• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Male Feline with Chronic Kidney Disease

AthinaA

Registered
  • Hi, I am new here and would like to get your opinion for my male cat Dexter, who is a 10 year old Arabian Mau and weighs 9.5lbs. He was recently diagnosed with chronic kidney disease. This does not seem to affect his energy and appetite. His diet currently consists of a grain free, preservative free wet food (www.thrivepetfoods.com) and he only likes the sardine and mackerel or tuna flavors. His vet wanted me to put him on renal dry food diet, but this made no sense to me as the ingredients were terrible and he no longer eats dry food, so why do it now when he needs hydration most. We compromised with my vet to just add a sprinkle of a binder on his wet food that removes the extra phosphate that seems to be the problem for cats with kidney issues. It is called EPAKITIN and the active ingredients are Calcium Carbonate and Chitosan, but unfortunately it also contains Hydrolyzed Soy Protein and Lactose as inactive ingredients. His numbers did seem to improve a bit so we are still giving his 1/8 tsp per day as prescribed. And he is due for his next bloodwork in July, as the vet told us we need to do tests twice a year now. I would really appreciate any guidance regarding what the ideal diet is for cats with kidney disease, whether a binder in necessary (or a better version available) and what other supplements are critical to add to his diet to take better care of him and manage his condition. I am attaching his latest blood results, before (Nov 21) and after (Jan 22) introducing the binder for a few weeks. I appreciate your help so much! @Dr. Jeff

Dexter Jan 22 Test.jpg

Dexter Nov 21 Test p2.jpg

Dexter Nov 21 Test.jpg

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Athina-

Sorry to hear about Dexter's kidney challenges.

It's great to see however that his body is trying to heal (which we can see by the lowering of his crea).
why do it now when he needs hydration most.
I agree 100%. I don't want to answer for cat expert @Dr. Jean, but I think she would agree as well.
EPAKITIN unfortunately it also contains Hydrolyzed Soy Protein and Lactose as inactive ingredients.
Perhaps take a look at Aventi which has similar binders + other good stuff:

due for his next bloodwork in July, as the vet told us we need to do tests twice a year now.
Based on BEAM, stress of testing and expense, you may even want to test 3x/year.
I would really appreciate any guidance regarding what the ideal diet is for cats with kidney disease, whether a binder in necessary (or a better version available) and what other supplements are critical to add to his diet to take better care of him and manage his condition.
My experience is that the more fresh food he'll eat, the better. The best foods (also my opinion) are meats to which you add the phosphorus binder.

Maybe see if he'll accept a bit of Small Batch raw sliders added to his food. And he may enjoy (and would benefit from) using a snuffle mat with freeze dried hearts to entice him.

Lets see if Dr. Jean has other tricks.

AthinaA

Registered
T
Hi Athina-

Sorry to hear about Dexter's kidney challenges.

It's great to see however that his body is trying to heal (which we can see by the lowering of his crea).

I agree 100%. I don't want to answer for cat expert @Dr. Jean, but I think she would agree as well.

Perhaps take a look at Aventi which has similar binders + other good stuff:

Based on BEAM, stress of testing and expense, you may even want to test 3x/year.

My experience is that the more fresh food he'll eat, the better. The best foods (also my opinion) are meats to which you add the phosphorus binder.

Maybe see if he'll accept a bit of Small Batch raw sliders added to his food. And he may enjoy (and would benefit from) using a snuffle mat with freeze dried hearts to entice him.

Lets see if Dr. Jean has other tricks.
Thank you so much @Dr. Jeff , I really appreciate your feedback!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Athina! ??

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom