• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Making raw dog and cat food

StephanieSa

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi there,
This is my first post.
I will post more info about my pets but I would like to know if I write the recipes I use for my cats and my dog if I could get feedback, recommendations on modifications?
I just want to make sure I am feeding a balanced diet.

aruna

Cat mom
Administrator
All-Access Member
@StephanieSa, of course, feel free to post your recipes. And if you haven't had a chance yet - please look at our nutrition resource and download the "uplevel your pet's nutrition" workbook -- it gives some good information on how we suggest to approach pet's nutrition.

StephanieSa

All-Access Member
Registered
Yes, I just went to look around, thank you!

So I'll start with Charlie's recipe.
He is an 7 months old Australian Shepard. 45 lbs male. Not neutered.
High energy, very sweet, always hungry.
He had some kibbles and canned food the first 4 months and I gradually switched to raw. Occasional cans when I forget to thaw his food.
I give him 2 lbs/day of the food I make and 2 oz of Bravo pre made balance beef dinner.

2 lbs chicken breast
3 lbs chicken thighs with bones, no skin. (Ground)
2 lbs chicken heart (thinking to do half beef heart)
1 lbs chicken liver
6 pastured raised eggs without shells
24 oz veggies (alternating spinach, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, pumpkin, green beans...)
12 ounces blueberries, cranberries
3 Tbs hemp seeds
3 Tbsp flax
Ginger
1/2 tsp himalayan salt
1 tbsp green lipped mussel powder
6 onces Mackerel
8 oz oysters

Kelp ? (not sure how much to add)
Wanted to add spleen for more iron but cannot find any. Was thinking pork blood?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Stephanie! Welcome to HA! and thanks for making your first posts.

Great question about your pets diets. Yes, we will comment and I'd love to mention that feeding is really, really simple. The guidelines I use are just 3 words.

1. Fresh (as fresh as possible with local farms being the most sustainable and freshest)

2. Moderation (don't feed too much of one food for too long)

3. Variety (this is super important and helps ensure balance)

That being said, the diet and ingredients you posted look awe-some!

The only subtle changes I'd suggest are extra calcium by including the eggshells. In addition, using eggshells will include the eggshell membrane (which is. great joint supplement in and of itself).

The other minor tweak is #3 above. Try to make this just part of the variety.

It's even OK (tho not ideal) to use a non-HPP commercial raw frozen diet with lots of heart like Small Batch.

StephanieSa

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you for the quick response!
So the bones from the thighs do not provide enough calcium?
He does like to eat the shells.
What do you think of pork blood?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
So the bones from the thighs do not provide enough calcium?
Yes it does but only for the thighs. Not for the chicken breast.
He does like to eat the shells.
:thumbsup:
What do you think of pork blood?
As long as the source of the pigs is clean and the pigs are humanely kept and killed then it's fine to use. Especially since it is probably coming from pigs that were used for other purposes and the more parts that we can use, including blood, the better.

BashaC

Registered
Hi @StephanieSa! I'm very interested to know your recipe for cat food. I've been trying to figure out a good standard raw food recipe and am in research mode. Could you share it here?

StephanieSa

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi,
I pretty much follow this recipe.
I do not use salmon oil but fish oil with sardines, small fish.
Also I do not use the glandular supplement.
I do not know if all those supplements are necessary, something I am questioning lately!?!
I am thinking to try adding beef next batch..

BashaC

Registered
Thank you! I've been using a very similar recipe (StackPath) and have also been questioning what supplements are actually helpful and why. I've found so much conflicting information online, it feels challenging to know what to do. I appreciate your post and sharing the link to the recipe!

StephanieSa

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you! I've been using a very similar recipe (StackPath) and have also been questioning what supplements are actually helpful and why. I've found so much conflicting information online, it feels challenging to know what to do. I appreciate your post and sharing the link to the recipe!

StephanieSa

All-Access Member
Registered
It is very confusing. I feel like using raw meat, bones, organs and eggs should be enough but want to make sure they have everything they need. If someone knows the answer to this I would appreciate it.

BashaC

Registered
I'm working on understanding this better, too. If you haven't seen this thread, @Dr. Jean Hofve has offered some interesting information and it's slowly getting clearer for me, though I don't feel fully confident in a recipe yet. I'm hoping some of the other Drs and members will also share some of their experience and knowledge. Raw Food Recipes for Cats?

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom