• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Measuring dog's O2 with a human finger pulse Oximeter

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Is this even possible? I am trying to get an idea of Blossom's O2 level with this. I put it on her ear flap and held it there till I got a reading. If it worked to get a reading--it must have been picking up some signal from the ear. Is that correct? I think I saw you can use the dog's lip but that would be harder for me to do with her. I would like to know because it would be helpful for me to keep this data and tie it to her symptoms. I think I drive my vet nuts with my brainy ideas but actually he said he appreciates my pursuit of knowledge. So I got these readings today: O2=77 and 84 The pulse on the two readings respectively was 57 and 64
She is considered a large dog now at 60 lbs so I think the pulse is within range but geez, if those O2 levels are accurate---not good. What O2 level is considered critical? She was not labored breathing at all at rest--just cheek puffing when outside walking. Curious to know if you have ever considered this to be accurate in a dog (well at least a quick and dirty means to get an idea of those parameters)

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
You sure *can* use it on the ear, but you might get a more accurate reading from the hairless web of skin between the toes. PO2 below 85 is abnormal, below 70 is where human doctors would consider a ventilator, but I think her mucus membranes would have a bluish tint at that level so a problem would be obvious. Given that there is probably some interference from the fur, I think it is not terribly accurate, but even so, those levels wouldn't concern me much *unless* symptoms are present that indicate respiratory distress. If you want one more sorta fun measurement, put her lip between the pads of your thumb and finger and press, just enough to prevent blood from flowing in. Hold for a few seconds. When you release, it should pink back up with in 3 seconds, indicating good flow through the capillaries.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Couldn't get an accurate reading on Yuji anywhere; ear, cheek, dewlap, toes, hamstring....Fresh battery, works fine on me.

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
You don't have fur. Any amount of hair can distort or block the signal. That's why I thought the bare skin between the toes might work but... maybe not!! :oops:

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Not sure this is worth spending a lot of time or money to do.
So many more things to explore and do every day that you can do to help Blossom thrive - TTouch, Eden Energy Medicine, acupressure, tui Na, etc - no cost other than time to begin with free info.
Dr. Christina

LilF

Community Member
Registered
You sure *can* use it on the ear, but you might get a more accurate reading from the hairless web of skin between the toes. PO2 below 85 is abnormal, below 70 is where human doctors would consider a ventilator, but I think her mucus membranes would have a bluish tint at that level so a problem would be obvious. Given that there is probably some interference from the fur, I think it is not terribly accurate, but even so, those levels wouldn't concern me much *unless* symptoms are present that indicate respiratory distress. If you want one more sorta fun measurement, put her lip between the pads of your thumb and finger and press, just enough to prevent blood from flowing in. Hold for a few seconds. When you release, it should pink back up with in 3 seconds, indicating good flow through the capillaries.
Dr. Jean, well, I have been having FUN with it at any rate, watching the waves on the screen etc. I got a 99 percent O2 level yesterday but that was probably wrong since mine was 98 and previously her levels were in the 80's or 70's but I am puzzled because it did pick up a pulse that was in range for her size. I guess I should have validated THAT number with an actual reading taking it with my fingers on one of her pulse points. Hmmm, so if the pulse was accurate (I would have to retest that theory per what I just said) then why wouldn't the O2 be accurate or within spitting range of accuracy, i.e. "close enough" She is a pitbull and really doesn't have much ear fur so I dunno. When I go to the vet next I will bring it and see what he gets on his reading versus me doing it with my finger gadget and compare. Would love to have a way to measure it daily. Thank you for your reply and I will try the refill time test if she lets me. I do keep an eye on her gum color. I think they also say bright red gums are symptoms of her possible polycythemia. I think they have been red in the past---before I knew about the meaning of red gums, I had thought to myself "gee those gums are so bright red." Now they seem pink though. Some vets were telling me she was "dehydrated" so I pinched the fur on the back between the shoulder blades and no tenting at all. So I do not think she is dehydrated enough to cause her questionable blood work which is inconclusive far as a diagnosis of polycythemia. She NEVER drinks water. It still puzzles me how sometimes she skitters around so fast spinning and crazy and other times slow as a turtle. Thanks for the input. It helps me a lot.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
She sounds like me at my healthiest - I skitter around with lots of energy, then don't move much. Remember dogs need to sleep much more than we think.
Dr. Christina

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Dr. Christina, I am laughing hard---ME TOO......My mental journaling of such times reveals nothing to reproduce again other than "happened by chance." I am never lulled into thinking I time traveled BACK to younger days for good.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom