• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

My dogs toes are very spread apart.

SarahK

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello!

I have a 22 month old female German Shepherd, Ellie. Ellie does strengthening training 2-3 times a day, and this is when I noticed how far apart her toes are, so I am unsure of when it started. Her front paws are definitely way worse than her back paws. I mainly notice it when I have her step up on something , but also have noticed it a few times when she is sitting. I will attach photos below.

I should also mention Ellie does have anaplasma phagocytophilum , could this be related? What can I do to help with this?

29515CF5-67B9-4BA4-AD58-62C232FE0429.jpeg

17575849-F54D-4916-88EB-5363110E24CD.jpeg

FCA1C3CE-E16E-45BE-B38D-83967595A654.jpeg

@beccak

thank you!
Sarah

beccak

All-Access Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Hi @SarahK
I'm going to throw one more picture in here. This was Ellie’s front paws on 8/18/21.
Becca

A31A549B-B1DF-4394-A017-D383BA64F752.jpeg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for pointing out this important post Aruna!

Yes Sarah, her splayed toes could be related to the Anaplasma.

Not so much physiologically, but definitely energetically.

In that her body's immune system may be utilizing more energy in order to fight the Anaplasma (and the doxycycline if she is getting that).

However as you said, the timing of this would be important to know in order to further pinpoint a cause. It could also be related to other musculoskeletal issues, her estrus cycle or even something she was born with.

Regardless of etiology, the best thing to do is to keep working with Becca on your pup's core strength and overall mobility and energy.

An extra Therapeutic Sniff Walk (or two), nosework, and other fun games will help increase her energy and along with homeopathic care could help her resolve any joint or immune issue.

Perhaps start focusing on using the Happiness Protocol for her:

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Might be interesting to see if "strength training" for her feet, with a Bosu Ball or FitBone, etc. might tighten up the arch and ankle. These devices cause the various muscles to contract alternately to maintain balance. I agree the disease angle must be given top priority, but after that...

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom