• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Partial cruciate rupture

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

<blockquote>Question: X-rays show partial cruciate ligament tear in back right leg with significant arthritis in the knee. Hips okay. History of surgery two years ago with articifical ligament insertion in back left leg which is fine at this point. Cosequin DS 3 capsules a day given to dog for the last two weeks appears to be helping. Weight reduction
suggested (80 lb. big female) to lessen
stress on knee joints.
Questions:
Partial tear surgery with natural
tissue repair just as successful as
artifical ligament replacement?
Anything else to do other than
Cosequin/weight reduction to help
the dog? Is surgery inevitable?
Thank you for your input.

Sex: Female Neutered

username: jwilli@snet.net

Pet: Canine

Breed: Labrador Retriever

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
To answer your last question first, the improvement you have seen in just two weeks means that you may very well be able to avoid surgery. Cosequin takes at least four weeks before full results are seen. I would also be supplementing with Antiox-50 (grape seed extract 50mg) which is a joint specific natural antiinflammatory twice a day. Four 1,000mg fish oil capsules per day are also very useful. Glycoflex 1 + DMG is another natural supplement which I would consider adding to the regime. It contains perna extract and other substances which helps support the joints. I have also had considerable success using homeopathy to treat the underlying imbalance causing the knee problems, but this may not be necessary if you use everything else I mentioned, and get her to lose weight.

Good luck!

Dr. Jeff

PS-Nowadays I'd also add Trixsyn (an effective oral hyaluronic acid liquid) and Tissue Regeneration Factors.

G

ginnyw

My really astute physical therapist also uses active braces often in similar circumstances. Laser therapy to stimulate tissue regeneration might also be helpful. I'm in agreement with the Trixsyn and TRF-150 bone and soft tissue stimulant. The brace allows activity, which stimulates healing, while supporting and stimulating the joint without risk of further injury.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Good advice, Dr. Jeff and Ginny.
Many of my patients completely recovered with homeopathic treatment and no surgery.
I would also add in working with a homeopathic or TCVM vet to deeply rebalance him so his ligaments will not be as susceptible to injury.

K

kelley

<blockquote>Question: X-rays show partial cruciate ligament tear in back right leg with significant arthritis in the knee. Hips okay. History of surgery two years ago with articifical ligament insertion in back left leg which is fine at this point. Cosequin DS 3 capsules a day given to dog for the last two weeks appears to be helping. Weight reduction
suggested (80 lb. big female) to lessen
stress on knee joints.
Questions:
Partial tear surgery with natural
tissue repair just as successful as
artifical ligament replacement?
Anything else to do other than
Cosequin/weight reduction to help
the dog? Is surgery inevitable?
Thank you for your input.

Sex: Female Neutered

username: jwilli@snet.net

Pet: Canine

Breed: Labrador Retriever

K

kelley

I've gone down the CCL tear route a few times--always with retrievers. I would highly recommend a custom knee brace which holds the joint in place while the scar tissue forms that will ultimately stabilize the knee. The challenge is not to allow the dog to keep tearing and re-tearing the newly forming tissue during the approximately four month period that it takes for the scar tissue to harden. Our 5 year old female Chesapeake had a partial CCL tear a year ago. She wore her brace, which was very comfortable, for about 8-10 hours a day for four months, then only for walks for the next 2 months. After six months, I would occasionally put it on for a longer walk, but after that she hasn't needed it. We watch her carefully--she's not allowed to do the crazy feats of athleticism that she used to do, but she runs and swims like normal. I don't think the recovery time with the brace was any different than the knee suturing procedure, which I understand does not work well in large dogs, and the TPLO surgery just seems to be fraught with complications. Few people seem happy to have done that procedure--for any number of reasons: the complexity of the surgery and the need for expertise in the surgeon, surgery complications, difficult after-care.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom