• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Paradoxical reaction to CBD

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I got Blossom off the Trazadone she was put on in the shelter and for a month after I adopted her. I did wean her off. Her only real issue is to get her to ride in the car (she will go in the car without issue but moving is the anxiety trigger). I have been using constant feeding while moving and she goes about 5 minutes. Anyway I got an email from Ellevet and I used their product with JJ a few years ago but he hated the taste (he normally accepted all other things in his mouth) So for Blossom now, I ordered the capsules and gave her the prescribed 6 for Calming and Comfort stress situations. First day I gave her 3 caps (6 caps are her dose), At 3 she seemed a bit too anxious. Next day I gave her the prescribed 6 and left the house, when I came home she was off the walls, over excited and hyperactive and vigilant. So, paradoxical... I called the company and reported this and asked if they ever had this happen and what is going on. They said they have had a few reports of this hyperactivity. Does anyone understand about this and is she unable to use CBD or just this brand? Actually, Blossom's baseline of anxiety was better than with the use of the CBD. So she was much better off when I returned home than when I gave her this product. So this is two strikes against this CBD (2 different dogs). I was thinking the CBD would be my ace in the hole to get Blossom to ride in the car so we could go to the vet. With all the research and kudos on the site I was surprised that there were no reports of this side effect in any of the studies done to read about. I googled this paradoxical reaction to CBD and nothing found so I have to think it is rare. Now what?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
is she unable to use CBD or just this brand?
I think you can stick with CBDs (and Ellevet) but use the 1/2 dose daily and give it more to see the desired effect.

She may also be reacting to another ingredient in the caps.

Have you already tried the Flow Free flower essence? There are no pharmacologic side-effects from medicines which use the energetic (vs. physiological and pharmacologic) paradigm of vet med:

LilF

Community Member
Registered
@DrJeff, the company suggested one capsule instead of the usual 6 for her weight, but she did not respond to that either and wonder if I should use another brand before giving up on this. They did refund me which was nice. Maybe I will just try these flower essences for now and see how she does along with the T touch Dr. Jean talked about. Thanks for the link and will give it a try.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
YW Lil.

Thanks for the CBD info.

It's super helpful to hear stories about individual susceptibility (such as to a CBD). Yes, sometimes a new brand can make a big difference. Here's a human brand that I've been using myself to maintain internal balance and which may be helpful:

Yes, I would use the flower essences alone (maybe along with a heart coherence meditation) for now.

RobinS

Community Member
Registered
The flower essence sounds like a great idea along with the other suggestions. I just wanted to let you know that I have had multiple clients say that either their animal didn't respond to CBD or they got hyper and anxious instead. I always make sure they are first using an organic full spectrum oil and it is best that it is in tincture/oil form so that you can truly fine tune it to your pet drop by drop. I also allow animals to make the choice if they want it or not. If they are running for the hills when you try to give it in their mouth or won't eat their food you put it in, then either CBD is not the right path at that time or a different form of it might be more beneficial. I agree that trying another company's CBD would be good. And I always say "start low and go slow" meaning don't even start with a half dose. Start with just a few drops and add 1 drop each day to each dose. When you start seeing lethargy or anxiety/hyper, that's when you back down to the dose the day before and that is what is ideal for your pet at that time. Hope that helps, best wishes.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Thanks Robin. You suggestion about listening to what your dog or cat wants or does not want is so important.
I remember working with a woman who had 6 Saint Bernards in the house. she would go to the kitchen with the intent to make up the dilution of a Q potency for one dog. That one dog, and no other, would come into the kitchen. When the remedy needed to be discontinued, the dogs would not come. (Most of the time.)
Dr. Christina

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Thank you both Dr. Christina and RobinS....good thoughts actually....more and more the idea of picking up the energy and intuition with a dog is becoming more and more accurate rather than mystical. I am reminded the last several months of my JJ's life for some reason he did not want to take his thyroid in food. I had to syringe it into him which he typically accepted. However there were some times, mostly for the evening dose I noticed he would not swallow. Now I am curious and have to "think" about what this meant. He did accept supplements with his food (steak usually). And I am sure he still needed the thyroid but now I am wondering about maybe some unusual feeling he got with it or whatever. He had irregular heartbeat so maybe it has something to do with that. Back to the present, I went to the pet food store and the gal said she used this peanut butter bar with valerian in it with HER dogs so I gave it a try and only a quarter of a dose. I seemed to think with Blossom (current dog) that she seemed to have no effect or still hyper. I am trying to relax more myself as I am wired for anxiety too. I tried this taking her in the car the other day and it seemed to help when I just expected her to do fine. We drove to a nearby school, took a walk and drove home. My friend also said "just take her in the car and let her enjoy herself. Dogs love cars (my JJ did for sure). Oh one last thing I just thought of after typing my last sentence.. Instead of typing JJ did, I typed JJ DIED. On this topic of their energy, our energy and the topic of last week's monday webinar. ODDLY, a few weeks before he died I kept singing his song that went "Good BOY JJ, Good Boy JJ" For some reason, the weeks prior to his death what came out of my mouth was Good BYE JJ.... It was so freaking weird that I had to correct myself but now wonder if he knew or I knew on some level he was going to die. Anyone who knows his story of how he died in the hospital knows I did not get to say Good Bye to him that day. I just thought I would share that subconscious change in wording that came out of my mouth weeks before he died everytime I sang his song. Hope this isn't TMI......

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks so much for sharing Lil and Robin!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom