• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Nordic Naturals Cod Liver Oil vs Omega 3

AliceR

Registered
Hello,
Is Cod Liver Oil just as beneficial as the Omega 3 fish oil from Nordic Naturals?

Thank you,
Alice

AliceR

Registered
Hello again,
Dr. Jeff or Dr. Christina, if you could kindly let me know if I should return the cod liver oil that I bought by mistake?
Thanks,
Alice

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I would keep it Alice.

Cod liver oil is a super supplement but does not replace the Nordic Naturals omegas.

Cod liver oil contains ingredients like the fat-soluble vitamins A and D. Fat-soluble vitamins can be toxic whereas pure omegas are much safer.

However, cod liver oil is great as an adjunct in many inflammations and is a soothing and healing eye drop .

This is article has more details:

AliceR

Registered
Thank you Dr. Jeff. Do I give it instead of the fish oil? The article says not to give fish oil omega and cod liver oil at the same time.

It sounds like it has the same benefits, with the addition of A and d.

It would be for Reese, English Shepherd from hoarding situation, 11yrs, has hypothyroidism and autoimmune issues...very low (12% at one time) RBCs, which resulted in a splenectomy in 2015.

And Apollo 10 yr old Husky/Aussie- has no present issues.

They also get a can of 3.25 oz sardines in water weekly.
I have a call scheduled with you tomorrow if you want to talk about it then.

Thank you
Alice

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome, Alice.

No, do not use it as your primary omega-3 source.

Use the fresh (within 60 days of opening the jar) omega on a regular basic supplemented occasionally with cod liver oil.

We base exact dosing on the individual and their tolerance of any oil.

For example, a pup with a history of a sensitive stomach or pancreatitis should start with only a drop or two to test sensitivity and minimize aggravations.

I look forward to speaking with you tomorrow to help with your HMDM.

Attachments

• HMDM2.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 4

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi again Alice. I asked the SmartZYME (a DHA supplement) team to comment on your post.

Here's what they said:

No one can dispute the importance of Omega 3 nutrition to improve pet health and vitality. Pets cannot produce these fatty acids that help to combat oxidative stress on their own so they have to come from what we feed them. Many pet parents think that extracted Omega 3 oils are the easiest and most prevalent way to make sure that their pets get these beneficial nutrients. Codfish is one of the many kinds of fish that are commonly used to produce Omega 3 oil. The major difference between cod liver oils and other Omega 3 fish oils from salmon, herring, tuna, etc, is that in addition to the EPA and DHA Omega 3 fatty acids, cod liver oil contains Vitamins A and D. Depending on the amounts of these vitamins already present in your preferred brand of pet food, the amounts added by supplementing with cod liver oil may be excessive and lead to toxicity issues in your pet.

It is important to remember that all Omega 3 oils whether from fish or even from algae (the source of all Omega 3 fatty acids) are extracted, over processed and can contain artificial and synthetic ingredients as well as fillers. They are produced using damaging heat and are extremely prone to rapid oxidation as soon as the package seal is broken that can cause them to become not only rancid, but toxic to you animal. You feed your pet Omega 3 fish oil because you want them to live long active lives, but we believe there is a better way to make sure that your pet will be vital for many years to come.

SmartZYME is fresh, whole cell DHA nutrition, not processed in anyway. In fact, the form of DHA in SmartZYME is the same form of DHA that is found in brain tissue making it much easier for the body to use it than the form of fatty acids in extracted oils. Extracted fish oils contain both EPA and DHA because fish oil producers cannot separate them. SmartZYME is grown from a species of algae that only produces DHA which is the most important Omega 3 fatty acid and benefits not only heart health as does EPA, but cognitive development and health, as well as mobility, skin, coat and allergic conditions. SmartZYME is grown indoors sustainably under strictly controlled sterile conditions. Instead of adding synthetic preservatives, SmartZYME relies on sterilized sea salt in the centuries old tradition of brining. And not only are the metabolic enzymes that allow the algae to produce DHA internally preserved by SmartZYME’s process to multiply the amount of DHA in your pet’s body, but the DHA in SmartZYME directly converts glucose to healthy DHA laden fats that do not allow saturated fats to accumulate in the body helping to repair metabolic imbalances.

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Hi all, got my login fixed and I'm back! :)

So, I have to say a couple of things about Omega-3s, which I have researched for over a decade. I was a consultant for Nordic Naturals and was on their Advisory Board. It is an excellent company with excellent products. For their pet cod liver oil they do not add Vits A and D (human supplements do, and are therefore dangerous for pets). There is only the A and D naturally occurring in the fish, a much lesser (and safer) amount.

To me, the cod liver oil and Omega-3 are interchangeable, and I have gone back and forth many times. Personally I prefer the Omega-3 oil, but having grown up in a Norwegian family, my opinion of cod liver oil may be slightly skewed. ;-)

I would not recommend a product with just DHA, as is the case with most algae-based products. They're great for vegans, but dogs are not vegans and do better with a balanced, animal-source form. For adult dogs, EPA is the more important Omega-3 because of its anti-inflammatory benefits. But DHA is a component of the brain and of all cell membranes so it is also important. My druthers would be a product with equal amounts, or perhaps a little more EPA than DHA.

The product I quit Nordic for, and have used for myself and my pets for many years, is called Moxxor. It is cold-pressed from New Zealand green-lipped mussels. The potency is less than many products, but they are so bioavailable, it doesn't take much to make a big difference. Moxxor contains all 18 forms of Omega-3 (not just EPA and DHA) and all 8 members of the Vitamin E family as preservatives and antioxidants. After taking fish oil for years and years, I noticed a big change in my energy and sense of well being a few days of Moxxor. That convinced me!

If you're interested, I have an article on my website discussing various sources of Omega-3s, with info on MOXXOR. Omega-3s are Essential for Cats and Dogs! | Little Big Cat

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, thanks @Dr. Jean! I'll be ordering some Moxxor through your link soon.

lizkunz

All-Access Member
Registered
Dr. Jeff, how does this compare to smartZYME from Maine? Can they benefit from both?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, the pups can benefit from both SmartZYME and Moxxor. The frozen algae product (SmartZYME) will provide more living energy and vitality. However, the Moxxor contains building blocks of health that aren't in the other.

To get the maximal benefit perhaps use one for a week, then switch to the other.

They can also be used at the same time if that is easier for you to do.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes!

HannahS

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello @Dr. Jean , thank you for this info about Nordic Naturals and Moxxor
I am unable to easily get Moxxor here in New Zealand (go figure!) so I am going to start with Nordic Naturals for my cat Moses' arthritis, as it is easily available.
I also have a list of things to search on the advice of @Dr. Jeff but they are going to take a while to sort out as they need referrals from a veterinarian.
In the meantime I have a question about dosage: on the Nordic Naturals Pet bottle it only has information for dogs.
My cat weighs between 4.7-.4.8 kg (10 - 10.5 pounds) when he is at a fit and healthy weight.
What would you recommend?
I found a website that stated 1/4 tsp (1.25 ml) but it didn't say if that was daily.
All help appreciated!
Yours in loving animals,
Hannah ?

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
LOL I can't believe you can't get NEW ZEALAND green-lipped mussels in NEW ZEALAND! It's not like you couldn't go for a swim in Marlborough Sound and pick them yourself!! If you don't mind, I'll contact the president of the company and see what's up with that!!

Definitely get the 2 oz bottle, since fish oil breaks down quicker than other oils. It's the same dose as for dogs by weight, but here are Nordic's specific cat directions:

Suggested daily use for cats
  • 2-4 lbs: 0.25 mL (37 mg EPA/25 mg DHA)
  • 5-9 lbs: 0.5 mL (74 mg EPA/51 mg DHA)
  • 10-14 lbs: 0.75 mL (110 mg EPA/76 mg DHA)
  • 15-20 lbs: 1.0 mL (147 mg EPA/101 mg DHA)
  • Over 20 lbs: 1.25 mL (184 mg EPA/127 mg DHA)
Cheers,
Dr. Jean

HannahS

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you @Dr. Jean for that dosage guide! Much appreciated.
I emailed Moxxor asking if they had a NZ distributor and they said I can only order from the US - the postage is $35.
It appears they are a US company using a NZ product as its base, and as a major selling point, and simply aiming at US markets, which makes financial sense as the NZ market is such a tiny market, if there is even a market...we tend to be a bit slow on catching onto alternative and health trends down here! And especially for pets.
I've started looking into other green lipped mussel supplements and suppliers but have found that minimum orders are often 20 kg!
I will keep looking and let you know if I find anything similar to Moxxor.
Yours in optimal health,
Hannah

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Hannah-

I bet that my friend @Dr. Liza could help with where to get supplements in NZ:

Do you want to contact her or have me ask?

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
@Dr. Jean Thank you for the wonderful information. Perhaps I missed it but I could not locate on their website how much DHA and EPA is contained in each Moxxor capsule? And how much would a 11-lb pup need per day? Thank you.

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Each 350 mg MOXXOR capsule contains 4.7% EPA and 3% DHA. These are very low milligram amounts, but because they are so bioavailable, they have a more potent effect in the body than large amounts of other Omega-3 oils. The unique thing about MOXXOR is that it contains all 18 forms of Omega-3, most of which have not been studied at all. One of them, ETA, has been studied a little, and it appears to be far more potent as an anti-inflammatory than either EPA or DHA. Because we see better results even with the tiny amounts in MOXXOR, I believe that it is the synergism of fatty acids that produce those results.

For a "newbie" I would go with 1 capsule every day for a week or two, depending on what issues you're dealing with. I consider this a "loading dose" designed to bring Omega-3 levels up to normal (assuming pretty much everyone starts in a deficient state). If serious health issues are involved, then I would stay at the 1-per day dose until you see good improvement. Once stable, then 1 capsule 2 or 3 times a week would be plenty for a tiny pupper like yours! I did have a cat with chronic skin problems who required a daily dose long-term, but that's unusual. At least it isn't as stinky as fish oil and therefore better accepted. Some dogs will even eat it as a treat. :)

JoannC

All-Access Member
Registered
LOL I can't believe you can't get NEW ZEALAND green-lipped mussels in NEW ZEALAND! It's not like you couldn't go for a swim in Marlborough Sound and pick them yourself!! If you don't mind, I'll contact the president of the company and see what's up with that!!

Definitely get the 2 oz bottle, since fish oil breaks down quicker than other oils. It's the same dose as for dogs by weight, but here are Nordic's specific cat directions:

Suggested daily use for cats
  • 2-4 lbs: 0.25 mL (37 mg EPA/25 mg DHA)
  • 5-9 lbs: 0.5 mL (74 mg EPA/51 mg DHA)
  • 10-14 lbs: 0.75 mL (110 mg EPA/76 mg DHA)
  • 15-20 lbs: 1.0 mL (147 mg EPA/101 mg DHA)
  • Over 20 lbs: 1.25 mL (184 mg EPA/127 mg DHA)
Cheers,
Dr. Jean
Hi Dr Jean, how does Moxxor compare with pure encapsulation EPA/DHA? Should I switch for Teddy? He gets 500mg 2x a day along with reservatrol for polycythemia and a few other things. But fish oil is very important right now. Thank you.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom