• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Jealous 6-month old female puppy around 6-week old female puppy

H

HelenV

Theo loves all people and dogs. She was wonderful with this 6-week old puppy, playing gently and sniffing each other. All was well until I knelt down to pat the puppy, then she growled at the puppy and became very possessive. Her brother just got home from neutering and she has been regressing in housetraining since then as well. I'm thinking Lachesis for her since she's shown other signs of possession such as growling when being jarred on the couch. When this happens, I pick her up and quietly put her in her crate for a few minutes. That typically adjusts her attitude. Would really appreciate some training advice with her. Thanks so much.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Helen-

Sorry to be late in replying. :(

IMHO, I don't think Theo needs the Lachesis because this is normal behavior for a bitch in her situation.

Especially with her world currently in flux (the schedule change and Apollo being away then back).

IMO,there can be a downside to giving homeopathically-indicated medicines.

Andre´and Joe might disagree but based on my understanding of molecular biology, cellular energy from mitochondria is always consumed the dynamic equilibrium shifts.

This occurs in many ways, but translation of new proteins/enzyme is the biggest.

Anyway, regarding an HMDM Step 3 HA! for Theo, I would support and understand her over-protection, just as you have.

She might appreciate the quiet time out.

Perhaps though try leaving the crate door unlocked so she can get out if she doesn't want to be in there.

Try to keep her away from the puppy for now.

@jenbridwell @beccak @jsqueglia what do you think? You have much more training experience than I, and all know homeopathy very well.

H

HelenV

Thanks Dr. Jeff, great advice. I will wait and watch. From Theo’s perspective, her world is quite different. She often sniffs Apollo’s genitals and I can sense her confusion. She is also mounting him quite regularly since the neutering. She will need more time to adjust to this shift in her world.

jsqueglia

All-Access Member
Registered
Good Morning,
I have been meaning to answer to this post but life has been busy and now I am about to head out to work but a few quick thoughts...

I do agree Dr Jeff that this is a "normal" albeit in a quirky sort of way problem and not a problem that requires homeopathy at this time.

When adopting 2 puppies from the same (or different )litters and raising them at the same time there is the potential for some significant behavioral problems to crop up. It is generally not advised by rescues or breeders for this reason.

I believe the jealousy incident was more likely based out of fear. The links below are two articles i found quickly that may shed some light on this issue.
There is not a lot of info in the previous posts to say definitely this is what is going on but regardless the articles will offer good advice as how to proceed from a training stand point moving forward.

Hope this is helpful. Have a great day!
Jackie

H

HelenV

Good Morning,
I have been meaning to answer to this post but life has been busy and now I am about to head out to work but a few quick thoughts...

I do agree Dr Jeff that this is a "normal" albeit in a quirky sort of way problem and not a problem that requires homeopathy at this time.

When adopting 2 puppies from the same (or different )litters and raising them at the same time there is the potential for some significant behavioral problems to crop up. It is generally not advised by rescues or breeders for this reason.

I believe the jealousy incident was more likely based out of fear. The links below are two articles i found quickly that may shed some light on this issue.
There is not a lot of info in the previous posts to say definitely this is what is going on but regardless the articles will offer good advice as how to proceed from a training stand point moving forward.

Hope this is helpful. Have a great day!
Jackie
Thanks Jackie, I have indeed read these articles already. We are very committed to raising these puppies with the appropriate together and separate training required. Honestly, these puppies together have been the easiest I’ve raised so far. Both my partner and I are experienced dog owners with large breed dogs.
We have had no issues with them to date. Philosophically, I am a firm believer that what you think about you bring about.

other than this recent behaviour, they are absolutely wonderful. People often ask us if they are always that calm. We work with both of them together and separately. They are a dream on leash.

I will watch for continued signs of issues with Theo and address as they come up. Thank you for your reply.
Helen

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom