• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Newbie question: Taurine brand and dosage recommendation (Canada)

ValerieE

VIP Member
Registered
I understand that if going raw for a cat, taurine must be added to be safe even if the cat is chewing on chicken drumstick bones and eating chicken wings bones. However, could anyone recommend a few trusted brand available in Canada and the dosage for cats. Is it based on weight?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Valerie. @Dr. Jean is the expert here, but bones don't contain much (any?) taurine.

Feeding enough heart from chickens, turkeys, etc. is typically enough taurine.

Regarding calcium and bones, consuming drumsticks and wings provide sufficient calcium.

Eggshellent calcium and seaweed calcium are good supplement sources for kitties who eat raw without bone.

ValerieE

VIP Member
Registered
Thank you for the clarification. I have an organic kelp mix I use for human consumption but I could share with my cat. I will check your recommendation and try to find out the dosage. Chicken hearts, she loves them, it is like a treat, she gets them at least every second week, between 3 and 6 depending on the menu of the day. Would that be enough for a small cat (8.5 lb)?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Sure! Though I don't know if kelp has as much calcium as the special seaweeds designed for calcium supplementation.

Perhaps consider weekly hearts (maybe even daily) as long as her stools remain OK.

ValerieE

VIP Member
Registered
Tyank you. I mistyped, I meant chicken hearts every second DAY, so I should be OK. Possible side effects on stools would be???

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Depending on her stomach's susceptibility/sensitivity to the hearts , she should be fine or may have some transient looser stools if she needs to adjust to giving the hearts more often.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom