• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Naturally Deworming Dogs

JamieK

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Everyone

I work at Earth Animal and we had a customer come in with a new Bison puppy and of course the puppy has been over vaccinated but I also notice how often the puppy got dewormed and this started at 2 weeks old and has been done every two weeks until the puppy is now 12 weeks old. I looked it up and this is a normal practice. My question is what is a natural way of doing this instead of using so much chemicals on a new born that is trying to develop it immune system? I has to be compromising it's natural immune system to develop properly. Dog in the wild don't have access to chemicals so there has to be a more natural way of doing this and of course I would like to educate or customers on this.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Fantastic question Jamie!

Yes, it is a common practice among breeders and vets who are fearful of "invaders" of any kind in the body be that intestinal parasites, bacteria, etc.

In the wild it is known that animals do not need to do anything about most intestinal worms.

Worms are often found happily living inside healthy animals and don't usually cause a problem.

We have made them a problem through unhealthy lifestyles including multiple assaults on very young pets' immune systems.

In this case, if pyrantel pamoate was used for deworming, it's not nearly as harmful as the vaccinations.

However, to answer your question, there are multiple plants that animals eat in the wild that can act as natural dewormers.

Here you can read or watch Anthony's take on the truth about worms:

JamieK

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you as always Dr Jeff. I will make sure our customers are aware of this article as well.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome, it's my pleasure to help Jamie.?

In addition to what I wrote earlier, this book has some great suggestions and a wonderful discussion about how dogs treat themselves in the wild:

The herbs which Juliette describes effectively treat worms.

However, prevention by treatment of the terrain, which optimizes the intestinal immune system to keep the number of worms down, is even more effective.

This is the same method, based on individuality and symptoms, that will be focused on during the upcoming cancer webinar series.

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
I use and recommend the Verm-X products from the UK. They are available through Amazon. These herbal combinations improve the health of the intestines, so the dogs eliminate the worms. I use these monthly in my Berners, and they are at least as effective as conventional wormers. I had cause to discover this when I couldn't get this product for a year, during which I raised a litter of pups who passed roundworms. I hadn't had to use conventional wormers for any litters when using Verm-X!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Dr. Sara, what are the Verm-X ingredients?

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
I use the Verm-X Liquid. Pups get half the adult dose, once a month for three days in a row, from 4 weeks of age through 6 months of age. At 6 months of age they receive the adult dose.

From the website:
Verm-X Liquid for Dogs is designed to be added to the feed for three consecutive days per month. We offer this more economical but equally effective alternative for larger kennels and working dog environments.

Verm-X Dog Liquid Composition: Cinnamon, Garlic, Common Thyme, Peppermint, Fennel, Cleavers, Nettle, Slippery Elm, Quassia, Elecampane.

There are also daily Crunchies:
Verm-X Crunchies are designed to be fed every day throughout the year. This means that you do not need to buy additional reward or treat products for your dogs as our Verm-X formulation can act as an traditional treat whilst functioning as a continual intestinal hygiene control.

Verm-X Dog Crunchies Composition: Brown Rice, Poultry Meal, Beet Pulp, Poultry Fat, Cinnamon, Garlic, Common Thyme, Peppermint, Fennel, Cleavers, Nettle, Slippery Elm, Quassia, Cayenne, Potato Starch, Potato, Brewers Yeast, Chicken stock, Seaweed, Salmon Oil, Minerals and Vitamins, Prebiotic MOS, Prebiotic FOS, Green Tea Extract.

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
@Dr. Sara -- Hi --quick question about Verm-X liquid. Charlie has intestinal parasites again. I'm waiting to hear back from the vet about which one. I have Verm-X but never started it, choosing the injection instead because he was losing weight. Then I forgot!

Wondering if I should split the amount he should get and give him half at each of his meals. Does it matter or make sense to do that?

Thanks!
Kristen

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Kristen,
Please give the Verm-X liquid as it directs on the package: the full dose, once daily for three days in a row. The herbal components need to be present in sufficient concentration to do their job of improving intestinal health, so dividing the dose is not a good idea.
Hookworms and whipworms can persist in the environment, so clean up stools as soon as they are passed. Roundworms do not live as long in the environment, and dogs develop some resistance to them, so they are less of a problem. If dogs and cats eat prey or fleas, they may be be exposed to tapeworms.
Stay well,
Sara

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
@Dr. Sara -- thank you so much! Glad I asked about splitting the dose. I heard back from the vet and he has hook worms.

Charlie rarely has a bm in the yard and I'm usually with him so they get cleaned up right away. If there's a surprise, I get it the next day and am always checking.

Recently he ate a chipmunk that a hawk must have dropped, very fresh. And then a dead baby bird. And he LOVES rabbit poop. Honestly I think he asks to go out after he eats for dessert!

Thank you again!
Kristen

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom