• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Itchy Blackened Elephant Skin/Yeast?

C

CarolD

Hello Everyone! I am a new member and this is my first post. Last summer, we found a little Yorky mix abandoned or lost on our road who was very neglected healthwise with a mouth full of abscessed teeth, nails so long one had curled back into his paw and he couldn't walk on it, and very smelly, itchy, blackened elephant skin...so sad. But it didn't take long to fall in love with this little guy and give him a forever home with us! His name is Peanut! My challenge has been the yeasty skin condition so I am looking for any help/guidance here - I could go into a lot of detail what I've tried so far but this would get way too long. The smell has gotten much better but he's still very itchy and the skin is not clearing - I stopped the "Enzymes" protocol I was doing since after 8 months didn't seem to be working but may have been that he was still fighting other abscessed teeth which I wasn't aware of but now I'm switching to recommendations from Anthony Williams and waiting for those products to arrive. Temporarily have him on organic cooked chicken with some raw celery, wild blueberries, apple, barley grass powder. Trying to get him back on raw food after needing to switch when he seemed to not do well with it anymore, started Mary Ruth's Liquid Probiotics for dogs today - I'm looking for recommendations on maybe specific raw food brands to try (just ordered Honest Kitchen to try) and if there is anything to help relieve his itching and just any protocols to help his skin to clear. Thank you so much for any help! Carol

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Welcome to the HA! community Carol. Thanks so much for making your first post (and adding a profile picture!!). ?

Fantastic that you are following Anthony's advice regarding diet and supplementation! Peanut is one lucky fella.:dog2:

The dark, thickened and sometimes smelly skin is, as you probably know, a result of chronic skin inflammation, allergies and usually lots of itching and chewing. In dermatology, we call these hyperpigmentation and lichenification.

Poor Peanut's rough early start probably predisposed him to the problems, but fortunately, they are usually reversible.

Yes, fresh food feeding, probiotics, and other supportive supplements are a great start.:snowman:

You may also want to incorporate snuffle mat sessions and frequent sniff walks, magnesium oil, and homeopathy, to promote healing.

Excellent food brands include Rawganics, Steve's Real Food, Darwin's, etc. They ship the second two, but the first is only available from distributors and pet stores like @Nicci's Northpoint Pets in Cheshire CT.

1/4 cup of the wild blueberry-kale smoothie/meal are also very useful for promoting better balance and healing.

Please keep us updated with Peanut's progress.

C

CarolD

Thank you Dr Jeff for your response and some guidance. What do you think about Vimergy's curcumin for helping with the skin inflammation? Is curcumin OK to give to dogs? And how about Vimergy's spiralina? AnthonyWilliams doesn't mention either of those. I did just started giving him Vimergy's Micro C as per Anthony's suggestion and started some organic raw bone marrow as I wait for the other products to arrive. Thank you again, Carol

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Carol.

Those are both great supplements to use.

Since Peanut is a small guy, I'd start with just one drop twice/day.

Are you working with a holistic vet or homeopath?

Individualized internal energetic treatment is usually very helpful for chronic skin conditions.

You'll also find other suggestions for restoring immune balance in the allergy webinar course.

C

CarolD

Hi Dr. Jeff,

It's been a busy week so I'm just getting back on here. I am now working with a holistic vet as of last week. Little Peanut has some thyroid issues going on, an eye infection and dry eyes which we are treating with a triple antibiotic/steroid ointment, plus colloidal silver, and Optimmune. His eyes was her first concern as far as quality of life and they are looking much better!

Still waiting on a call about the thyroid after doing bloodwork.

For the yeast infection, she put him on safeguard goat dewormer for 5 days, off 2 weeks, then repeat....if not gone after that, then do weekly. Also wanted me to use head and shoulders shampoo without the sodium laureth sulfate but had trouble finding it without so used a cowash I found without it plus the regular stuff. I had to use one gallon of water with 1/2 cup of white vinegar to rinse but Peanut flipped out with that so I really don't want to do that to him again. And I'm brushing him with a slicker brush also before bath time.

She loved all the medical medium products I had him on and only changed the digestive enzyme to Rx Zyme. There are more tests and treatments she would like to do in the future but taking it one step at a time for now addressing the most crucial ones first.

He seems to be doing well on the new protocol but still itching although maybe not quite as much but wondering if you have any bathtime suggestions or anything topical for the itching. I did get Zen Dog lavender essential oil shampoo and healing spray which I'm switching to since I'm not so sure about the head and shoulders and vinegar/water rinse.

Thank you Dr Jeff!
Carol

Carol L.

VIP Member
Registered
Hi CarolD. This is carol L.
Read your situation way back,,,was interested in the title you gave your post. It described my 12 1/2 year old dog Emma. She has been on this journey for almost 3 years now. I believe started with a rabies shot,,year later hypothyroid,,and skins issues, eyes, ears that have not stopped. I did conventional,,,worked nicely on skins, ears, but Emma’s appetite was lost, nausea, etc. After 8 weeks, stopped meds. Eventually all,issues returned. Strictly homeopathy now, diet, herbs. She has lost 99% of her hair, ears, eyes still challenge. She still itches. Appetite is wonderful,,,still involved,although very slowed down now.

I came across a company kin-kind.com. They have some interesting bath products. And herbals. I have not done the baths. Adding their Hip&Root organic coconut, organic turmeric blend to Emma’s diet.
I’m hoping that you can find a holistic, gently wash that will help Peanuts skin issue.
I have done the vinegar too,,,NOT GOOD,, must burn the skin?
Maybe use caution too with magnesium oil? I tried it recently on emma and she went bonkers,,,itched and licked like crazy.

I’ll be watching for you and Peanuts. Best❤️

C

CarolD

Dear Carol L,

Thank you for your post about our little Peanut and sharing your experience with Emma - We've always had large breed dogs and never thought I would enjoy a small breed dog but when we found this little guy on our road last summer, he quickly stole our hearts and has been such a sweet companion for my mom who suffered a stroke 4 years ago.

I feel like the new protocol I started a couple weeks ago is making a difference and hopefully some of the things my holistic vet suggested will help even more especially when we start addressing his thyroid issues too. I do feel the itching is getting better although he does still itch, it doesn't seem as constant anymore and he's resting better at night and not keeping us up all night scratching and I no longer need to put shirts on him to protect his skin from all the itching. I'm definitely not doing the vinegar rinse anymore!

It's so hard to see our furry friends uncomfortable and suffering and how anyone could have neglected him like this is beyond comprehension but he's in a good place now, very loved and cared for and doing my best to help his healing process. Thanks again for sharing and your advice and I hope your Emma will find healing too.

Blessings,
Carol

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for your posts, Carols. Splendid news that Peanut is doing better! :thumbsup:

It absolutely can be difficult to promote and monitor healing. Especially when symptoms affect quality of life. Twice daily assessment of BEAM is very helpful to help determine the effect that any symptom is really having.

For example, if a pet is itchy or vomits and has diarrhea a few times, if BEAM is unchanged, the symptoms are not decreasing quality of life.

The keys are close and mindful monitoring along with: 1589137696033.png

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom