• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Kitty with presumed bladder cancer

LorettaS

Community Member
Registered
My kitty Barty is a spayed female domestic shorthair, about 10 years old. She was spayed sometime prior to age 1, which is about when we adopted her. She is currently between 9-10 lbs, down from about 14lbs in early Feb (appetite is greatly diminished since that time). I took her to a combined holistic/conventional vet (new primary) in early Feb, due to seeing bright red blood in her urine (in box). She had an xray, which did not show any stones, and was given a Convenia (cefovecin) injection and advised to have an ultrasound. No urinalysis was done, as when scoping her urethra for a sample the vet observed that her bladder looked irregular and "angry". Her bloodwork (CBC, Chemistry, T4/FT4) was found normal at that time. In early March she had an abdominal ultrasound by Board Vet Radiologist. All organs were reported as normal except for the bladder (uterus & ovaries unseen - spayed). The bladder is described as "severe generalized irregular mucosal thickening, up to 23 mm, overall decreased mucosal echogenicity. No Calculi." The ultrasonagraphic diagnosis was "bladder: most compatible with neoplasia (TCC, lymphosarcoma), less likely to represent severe infectious/inflammatory cystitis". It was reported that a fine needle aspirate would be feasible given the degree of wall thickening, but are often inconclusive with bladder tumors and carry risk of seeding the abdomen; surgical biopsy may be necessary for a definitive diagnosis. Barty saw a conventional Board Vet Oncologist on Mar 24 and was given metacam oral susp 0.5mg/ml (to dose 0.5 ml every other day) and mirataz transdermal. I gave Barty metacam (only 0.2ml) 2 days, but haven't continued as the 2nd time she really fought it. I have not used the mirataz yet. Her primary vet prescribed some Chinese herbs in powder form, but it has not been possible to give this to her in her food (she refused and is not eating much to begin with). She has continued to have blood in the urine, although about a week ago she had a few days with no blood seen (I think coincident with the metacam). She also started having incontinence (peeing outside of box, nearby and otherwise) - this seems to be increasing including more frequently being farther from box. She has been urinating very frequently recently, usually small amounts although at tiLS

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Loretta!

I'm super sorry to hear about Barty's health challenges.:confused:

What had she been eating before Feb?

What have you tried since then?

Is there currently anything she seems to like doing (or eating)?

If you would consider consulting with a vet homeopath, you may want to make an appointment as soon as can get one.

Where do you live (in case there is also one locally)?

Drs. Judy, Adriana and Todd are all great for virtual consultations:

LorettaS

Community Member
Registered
Thank you Dr. Jeff. I'm replying to both your posts here. Sorry for confusion - I think I inadvertently hit submit on the 1st post before proofing, I guess it was a bit too early in the AM here! I'm in Trappe PA which is west-ish of Philadelphia (approx 25 mi/1hr) & King of Prussia. I've seen relatively local holistic vet listings on e.g. AHVMA and CIVT websites, but I'm not familiar with those listing a homeopathic practice and frankly it's difficult to know where to start. I appreciate the names you mentioned, and will check availability. If you happen to be familiar with any more local to me I'd welcome hearing. I'm somewhat familiar with homeopathy, long ago having seen a homeopath for myself and taken an intro animal course with Dr. Christina.
As much as I can remember, before February Barty was eating primarily the FreshPet roll, and kibbles - Hills oral care and NV Instinct Limited Ingredient, with Open Farm being introduced more recently. (further note - she didn't get overfed in my mind, but she tended to be heavier and has always had a body shape that I describe as like a cow, and with a flabby tummy, even before we adopted). However for about 6 months prior while my other kitty was sick and I was trying to tempt his appetite, she sometimes had some of his foods (wet), which included whatever he would eat such as the Fresh Pet, Acana various flavors, Orijen, Steve's Freeze dried raw pork, baby foods (Beechnut chicken, turkey meat + broth). As her appetite has increasingly decreased, I've been trying those foods as well as several others (raw: Savage brand chicken base, OC raw fish or chicken, Just Food for Cats (fish based); Rawz, Wellness Core pate chicken, Tiki cat various flavors of mousse and creamy toppers, sardine, Fancy Feast canned, and others. She either turns up her nose, or might taste a little and then leave it. Also what she seems to like one day is often refused the next time. For a bit she was taking the Tiki cat well. The day before yesterday she lapped up a good bit of home chicken broth (wings/legs, water only), but yesterday/today she's not interested. So I've tried some of what you suggest, but will try the others (like lunch meat, FD hearts).
She does drink water, generally not excessively but a couple of days it seemed more than usual. I haven't tried coc. water, goat milk or structured water (yet!)
Though she is spending alot of time in her bed, she typically likes sitting or laying on her cat tree near the window. Today was nice and she liked the opened window (air, sniffing, watching bugs). She also enjoyed being out on the deck for a while (a change since yesterday, and which is something she has liked in past). This was nice to see but at other times she didn't seem to feel well. She likes to scratch her circle cardboard scratcher but hasn't been playing with the ball in it lately (usually likes). She likes getting her cheeks and hips rubbed/scratched, and light "thumping" on her sides. I'm offering these things as much as possible.
I'm using Feliway in hopes of easing stress.

Dr. Jean Hofve

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Hi Loretta, sorry to hear about Barty! Just a couple quick thoughts...

First, don't be afraid of the mirtazapine. It takes about 3 days to kick in, so you may want to start it sooner rather than later, as keeping her eating is of primary importance.

Also, for stress, something I just learned about on one of our Monday night Empower Hours, Qi Gong as a healing modality. I know the "exercise" form but wow that was a great class. Here's the link to all the programs: empower-hours - Holistic Actions! Flower essences are also likely to be more beneficial than Feliway (see the 8/19/19 Empower Hour). There are so many great hands-on and healing energy techniques you can use at home!

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Loretta,
Glad to see a former student here on HA!.

As you know, because you are living with Barty 24/7, and so can give us the most individualize symptoms and characteristics for the intake, homeopathic veterinarians can work remotely with you, so definitely reach out to those suggested by Dr. Jeff.

Not too far from you, in Doylestown, is one of the veterinary homeopaths who teaches other veterinarians, Dr. Laura Weis.

Dr. Christina Chambreau

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom