• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Supplements to help avoid cruciate surgery

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
This is an older post from but still may be useful.

I'd add 3 other more recent supplements to it though:

1. Tissue Regenerative Factors (TRF 150) from Designs for Health which are growth factors that can speed healing

2. Arthroben also from DFH is a very high quality collagen supplement that can help rebuild joints

3. Trixsyn is a specially formulated liquid hyaluronic acid supplement that helps lubricate joints

Here's the original post (which was soon after Cosequin became one of the supplemennts on many vets shelves):

Question: X-rays show partial cruciate ligament tear in back right leg with significant
arthritis in the knee. Hips okay. History of surgery two years ago with artificial ligament insertion in back left leg which is fine at this point. Cosequin DS 3 capsules a day given to dog for the last two weeks appears to be helping. Weight reduction
suggested (80 lb. big female) to lessen
stress on knee joints.

Questions:
Partial tear surgery with natural
tissue repair just as successful as
artificial ligament replacement?

Anything else to do other than
Cosequin/weight reduction to help
the dog? Is surgery inevitable?
Thank you for your input.

Sex: Female Neutered

Breed: Labrador Retriever

To answer your last question first, the improvement you have seen in just two weeks means that you may very well be able to avoid surgery.

Cosequin takes at least four weeks before full results are seen.

I would also be supplementing with 50mg grape seed extract which is a natural antinflammatory twice a day.

Four 1,000mg fish oil capsules per day are also very useful.

Glycoflex is another natural supplement which I would consider adding to the regime. It contains alfalfa and brewers yeast as well as perna extract which helps support the joints.

I have also had considerable success using Chinese herbal therapy for joint problems, but this may not be necessary if you use everything else I mentioned, and get her to lose weight.
------

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom