• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Newly diagnosed mast cell tumor

Nicci

VIP Member
Registered
Hello all,

I apologize for being absent on Monday’s webinar. We’ve had a busy few weeks and we’re gearing up for conference season.

Our 9 year old Pitbull rescue, Taser was diagnosed with a malignant mast cell tumor on his right chest. During a flare up the tumor can be the size of a dime or even a nickel, but 90 % of the time it is almost impossible to find.

For those unfamiliar with mast cell tumors, it is common for the site(s) to become inflammed due to the concentration of mast cells releasing excess histamine, heprin and proteolytic enzymes which cause the redness, swelling and inflammation commonly associated with these types of tumors.

Taser did have a non adjuvanted rabies vaccination around thanksgiving, which probably is playing a role here.  Prior to that he was vaccines her schedule for rabies only aside from when he was between 5mo-2 years where he received most recommended “puppy vaccines” including rabies, DHPP, kennel cough and Lyme.

I rescued him when he was about 5 months old from NYC, with no medical records.  He was intact and seemingly had no issues.  Within weeks of rescuing him, and in the midst of puppy vaccinations and neutering he was diagnosed with severe colitis. Taser was extremely ill, unable to keep food down, and extreme bloody diarrhea.  After several food changes, antibiotics, steroids etc.  I found help putting him into a raw diet and we have had zero recurrence.

At this young age he was also diagnosed with minor hip displasia and arthritis which have been pretty successfully managed with a high quality glucosamine supplement and chiro/acupuncture.

In the midst of his maturation through 3 years old we did have some severe behavioral issues centering around anxiety which can likely be attributed to the over vaccination.  We worked through the majority of these issues with very little residual issue aside from some minor and well controlled separation anxiety that is absolutely my own fault.

Flash forward to about 2 years ago when taser suddenly became ill with clear watery diarrhea with loss of appetite, depressed mood, and extreme thirst that did not resolve with 12 hours worth of fasting. He has significant skin turgor which landed him in the veterinary clinic for 48 hours of fluid and antibiotic therapy.  This veterinarian blamed his raw food for salmonella contamination... for which he eventually tested negative for. The cause was unfounded but the antibiotics and steroids ultimately took a toll on his gut health that took me several months to regulate with diet and supplementation.

That being said, we do have a great team of veterinarians who practice both homeopathy and integrative options.  We will have extensive blood work done within the next few days and will likely not seek to remove the tumor and rather manage through IV vitamin C therapy and other natural immunotherapy means unless his tumor comes back as aggressive

He gets a healthy amount of pretty rigorous exercise several times a day which we plan to increase. He eats a raw diet inclusive of a variety of organic proteins, and several supplements that are rotated including:

(Organic if applicable)leafy greens, turmeric paste, colostrum, immunity herbal supplement, bone broth, goats milk, milk thistle, coconut oik, organic immunity mushroom supplement (variety) cod liver oil, high dose CBD oil, small amounts of watermelon, blueberries or blackberries and filtered water.

Recently I discontinued his glucosamine supplement because it contained hyraulonic acid which has conflicting options on whether or not it can accelerate the rate of cell growth. Not sure this is the best decision or not give his minor arthritis going into his senior years

I would love to hear anyone’s expertise with Mast cell, other homeopathic options or anything else anyone would like to share. We really want tase to keep his quality of life and not have to endure any chemo or radiation.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Nicci-

I'm so sorry to hear about Taser.

Fortunately he's in great hands with you and your healing team!

How was the diagnosis of malignant mast cell tumor made? Aspiration?

I ask because an aspirate alone can really only show the presence of cells that may or may not be truly malignant.

However, regardless of diagnosis it is great that you are working nutritionally to help his Vitality keep this at bay.

Speaking of which, have you read the great "Cancer's Invasion Equation" article?

It's from the New Yorker and a highlighted version is in your member resource area.

In addition to all that you're doing, I'd also strongly suggest you add an experienced (they are usually also certified by the Academy of Vet Homeopathy) classical homeopath to your vet care team.

S/he will also include direct treatment of Taser's energetic Vitality along with the physiologically-based supplements.

This is very important as his "colitis" history indicates that the energetic "roots" of this problem go way back and still needs to be addressed.

Please keep us updated on Taser's progress.

Dr. Jeff

Nicci

VIP Member
Registered
Thank you Dr. Jeff for your response.

This was diagnosed via needle aspirate.  We were pretty sure of it last week before the aspirate so I began making supplement changes and just got the official cytology report back this week.

I will look into the article you mentioned and thank you!

Best,

Nicci

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Nicci-

As per our Zoom chat, it sounds like you are doing everything possible to increase Taser's Vitality!

Keep it up!

Do you have any questions about the article?

Dr. Jeff

tsharlo1

VIP Member
Registered
Hi Nicci,

Just wanted to briefly share that my Bernese Mountain Dog was diagnosed with a MCT when she was 3 yo and will be 11 yo in September. I was a client with Dr. Feinman at the time and decided  not have the MCT removed and did not do chemo or radiation. She was already on a raw diet and supplements have been added as needed over the years. The MCT often went away and came back several times and now almost 8 years later she does have more bumps that are suspected to be MCT. She has had ups and downs but overall has done well though is now slowing down and struggling but likely due to her arthritis.

I'm curious about your comment about Hyaluronic acid as I have been giving her Trixsyn for quite some time and she certainly needs something to help with her arthritis.

I believe I made the right decision to not have the MCT removed. It has been very important to have Dr. Feinman managing her flare ups.

I would be happy to share more if you have questions.

Debbie

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Debbie and Nicci-

Thanks for sharing your experience Debbie.

I've recently been <a href="https://www.theroc.us/researchlibrary/Cannabinomimetic%20Control%20of%20Mast%20Cell%20Mediator%20Release-%20New%20Perspective%20in%20Chronic%20Inflammation.pdf">reading</a> more about the synergistic effect of PEA and cannabinoids (like in the Hemp Rx) in stabilizing mast cells. And preventing de-granulation such as may be happening in Kedron's sudden red eye episodes.

PEA appears to be useful in this respect.

However, palliating (and covering up) symptoms needs to be used cautiously and only in context of certain symptoms like episodes of shock.

Palliation of symptoms during homeopathic treatment can make evaluating the homeopathic medicines more difficult by blunting the symptom manifestation.

The bottom line is although CBDs and PEA may be useful, but they are <strong>holistically </strong>only indicated when the symptoms are taken in context.

Nicci

VIP Member
Registered
Dr Jeff, do you have any particular articles you recommend re: PEA and CBD in stabilizing mast cells?

In addition, has anyone in this forum ever had their pet experience extremely red skin from head to toe that was hot/warm to the touch?  For example, tonight when I got home from work, about 7:30 Tase greeted me at the front door in excitement to see me, everything about his BEAM was normal. Within a half hour of me being home he became extremely red and hot. His skin and mucous membranes all over his entire body became red (eyes, ears, belly and everywhere I could see skin). I also noted that his MCT on his chest was deep red.  We also noticed him limping on his hind legs which he does from time to time that is usually relieved with acupuncture and chiropractic manipulations. I found it odd that all of these symptoms started at exactly the same time. Normally his lameness in the hind end is a result of playing too hard and comes the day after heavy activity, which was not the case today. I’ve never seen him get erythema from head to toe and be hot, however I have seen the MCT site become red and hot to the touch about 4 times since his diagnosis.

It seems the remedy that would help him most is Apis mellifica, and of course I don’t have that. I did try some arnica because that does help when he is sore from playing, but that didn’t seem to have any impact.  I will try and find some tomorrow and report back.

Taser’s behavior is normal, however is energy is definitely muted. Appetite is completely normal - was happy to eat dinner (rabbit - he has been getting cooling meats rabbit or duck), and his mood is definitely a little blue. Since being on his duck/rabbit, and other immunity supplements I wonder if he is immune system is starting to turn around or if this is all related to the MCT. I noted that the site was not at all inflamed when I arrived home and I did not notice anything physically irritate it, although he may have bumped or scratched it when I wasn’t looking. He is not in any distress, breathing normally, not tachypnic, lungs are clear, pulse is normal - so I am trying to just stay calm and reassess in the morning.

Thanks!
Nicci

Nicci

VIP Member
Registered
Hi Debbie,

I am still struggling a bit with not having removed the MCT. 90% of the time I am completely comfortable with the decision to treat him without surgery/chemo/radiation, however there is still that small percentage of the time that I wonder.

I do take comfort in knowing that you successfully managed the MCT for years by doing the same. At the end of the day I personally believe it is much more important to foster a quality of life over the quantity of life. Losing Tase will be devastating for me, however I will not compromise his QOL due to selfishness.  He is such a sweet and happy go lucky dog and anything that will take away from that, in my opinion, is not the right course of treatment for him.

&nbsp;

Best,

Nicci

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Nicci-

Fantastic that you're focusing on Tase's internal balance and quality of life!

I'm not aware of any conventional medicine statistics regarding recurrence and worsening of MCTs (or any tumor) after surgery, but that certainly has been the clinical experience borne out by hundreds of years of clinical evidence.

Tumor removal without also treating the internal imbalance that resulted in the tumor in the first place is a severe type of symptom suppression.

You're doing exactly what I am doing with many my own rescue pup's malignant skin tumors.

Regarding PEA and CBDs, there are many relevant human research articles.

In fact I recently asked "Dr. Pot" (Dr. Rob Silver) about this very topic and he too is pursuing it further. BTW-His book on the subject can be found at:

http://www.potforpets.info/

One vet PEA product is: https://wiggleless.com/comfort-supplements/vital-pet-sciences-palmlamide/ however I have not investigated or used it.

Regarding articles, here's a few: https://anndermatol.org/Synapse/Data/PDFData/0140AD/ad-28-22.pdf

https://www.theroc.us/researchlibrary/Cannabinomimetic%20Control%20of%20Mast%20Cell%20Mediator%20Release-%20New%20Perspective%20in%20Chronic%20Inflammation.pdf

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24482732

the original one from 1993: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7505999

In addition to any physiologic intervention of this kind, you're definitely on the right track with the Apis.

That could be very useful for helping control any acute flare-ups.

At the same time, you (and your vet homeopath) could pursue a chronic, deeper-acting, remedy for Taser.

I will absolutely let you know what my CBD and PEA research uncover.

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

tsharlo1

VIP Member
Registered
Hi Nicci,

As I mentioned Kedron has had flare ups and the first symptom is her eyes quickly becoming very red as well as her gums, ears and the skin on her belly. Her MCT would get larger after an episode but then go back down. I just looked in my journal and her first episode was August 2012 and sometimes they were a couple weeks apart and sometimes a month or more. The past couple years they have been less frequent.

The episodes typically last 20 minutes to 1 1/2 hours though occasionally longer. Other symptoms during an episode may include coughing, eyes squinting, lying rigid and not wanting to move, head tilted upwards, quivering, drooling, gagging or retching. At the end of an episode she always has a long drink and then is fine and acts like nothing happened. Sometimes when she gets up for the drink at the end of the episode her hindquarters are very weak but she generally recovers from that quickly.

They did not interfere with her quality of life (other than maybe delaying a walk to the park until the episode was over!)

Hope that helps.

Debbie

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom