• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Pancreatitis in cats

KariL

Registered
1. Sannibel
2. 15
3. Female
4. Spayed
5. Tuxedo, Domestic Short Hair
6. 5.6 Pounds (Current weight)
7. Suddenly stopped eating or drinking, became extremely lethargic, cold and limp. Prior to this she seemed very healthy. Playing, eating, drinking, peeing pooping. She may have become more vocal over the past two weeks, but hard to tell because she has always been a vocal cat. Nothing else happened around this time that i am aware of. She did have a severe tooth infection about 6 months ago that she received antibiotics for. About a month after this her tooth fell out. Also a recent history of occasional constipation. She was brought to ER and initially diagnosed with renal failure, but then had an ultrasound and it showed pancreatitis>
8. N/A
9. Diagnostic Work has been done. Her initial lad results her have elevated kidney tests. But now they have returned to normal. I don't have the lab results in print. I can probably get a copy today when i go visit her. (Im not sure how to attach the labs)
10. She is receiving IV fluids, she was receiving meds to keep her blood pressure up, but has been weaned off this. she was or is on anti nausea meds, and appetite stimulants, antibiotics.
11. Constipation which has improved with supplements and pumpkin
12. She has been transitioning to raw fed and has done very well until this happened.
13. She's received her initial vaccinations as a kitten. I haven't given her any other vaccines. No exposure to toxins that i am aware of. She is an indoor cat. No medications have been given to her throughout her life except for the bout of antibiotics for a tooth infection 6 months ago.
14. She is very loving and cuddling. She likes a lot of attention. She is almost always at our side.
15. I would say she is low energy, and can be a picky eater, although not so much since she's been raw fed. She a a very attentive and sweet, and usually seems content. She also can be very vocal.

Last edited:

KariL

Registered
1. Sannibel
2. 15
3. Female
4. Spayed
5. Tuxedo, Domestic Short Hair
6. 5.6 Pounds (Current weight)
7. Suddenly stopped eating or drinking, became extremely lethargic, cold and limp. Prior to this she seemed very healthy. Playing, eating, drinking, peeing pooping. She may have become more vocal over the past two weeks, but hard to tell because she has always been a vocal cat. Nothing else happened around this time that i am aware of. She did have a severe tooth infection about 6 months ago that she received antibiotics for. About a month after this her tooth fell out. Also a recent history of occasional constipation. She was brought to ER and initially diagnosed with renal failure, but then had an ultrasound and it showed pancreatitis>
8. N/A
9. Diagnostic Work has been done. Her initial lad results her have elevated kidney tests. But now they have returned to normal. I don't have the lab results in print. I can probably get a copy today when i go visit her. (Im not sure how to attach the labs)
10. She is receiving IV fluids, she was receiving meds to keep her blood pressure up, but has been weaned off this. she was or is on anti nausea meds, and appetite stimulants, antibiotics.
11. Constipation which has improved with supplements and pumpkin
12. She has been transitioning to raw fed and has done very well until this happened.
13. She's received her initial vaccinations as a kitten. I haven't given her any other vaccines. No exposure to toxins that i am aware of. She is an indoor cat. No medications have been given to her throughout her life except for the bout of antibiotics for a tooth infection 6 months ago.
14. She is very loving and cuddling. She likes a lot of attention. She is almost always at our side.
15. I would say she is low energy, and can be a picky eater, although not so much since she's been raw fed. She a a very attentive and sweet, and usually seems content. She also can be very vocal.
Sannibel was discharged from hospital today. I’m looking for guidance on what to feed her. Is it ok to feed a raw food diet while on antibiotics? I ordered some probiotics from nom nom. Would she benefit from this? Also does anyone has experience with a cat with acute pancreatitis? I’m wondering how cats do after treatment?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great that she is home to heal!

Yes, it's OK to feed raw while on anti-biotics.

Yes, she would benefit from a few months of rotating probiotics starting now.

All of the vets, and many of the pet parents, here have lots of experience with pancreatitis. My own 14 year young 5 lb. kitty got a bot of pancreatitis (mainly not eating and lethargy) after eating 1/2 stick of butter!

Also here's my response to your post from yesterday that I see did not post:

Absolutely Kari (re-ways to support your kitty)!

7. When did she suddenly stop eating and drinking? BTW- The constipation and pancreaitis can be related to disruption of her microbiome from the anti-biotics so a good probiotic (like Mitomax, Rx Biotic, etc.) will be useful.

9. No worries about getting her labs.

12. Wonderful, the more fresh food - more support of her vitality.

13. Great (minimal vaccination)!

14. Great! Petting, purring and focusing on things she loves will be things you can start as soon as she comes home.

15. Both her energy and appetite (and BEAM in general) will improve as you focusing getting her BEAMing and doing things she loves.

KariL

Registered

All of the vets, and many of the pet parents, here have lots of experience with pancreatitis. My own 14 year young 5 lb. kitty got a bot of pancreatitis (mainly not eating and lethargy) after eating 1/2 stick of butter!

Thank you so much!! I already ordered a probiotic from Nom Nom before i saw the brands you suggested. Have you heard of Nom Nom? Is this brand okay to use?
Could pancreatitis be related to too much fat in the diet? I thought i was keeping her fat intake low by feeding her raw turkey breast, with occasional grass fed beef. Also i was giving her salmon, but some say it has a high fat content. Is this true? I thought she was doing so much better since i switched her to raw. Maybe 14 years of a poor quality diet caught up with her?
She is home with us now and is eating a very small amount. Sometimes it seems like she is really hungry, but will only have a few bites. Will it take a while for her to eat a full meal again?
I'm looking for a holistic vet in my area. I found a few that i am going to see if i can get her appointment. Also i will try acupuncture for her.
Thank you!!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
1. Yes, Nom Nom probiotics are fine for now (rotate brands over the next few months).

Thanks to your post I just learned that this probiotic even contains some of the unique (well, I thought they were not found in other probiotics) strains!

2. Yes, pancreatitis can be triggered by fatty foods but whether or not food is a trigger depends on Sannibel's individuality.

3. These fresh foods are usually fine and are not necessarily high fat. IMHO the fat content of a raw diet is not usually the trigger that processed fats are. Conventional vet research and recommendations are all based on commercial foods.

4. Her eating small quantities at a time is one (of many) symptoms clues to her individuality.

KariL

Registered
1. Yes, Nom Nom probiotics are fine for now (rotate brands over the next few months).

Thanks to your post I just learned that this probiotic even contains some of the unique (well, I thought they were not found in other probiotics) strains!

2. Yes, pancreatitis can be triggered by fatty foods but whether or not food is a trigger depends on Sannibel's individuality.

3. These fresh foods are usually fine and are not necessarily high fat. IMHO the fat content of a raw diet is not usually the trigger that processed fats are. Conventional vet research and recommendations are all based on commercial foods.

4. Her eating small quantities at a time is one (of many) symptoms clues to her individuality.
Thank you!!
Sannibel is eating much better! Her appetite has returned to normal.
1. I have her on the Nom Nom probiotics, and will rotate as you suggested. Thank you for the info!! I'm glad Nom Nom has some of the unique strains!!!

2. I ordered her raw food from a company called Hare Today. Have you heard of this company/Is this a good company in your opinion?

3. I noticed some mucous in her stool and some anal leakage with pus/mucous in it. Could this be due to the infection leaving her body because of the antibiotics? or is this something i should be concerned about? She also feels warm on and off. Could she be running a fever?

4. I am trying to find a holistic vet in my area and i've only found 2. One isn't in business anymore and the other isn't taking new patients. Is there anyone you can suggest. I live in Longmeadow, Ma.

Thank you! This forum has been so helpful!!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Kari and fantastic that Sannibel is doing better! ? :snowman:

1. Her BEAM and quality of life go hand in hand, so just keep doing what you're doing!! I'm also glad to have learned about (through you) the great ingredients of the Nom Nom probiotics.

2. Yes, I have heard of Hare Today but unfortunately don't know much about them. Tho they do have a wide variety of foods (fresh and varied foods are super important).

3. The discharges are probably not due to the infection leaving her body from the anti-biotic. However, it can be from other chages due to the drugs. However, there's no need to worry because mucous and discharge along with improvement in BEAM is often an excellent sign. Does her BEAM change when she feels warm? If not, then the warmth you feel is probably not from a fever (but only by taking her temp. will you know for sure).

4. I'd suggest a vet homeopath as we are all trained in holistic supportive care. In addition, one of the wonderful things about homeopathy is that is based on symptoms that can be discovered virtually so you can work by phone or video with a vet homeopath anywhere in the world.

Two virtual vet homeopaths that I love are adjunct faculty @dr_ judy herman in ME and Dr. Adriana Sagrera in LA:

KariL

Registered
Hi! Sannibel has been very picky over the past 2 weeks and has now really eaten much. She was doing great eating and gaining weight but then stopped. She is very skinny. Friday night she vomited multiple times. She ate very little Saturday morning but hasn’t eaten since. I haven’t been able to get the probiotics in her because of her not eating. She vomited again Saturday night and hasn’t eaten since. She still is drinking water. But cries when she is over the bowl. And then has a few licks and walks away. I think she is nauseous. She has peed and pooped (soft with some watery stool in it) She’s not her usual self. I don’t know what I can do for her. She had a few licks of food since yesterday morning. Their aren’t any vets I can find around here that are taking new patients. I haven’t tried the 2 contacts you’ve given me yet but I will tomorrow.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm sorry to hear about Sannibel.

Definitely call the vets first thing tomorrow, and please let us know how your kitty does.

Also, she should see a local internist if possible. Here's a directory:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom