• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Non-Anesthetic Dentistry for Dogs and Cats

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Everyone-

I've been asked to share my experiences with using NAD for my patients.

When I was using the Houndstooth tech for semi-annual dental clinics, I found it to be an extraordinary safe and effective procedure. And amazingly fast when used preventively.

After observing one clinic here in Weston, even dentist Dr. McFarland said he found the procedure to be quite thorough.

However NAD does not replace anesthetic dentistry.

It is a great Holistic Action! that adds to your home dental care.

Home care includes tooth brushing (by hand, electric toothbrush or waterpik) and other dental stimulants like toys, feeding meaty bones, supplements like Proden Plaqueoff, gum massage, etc.

When NAD is not enough to clean your pets' teeth, a trained dental tech has the knowledge and experience to refer you to a vet for in-hospital anesthetic dentistry.

Opinions about NAD vary widely and one big vet organization (AAHA)even won't allow vet members to offer NAD in their AAHA-certified clinics.

Click/tap here to read Cr. Christina's article with opinions about what to do from other vets.

Last edited:

MauraF

All-Access Member
Registered
Interesting article by Dr. Christina. Not surprisingly, the opinions were all over the map. Price for NAD four times a year would be prohibitive. Performed by a highly trained, experienced, gentle and caring technician, a NAD is useful. Caveat; Small dogs have small mouths which can be difficult to work on. Two of my Shih Tzu had an appointment with an excellent practitioner. She started with the younger, smaller dog, who has teeth the size of rice. The first few minutes were spent becoming acquainted with the pup and mouth play. Then,15 minutes were spent on the dental after which I was called over and she showed me what she had done and discussed the condition of the dog's mouth. Next up was the older sister. She had significant dental issues and I was called over within a few minutes and had the disease sites pointed out at which time she provided the name and telephone number of the only dental vet in my state. I was able to quickly obtain an appointment and quite a few teeth were removed. My girl goes for vet visits every six months and this topic had never come up once. Eighteen months later, the original hygienist was no longer in the business. Another person came locally and offered appointments. For the same fee, she literally spent four minutes with the little one and five minutes with the big dog. She insisted that she had done a complete NDA. I was angry but could do nothing and, what was even worse - a friend had signed up for the service based upon my recommendation. Based upon my experience, unless one is absolutely certain that the hygienist is a quality person providing a quality service, I would pass and not give it a second thought.

E

eileenthoma

Very interesting articles. I had always been told that dental problems are more prevalent in small dogs. Is there any truth to this statement? And if yes, what would explain this?
Also has there been any studies done on the type of food consumed and dental health? Just wondering if that could make a difference.

jenbridwell

All-Access Member
HA! Faculty
We offer Plaq Clenz treatment at my salon. While it is more effective than regular brushing, it in no way replaces NAD or regular dentistry, and is only marginally helpful if it is the only dental hygiene, and only gets performed every several - or less often- weeks.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
What is Plaq Clenz and how do you use it Jen?

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom