• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Panting kitty

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
My kitty Andy, a neutered 4 yr old grey tabby, pants a lot. He is a nervous cat and is a real grouch with all the other cats. At the slightest provocation, he will begin to pant. I am aware that panting is a stress response but I think Andy's panting is excessive. Short of giving him Prozac (only kidding!!) what can I do to smooth out his nervousness and help him to become calmer? He recently had a dreadful skin issue under his chin whereby he had open bleeding sores that I first thought were abscesses. One dose of Merc 30C plus twice-daily bathing with mother tincture of calendula diluted in water cleared the condition up and his fur is regrowing.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Bonnie.

Did the frequency or degree of panting change after the Merc dose?

How about his grouchiness or skittishness after the Merc?

Any other challenges with him now or in the past?

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
The frequency of panting did not change after the dose of Merc. Anytime he encounters the other cats or dogs, he pants. Yet, he will sleep on a chair in the livingroom, dead to the world with all the other cats and dogs going back and forth.

He is marginally more friendly with me and does seem to enjoy being petted. (for a very shot period of time)

He has been a hard case to work on from the get-go. He arrived on my doorstep 4 years ago when he was a tiny kitten and had been thoroughly traumitized by the dogs on the street. He was not socialized and because I had to return to Canada for a year early in 2016, the people who looked after my place in my absence, did their best, but they did not have much luck with Andy trying to socialize him.

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
Thanks, Christie, but Andy is a lean, mean, fighting machine. He is indifferent to food, so I cannot motivate him that way

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for your reply Bonnie and to Christie for sharing your experience.

Bonnie, when were the Merc doses?

Are you still seeing progress with his friendliness or in any other way?

If he's at a plateau, perhaps try a single dose of Merc 200c.

catdoc

Community Member
Registered
Hi Dr. J. I gave Andy one dose of Merc 30C 7 days ago.

Andy is marginally more friendly, which, when one considers his normal temperament, is some improvement, however, I feel he has plateaued. His open sores on his neck have disappeared and his hair is regrowing.

However, he still pants when he is the least bit stressed.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Plateau = dose Merc 200.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom