I also thought of perhaps giving him either apocynum cannabinum (which Dr. Hamilton states is indicated for uremic vomiting) or chininium arsenicosum which Dr. Hamilton has used for cats with kidney disease and indicates hyperacidity in the materia medica. Neither of these remedies fit the total symptom picture as the ars. album.

What are your thoughts please? A very concerned pet mom!

Thank you,
Keely D. Parr

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hiya Keely-

Based on Karma's energetic response to the Ars 6c, you might want to dose it again a bit later in the day.

I'd advise holding off on the partially similar remedies you mentioned.

Too many interventions can confuse Karma's delicate balance.

Same is true for any medications, which also decrease his cellular energy and therefore worsen his healing ability.

The sodium citrate or high pH (alkaline) water are fine to try.

Does he get a snack before bed?

Keely Parr

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Dr. Jeff:
Just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your response and this forum!

I was thinking of dosing him again so you must have read my thought messages to you. His energy and mood and appetite are still fabulous!

I have been giving Karma about 2ml of Aloe vera juice before bed but a snack sounds like a good idea. Perhaps I can give him plain organic Kefir which he loves and will coat his stomach.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
? :cat2:

Deena

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Keely,
I am unfamiliar with Karma's case, but based on your description above, my thoughts are similar to Dr Jeff's. The 1st thing that screamed at me from your description and timing of his vomit was "empty belly syndrome" causing white foam or bile pukes in the morning. Giving a snack or light meal before bed usually helps.

The blood sounds like his stomach lining is getting jiggered up?
Are you giving the "slippery elm, marshmallow root, licorice root and aloe vera" between meals so it is not competing with digestion? I've had success using just slippery elm and adding in L-Glutamine. The SEB will coat the GI tract to act as a barrier to keep the acid away from the lining. L-Glutamine has the ability to fill in the holes of the GI tract so will heal faster.

Just my non-vet opinion. GOOD LUCK

Deena

Keely Parr

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you so much for your post. I am giving the aloe vera at least 30 minutes before a meal. I am giving the slippery elm and marshmallow root mixed together with water to form a syrup at least 10 minutes before a meal and I am giving the licorice root during the meal. My understanding is that cats do not produce stomach acid if they are not eating so I am giving the slippery elm/marshmallow root to coat his stomach while he is eating and the stomach acid is being produced.

I use Nutrigest which contains L-Glutamine but I like your idea of using the slippery elm and L-Glutamine apart from the meal.

Dr. Jeff: Can you weigh in on the timing of the supplements?

Thank you,
Keely

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
So as to not palliate too much, I'd only do 1 thing at a time.

Aloe vera with or between meals.

If you are dosing him, it's important to not give too many palliative supplements so you can properly assess the response to the remedy.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom