• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Kitten Citrouille: Fever following vaccine

VeroniqueM

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello Dr Jeff,
As planned, I got my 4 1/2 month old kitten vaccinated today. I didn't want to get him vaccinated, but the only vet hospital here requires at least one vaccine to be able to do the neutering...
About 5 hours after his vaccine FVRCP from Nobivac 3, he started shivering and then his body temperature started to rise. At 39.2 C, I was not overly concerned but I gave him a dose of Silica 30ch because he was shivering almost constantly (that was around 3hpm). I had also noticed that he was getting startled more easily when he started shivering.
About 15 min after the Silica dose, he vomited semi-digested fairly thick opaque light brown food matter once. I was hoping it was a good sign, a discharge coming out, but he did not improve after, kept shivering, had gurgling abdominal sounds and his temperature kept rising to 40.8 C.
Around 4h30pm, I gave him a dose of Sulphur 30ch thinking he might respond better. His temperature was down to 40.5 C around 5h15pm but now at 5h45pm it's 40.7 C, he's not shivering anymore since the Sulphur dose, but he's still quite lethargic, not eating and not drinking anything since about 1hpm. His sleeping position looks more comfortable though and he did a normal cat rounded back stretch before lying back down. But I can't get him to purr and he usually purrs as soon as I touch him or talk to him. No new symptom since the Sulphur dose. Should I wait or give him another 30ch dose or should I increase to Sulphur 200ch one dose because this is an acute case? I'm giving it in water one pellet diluted in about 7-8 oz of water. He's usually very playful and affectionate, but went hiding and is definitely more indifferent to his surroundings since the fever. Phosphorus might be another good choice because of his sudden indifference during the fever, but it's only a grade 1 for the fever with shivering and for the ailments after vaccination. What do you think?
This is the last vaccine he is going to get...
Here is the chart that I did:
CitrouilleVaccineReaction.png

I really appreciate your time whenever you get a chance to answer or anybody else who wants to answer!

Gratefully,

Véronique

Last edited:

VeroniqueM

All-Access Member
Registered
Just an update: the fever was not coming down, so I gave him another dose of Sulphur 30ch around 6h45pm but with 15 succussions instead of 10 succussions. About 30 min later, the temp was down a bit at 40.1, but now he's shivering again so I fear the temp will go back up again... The shivering is not as constant as it was this afternoon, but I'm a bit discouraged that it started again after it had stopped for a couple of hours.
Maybe I can give him subcutaneous fluids too to help his hydration, but I was hoping not to overstress him with that and was hoping the fever could come down with homeopathy and he would start eating/drinking again without needing the fluids.

Thank you,

Véronique

VeroniqueM

All-Access Member
Registered
Update #2: temperature finally down to 39.3 C, he got some energy back and is starting to play again. He's still not eating/drinking, but he's sniffing his food so the interest is there I think. Hopefully he'll eat soon. The shivering didn't last long after the 2nd dose of Sulphur 30ch, he slept a good nap and seemed brighter after. I have not redosed him again and I plan to wait for now because there seems to be marked improvement.
The skin tent is normal so there is no apparent dehydration for now.

Gratefully,

Véronique

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Thanks for all the details, Veronique.
This is a good demonstration of how to select a remedy, a potency, evaluate the response and decide on a second prescription.

Actually, and I would love to hear @Dr. Sara, @Dr. Jeff responses, having a fever after a stress of vaccination can be a great indication of a healing response. Scary when it gets too high, of course. This is 105.4 Fahrenheit, so it did need to be treated.

Please update us. I may have considered a 200c Sulphur since there was some good response, but it can have aggravations, so increasing the potency with more succussions was a great idea and seems to have worked. Waiting after that dose was the perfect thing to do.

dr. christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm sorry to hear about your baby kitty's vaccine reaction, Dr. Veronique.

These were perfect homeopathic actions on your part!

How's the cutie pie doing this am? I would expect him to be back to normal by now. If he's not, then I agree with Christina that a Sul 200cis a great next step.

BTW-We'd love to see a picture of your baby!

VeroniqueM

All-Access Member
Registered
Sorry for the late reply!

Our kitten is doing quite well since the morning after his reaction, so Tuesday morning, but he's still not 100%.
I'd say his energy is back 95%, it seems like he tires a little more easily although he's very playful again. His appetite is not back the way it was, maybe 90%, he's not eating his raw diet as well as he used to. Actually, the night following the fever, he finally decided to eat his canned food again but was not touching the raw food until the morning after the fever. He usually prefers the raw food over the canned. His mood is back to normal though.

And behavior wise, it keeps improving, but the day he brings me his toys again to play fetch like a dog is when I'll say his behavior is all back to normal :)

I'll have to go away out of town for my son's hockey tournament from Thursday to Sunday and somebody else will take care of our cats so I hope everything is going to be ok.

Because it looks like he keeps improving, I have not redosed. Is that what you would recommend?

Thanks again for all your time and here is a photo of him in December: of course he has grown since but I don't have very good recent photos of him.

Gratefully,

VéroniqueIMG_0768 (1).jpg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Citrouille is super handsome and happy!
Because it looks like he keeps improving, I have not redosed. Is that what you would recommend?
Yes!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom