• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Neutering and Cancer - a Saluki Breeder's experience

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi everyone-

Just in time for our Monday Empower Hour! webinar, Cassandra just shared her experience as a breeder of Saluki dogs.

She said that 3 of 7 dogs in a litter that she bred died from osteosarcoma and all 3 were altered at six months of age.o_O

The other 4 pups in the litter were not effected.

Findings like this are corroborated by the research.

Click/tap here for an article that discusses the protective effect of sex hormones.

This study focused on lymphoma and Golden Retrievers, but other studies discuss other cancers and other breeds.

There is an important role in population control for desexing, but it's important that you also know that any dog or cat can be harmed by spaying and neutering.

Empowering yourselves with this knowledge is an important part of making a mindful medical decisions and HMDM research.

I look forward to discussing this topic in this thread and on our next Empower Hour! webinar.

Dr. Jeff

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Wanting to add my experience with Reyah to this. She was surrendered to a shelter with an ulcerated mammary tumor when she was seven years old. She had the tumor for one year but it was never addressed. The cancer spread to her lungs. Reyah was not spayed until she had surgery for the tumor, again at seven years of age. English Springer Spaniel, now 11.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for sharing Reyah's story Kristen.

4 years is an awesome length of time (since the lung tumor was found)!

It never ceases to amaze me how well the body is able to use its vitality to maintain balance to deal with physical issues like this.

Has she been eating a fresh food diet all of that time?

Any other treatments since the surgery?

Dr. Jeff

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Love that you posted Reyeh's story, Kristen. How did you choose the name Reyeh?

Maybe you can take a few minutes to post in the Introduce yourself section. About all the spiritual things you do, travels, hosting courses and more.

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Love that you posted Reyeh's story, Kristen. How did you choose the name Reyeh?

Maybe you can take a few minutes to post in the Introduce yourself section. About all the spiritual things you do, travels, hosting courses and more.

Her original name was Oreo and I didn't want a dog named after a cookie! Reyah is from the Quran and a few of its meanings are strength, triumph, and victory. I chose it because of the meaning after her diagnosis and it kind of sounded similar to Oreo.

I'll get to introducing myself at some point...soon!

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks for sharing Reyah's story Kristen.

4 years is an awesome length of time (since the lung tumor was found)!

It never ceases to amaze me how well the body is able to use its vitality to maintain balance to deal with physical issues like this.

Has she been eating a fresh food diet all of that time?

Any other treatments since the surgery?

Dr. Jeff

Yes, only fresh food raw served here except sometimes when I go away. Then maybe frozen raw in consideration of my pet sitter! Oh, and am starting to lightly cook some fish. No other treatments. Only supplements and no vaccines of course. She also gets Reiki and healing touch. I'm a practitioner of both.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom