• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Lick granuloma

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
My dog Koby has been chewing his forearms and paws excessively for months and nothing seemed to stop him completely. I thought it could be allergies so I gave him herbs for allergies .. .that didn't work. I tried chiropractic treatments as well as accupuncture and they seemed to work a bit (He had IVDD in the neck and shoulder area and I read that paw licking could be from neck injuries ; see here 5-step holistic approach to paw licking in dogs - Dr. Dobias Natural Healing). However, he now has lick granulomas on both legs. I reported this to Dr. Jeff as one of the symptoms Koby is manifesting. My question is, is there anything I can do topically to give him some relief as I was told by my holistic vet that lick granulomas are hard to treat.

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
My dog Koby has been chewing his forearms and paws excessively for months and nothing seemed to stop him completely. I thought it could be allergies so I gave him herbs for allergies .. .that didn't work. I tried chiropractic treatments as well as accupuncture and they seemed to work a bit (He had IVDD in the neck and shoulder area and I read that paw licking could be from neck injuries ; see here 5-step holistic approach to paw licking in dogs - Dr. Dobias Natural Healing). However, he now has lick granulomas on both legs. I reported this to Dr. Jeff as one of the symptoms Koby is manifesting. My question is, is there anything I can do topically to give him some relief as I was told by my holistic vet that lick granulomas are hard to treat.

@Dr. Christina @Dr. Jeff ?

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Using HMDM, Step one is to decide on the goal. If the goal is to restore balance and improve vitality, then we make the assumption that all symptoms can be completely healed (yes, even paw licking) once we find the treatment that rebalances the vital force.

As you said, you gave herbs for "allergies" - in order to know their effect, we would need to know ALL symptom changes, including BEAM, not merely the paw licking.

Then you did acupuncture which "helped some" and you introduce a new condition, IVDD.

You are "looking" for a "cause" of the paw licking - "allergies" and "IVDD". The real cause of the paw licking is the imbalance of the vital force. Continuing with the acupuncture may have eventually resolved the paw issue.

Now you are working with Dr. Jeff and giving al the symptoms (now the licking has moved from inflammation (licking the paws) to tissue changes (thick areas/granulomas). As he selects the homeopathic medicines for Koby, he will be searching for the one (at each visit) that most closely matches the totality of symptoms.

As healing happens, it usually moves from the inside to the outside, from more important to life symptoms to those less important, from the top of the body to lower on the body, and often old symptoms may briefly return.

To fully evaluate the response to each treatment, all symptoms need to be considered as to severity, persistence, and location. Skin symptoms, even lick granulomas, never cause death (well, very rarely), so when all symptoms are gone including early warning signs and the BEAM is great, even if some skin symptoms remain -- be happy. If, in a young dog or cat, there are skin symptoms, work really hard not to focus on them (I know they are so obvious) and allow them to be the clue to how well you are rebuilding total balance.

Does your pet need to suffer with itching, chewing at paws, etc, while you are working with Chinese medicine or homeopathy? No.

You can certainly try some soothing treatments (one at a time) while building the vitality and balance so the paw licking completely stops or decreases to merely extra good cleaning.

While using soothing treatments, keep your intent and focus on rebuilding vitality and balance (the homeopathic treatment). As you try the following possible helps, say to Koby, "This may help you feel a little better while you are deeply healing.", not "This will finally stop your paw licking."

Soothing treatments for any skin problems:
FLOWER ESSENCES

Rescue Remedy is an easily available (at any health food store and many regular stores) combination flower essence to “rescue” when needed. A drop or two can be added to any of the following topical treatments or 4 drops in a pint of water can be sprayed or sponged on itchy areas or in the ears. Great internally as well. There is no need to buy the “pet Rescue Remedy”, just dilute the human one. And if you are upset by the itching or the skin condition, it would be great for you to also take the Rescue Remedy. The cream is also very effective, though some animals, cats especially, may be more irritated by a cream and want to lick it off.

Crab Apple is good for skin as well. (Good internally and never harmful). Depending on how you pet is emotionally being around the skin issue, any of the 38 Bach Flower Essences could be useful.

Other flower essence companies have combination skin essences.
www.GreenHopeEssences.com, www.JacksonGalaxy.com, www.Anaflora.com, www.perelandra-ltd.com (if the skin condition is fungal or bacterial).

SOOTHING TOPICALS (Grocery or Health Food Store):
Sweet Almond Oil

Vitamin E

Aloe vera (from the plant or purchased) - If it's truly a grass allergy...it might help to put the 99.9% aloe vera gel on the dog's muzzle and paws before they go out, let it dry. Provides a permeable barrier, that might give the dog some protection.

Mullein or “Mullein and Garlic” especially for ears

Oatmeal baths

Put raw oatmeal in a stocking, get it wet, and then drip the liquid on the skin or in the ears.

Coconut oil rubbed into the skin several times a day.

If your homeopathic veterinarian approves or you are not using homeopathic treatment - Calendula gel, Hypericum gel, SSSTing SSSStop

SOOTHING TOPICALS (online):
Ark Naturals.com – shampoos and flea products

EarthAnimal.com – lavender spray and good internal vitamins. Avoid the combination homeopathic medicine.

Animal’s Apawthecary’s has a great Herbal Ear Rinse and Fido Derm Spray

Ayush Herbs: Neem oil (www.ayush.com)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, thanks for the great reply Dr. Christina!

Also, please monitor and report about the licking and granulomas after the doses of homeopathic medicines.

Since they were part of the symptomatology that led to the the homeopathic prescription, I'd expect them to improve over time.

However, skin improvements are often slow and secondary to other healing so can take awhile.

It's better for him to have improved BEAM and heart function compared to licking and granulomas.

If needed, temporary skin and granuloma soothing can be accomplished with this wonderful gel that is not suppressive but stimulates healing by granulomas:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
:)???♾️❗

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom