• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

My dog has constant diarrhea

KathyS

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello,

My 16 year old dog has renal failure so I'm not sure if diarrhea is part of kidney failure, but it seems like his tummy hurts a lot and he has not been able to eat his normal foods or supplements. Any ideas? He still eats which is good, but much more picky and the supplements of l-carnatine and any type of phosphorous binder he is unable to take. He has cut down on his peeing probably due to the diarrhea, but he still can drink a lot of water.

KathyS

All-Access Member
Registered
I recently got him labs for a cancer panel and am waiting for the results.

HA! Support

Administrator
All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Kathy.

I'm sorry to hear he's in pain. How difficult for both of you ((((hugs))))

To assist Dr. Jeff and our other experts, perhaps you can you tell us a bit more:

What is his typical diet?
What is he eating now?
What does he weigh? Has he lost weight?
How is he indicating the tummy pain?
How long has it been since the renal failure diagnosis?

Lots of positive vibes coming his (and your) way!

Kim in Support

KathyS

All-Access Member
Registered
He will not eat his kidney food or the normal foods he loves like peas and carrots. His tail is down a lot and he looks more in pain when he eats. He was able to eat some oatmeal and celery pieces today. When I took him to the vet earlier this week they told me he had not lost weight, but he has eaten way less than he usually eats a few bites of this and that. And today just a little oatmeal and some celery pieces. The phosbind gives him more pain so had to quit that along with the l-carnitine. When he took that he was lethargic and his tail was down all the time.

KathyS

All-Access Member
Registered
I just made an appointment with my vet for Monday. I was hoping that I could wait until I got the cancer panel back, but since he's not eating I didn't think I could wait. Hopefully he can at least get some pain pills.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Maybe over the weekend you can get him eating again.

A first step is to take the Holistic Health for Pets 101 class and in lesson 5 there is a link to help you find a holistic vet to be working with. This is really critical.

At your local health food store you should be able to get some Rescue Remedy. The one for people is fine. Put a few drops on your hands and rub his coat with it several times a day. Put a drop or two where he sleeps.

If the store has any healthy dog treats buy a variety to try. Pick up some organic baby food. Liquids - bone broth, raw goats milk, fish broth. Don't worry about the supplements right now. Do not even think about what may be good for him. Right now offer him any foods he has ever loved. Try hand feeding. Before putting down or offering food, send very positive thoughts to it and to him.

Do whatever makes him happy - outside, massages, cuddles, etc. Keep your thoughts positive and be in the moment and schedule times to do your worry and research.

There is a lot of material on the HA! website that could help the nausea (which can be from renal disease), but for now, try these acupressure points - Acupressure for your dog's stomach

Dr. Christina

KathyS

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you Dr. Christina! The dog seems a lot happier since I gave him some raw chicken. At least his BEAM was good when he ate it. I rolled half of it in Aventi kidney care to defer some of the posphorous since he has renal failure and which he wasn't sure about at first, but he did eat it. I will keep you posted. I will also try the accupressure. Thank you again!

KathyS

All-Access Member
Registered
Well now the dog is doing worse, constant peeing and diarrhea. I will back off on the food, even if he doesn't eat and try the accupressure.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Now would be the time to add a holistic veterinarian to your health care team. This article will help you find one. Remember that some homeopathic vets can help virtually.

keep working on what makes the dog happiest.

Dr. Christina

KathyS

All-Access Member
Registered
I called my vet and learned that he tested positive for cancer. The senior vet tech offered to give me some end of life vets where they could come to the house and put him down since he also has renal failure and kidney disease. I told her I was not ready for that yet, but it may come to that soon. I told her I would keep my Monday morning appointment. I also see Dr. Jeff on Thursday. I called some of the holistic vets but no one is in right now. I will need to call them on Monday. Whatever happens, I am NOT going to go to the ER over the weekend where he doesn't know anyone and they want to run ever test in the book. Unless it gets to where he can''t breathe or is in serious pain then that is another story.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Kathy!
Do whatever makes him happy - outside, massages, cuddles, etc. Keep your thoughts positive and be in the moment and schedule times to do your worry and research.
This is what I was going to say as I was reading down the thread. So thank you Dr. Christina for mentioning that!

I agree with you Kathy that your pup may be getting ready for the permanent sleep.

IMHO, dogs who are ready for that transition would not be happy to eat raw chicken.

How big, or what breed, is your pup?

Perhaps upload some of his recent bloodwork here to give us more context.

In lieu of that, do you know his creatine, phosphorus, albumin and hematocrit?

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
I would definitely not rush into euthanasia before your appointment with Dr. Jeff on thursday unless nothing you do is making him more comfortable.

And Dr. Jeff wanted me to correct his above post from :
I agree with you Kathy that your pup is ready for the permanent sleep.
TO:
I agree with you Kathy that your pup might be getting ready for the permanent sleep.

Dr. Christina

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks so much for clarifying Dr. Christina! I just got back online and was able to edit my post.

Kathy, use food, sniffing, petting, playing, etc. to keep him as happy as possible so he can have as many good times as possible.

KathyS

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you Dr. Jeff and Dr. Christina,
His health has gotten worse and he's not really enjoying anything. He can't eat anything not even his favorite meats such as turkey or beef. I put calming dog music on and that seemed to calm him a bit. then he gets up to go to the bathroom and has short bouts of diarrhea, but it's like he keeps trying to poop and can't. He looks miserable. He does let me hold him for a little while. I decided to put him down Monday when I see my vet. I really think it's time, but I think you for all of your wise advise.

KathyS

All-Access Member
Registered
FYI, he is a chihuahua terrier mix. I don't have his recent bloodwork, but I do have the results from the cancer panel. neoplasia is high. 16.8 percent which my vet says is cancer, 81 for hyurolic acid, vitamin d, magnesium and folate and cobalamin are all normal.. I could get recent blood work Monday but if he's this miserable I'm not sure it's worth it.

KathyS

All-Access Member
Registered
I put my little guy down yesterday. He was at the very end stage of renal failure had sore in this mouth etc. I know I did the right thing. And I want to thank both Dr. Christina and Dr. jeff, particularly Dr. Jeff who guided me through Peanuts declining health for the last 3 years. Now all I'm dealing with is the pet grief, but I feel better today than yesterday. Curious to know how I would cancel an upcoming Thursday appointment with Dr. Jeff? Please advise. Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss of Peanut Kathryn. 😢

Thanks to your wonderful care, he had an awe-some life and humane death. Now he's playing like a puppy over the rainbow bridge.🌈 :dog2:

I cancelled your call on Thursday and wonder if it would be helpful to speak instead to Dalma (who is the HA! grief counselor)?

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom