• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Need help with HMDM and Vit. B12 for my dog, Reese

AliceR

Registered
Hello,

@Dr. Jeff, @Dr. Christina and @Dr. Sara, asking for your input regarding Vit. B12 usage.

I've written previously about my dog Reese. He is a 12 yr. old NM English Shepherd. In 2015, he had extremely low rbc count and anemia. After treating for 6 mths., my vet recommended a splenectomy. He had that surgery in Oct. 2015. My vet had me give him vit. B12 injections daily and then as he became healthier, I gave him the shots 1ml. 2x /week. Still giving the shots. He is also being treated by a homeopathic vet.

I called my current vet to get more Vit. B12 and was told that the vet wanted to do a cobalamin/folate test before she would prescribe it. I asked the price and was told it was $200- I asked what else was included in the panel and nothing else was included. I mentioned that I thought if too much Vit. B was given, it was just passed in the urine. The receptionist didn't know.

So, my question is- I've noticed there is some oral Vit. B12, which doesn't need a prescription, would that suffice for Reese? Or, should I get the Vit. B12 blood test in order to get the injectable B12, which I've read is more effective?

Thank you for your input. I was kind of shocked at the price of the blood test.

Alice

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great question Carol!

Yes, oral B12 liquid from Rx Vitamins has been shown to increase blood levels of B12.

I believe you can B12 + vit D through our friends at the VDI lab, much more affordably.

To use VDI, I think you order the test, your vet draws the blood and sends it to the lab.

It may even be more affordable through the Texas A&M GI lab where the test originated.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
I'll be curious as to the results here. My own super-duper MD just told me, because I asked just this, that the oral B12 sprays, pills, etc. had never been found to persist in the blood compared to the injections. Oh, well - more sticks in the butt fo me...

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I'll be curious as to the results here. My own super-duper MD just told me, because I asked just this, that the oral B12 sprays, pills, etc. had never been found to persist in the blood compared to the injections. Oh, well - more sticks in the butt fo me...
@AliceR @GinnyW Why not just eat more red meat!! No better source of B12 if you are able to absorb the B12 from the gut. I have had doctors tell me to eat some once a week. I also do know people who NEED injections because they cannot absorb it from the gut. The other consideration is that, people especially as they get older, lack intrinsic factor-- a transport molecule needed for absorption of B12. So to bypass the gut, injections are the way to go. My Gabby with the Protein Losing Enteropathy (intestinal protein loss) is periodically checked for her cobalamin and folate to make sure she is absorbing. BTW, I do give her the RX Vitamins Amino Plex with the cobalamin. So far she is within range. Her folate was low but with supplementation over the past 3 months she is thankfully in the normal range now. So I guess the answer is that B12 can be absorbed orally but if there are factors that inhibit the absorption, injections can work. As an aside, I have asked a few holistic vets this---why is cyanocobalamin used in dogs versus methycobalamin. I thought cyano form was toxic and methyl form was better absorbed (at least in humans) but cannot find a vet that seems to use methyl or if it is even available.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
I eat a lot of raw red meat, just about daily. I take a 2ml cyanocobalamin injection every five days. I just had bloodwork done, but I don't think we asked for a B12 result:) I found this snippet:

<Methylcobalamin is the methyl form of cobalamin obtained from hydroxycobalamin, either by chemical manipulation in the laboratory or in the body as a natural process. Cyano- and hydroxocobalamin are considered the storage or transport forms of cobalamin, while methylcobalamin and deoxyadenosylcobalamin are the active forms involved in enzymatic reactions. Methylcobalamin is involved specifically in the normal metabolism of folate and the consequent maintenance of normal homocysteine serum levels>

There is good evidence for humans doing well on meat diets. See Home | Carnivore MD.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
@GinnyW You eat RAW meat? Maybe you should cook it to make it more digestible? Just asking...
If Methylcobalamin is involved specifically in normal metabolism of folate then that would be even more reason for my vet to not use cyanocobalamin and use methylcobalamin, no? I do supplement her orally with folate and it did put her folate in the normal range now. Things are so individualized and gets complicated for humans and dogs.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Exactly why I prefer to get nutrients from whole appropriate, raw foods whenever possible. As for cyanocobalamin, the "storage" factor may be important here, as the methyl form is apparently derived from the stored cobalamin.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
So then which form of B12 should be given to help with folate metabolism as in the case of my dog who had low folate? The vets I have asked give cyanocobalamin only. I feel like I might be missing the boat!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Anthony William likes the Vimergy liquid B12. In addition, I use:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom