• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Low appetite

novasimpson

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi! Toshi is having a few internal thing going on and is causing a lack of appetite. She seems interested in eating but just not what I am offering....like if I could get the right food she would eat. I am offering her 5-10 options per meal and usually she will decide on one and eat some of it. Sometimes I have forced almond butter into her mouth and then she will lick my finger and look for more.

In addition to working with her internal balance, I would like some supplements/ideas to have her want to eat...any ideas?

Also, Dr Jeff recommended coqmax and monopure as supplements to her care. I am concerned they may be leading to some pudding poop --is it best to just give regardless bc she needs these at this time?

Thank you!!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Nova.

Thanks so much for asking these great questions!

Regarding the coenzyme and omega supplements, let's decrease the oils by using this combination supplement also from Xymogen:

You may want to hold off on any new supplements until you evaluate the effect from the Pet Fraction maitake mushroom and Hemp Rx drops you are about to start.

For now, FOF (focus on food), as her BEAM and appetite improve, she will eat more and more of the fantastic food you are offering.

Also, keep looking for any eating preferences like warm food, cold, consistency, salty, sweet, etc.

novasimpson

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you Dr Jeff! She is currently mostly only eating rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.

I had a general question about homeopathic remedy dosing. If we are to dose Toshi 1-2x/day and we give the remedy x2 on Tuesday, should we continue 2x/day dosing? Or okay to alternate between once and twice a day dosing depending on her BEAM?

Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, you can (and should) base your dosing on BEAM and especially energy and appetite.

novasimpson

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi! Thank you Dr. Jeff!

We received the HempRx. What is the best dose and frequency to start for increasing appetite? Is there a best time to give it? Is there a concern that this will decrease her energy?

I realize a big issue is judging how well the remedy itself is working when adding this kind of supplement. However, Toshi really isn't eating very much (at least my perspective) I am not sure if it is reasonable for this size dog to eat such a small amount. And with her current pudding poops, I am concerned how much nutrition she is absorbing.

Thank you all as always!

novasimpson

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello again!

I reached out to Dr. Silver about HempRx and he said it typically increases appetite by decreasing pain and anxiety. I don't *think* Toshi has too much pain/anxiety. Will definitely continue giving the HempRx and hope it helps.
And of course she is on her homeopathic remedy. The plan is to support her until her internal balance readjusts.

Would you consider or is there a point that we would start on Entyce or mirtazipine or other options?

Any thoughts on high-calorie gel -like Nutri-Cal? I attached the ingredients. Usually I would say HECK NO and gross but not sure if it is better to do this temporarily to help keep/increase weight?

I am looking at this pretty methodically -ie she needs to get in ~200-300 calories a day. I give her as much peanut/almond butter that I think she can tolerate and some days she is eating enough other things but on average if she isn't getting enough and losing weight (already low-side of weight), any other options? Or any hints/tips? Currently, we are giving her 10+ options and just keep putting a little on our finger, floor, spoon, plate and letting her smell and decide if she wants something. Usually go through a few rounds and then she will eat something or not.

We also have been meditating, energy work, visualizing and attempting to be in a place of joy vs PLEASE EAT! Catie is better at it then me :)

Thank you all for any advice, insight, tips/tricks!
Nova

ingredients.jpg

novasimpson

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello again! Does anyone have experience syring feeding? I don't think we are at that point yet but thought I would reach out. I watched a YouTube video but wasn't sure if there is a better/caring way? And how you decide on what food?

Thanks!

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
You are doing such a wonderful, loving job for Toshi.

Sometimes, when dogs are not eating, a session with an intuitive/pet psychic can give you some more ideas of what would entice Toshi, or more in general about what is happening. Flower Essences can also help, so a call to Sharon Callahan (www.anaflora.com) may be helpful as she makes essence combinations for pets and is a communicator.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Nova!

novasimpson

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi! I was wondering if anyone has experience with Entyce? It does increase Toshi's appetite but seems to wear off relatively quickly for a drug dosed once a day. I saw the avg half-life was 1.2ish hours so would be out of system in 5-6 hours? Has anyone had experience giving the same daily dose but dividing it into 2 doses?

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom