• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Itching and rash

EmilyS

VIP Member
Registered
My friend has a Staffordshire terrier. Her skin keeps on getting covered rashes. She scratched. Poor thing. My friend has tried changing her diet, CBD, fish oil.
nothing seems to help. Could this be neurological?

9DA61383-E418-4ABA-9897-0ED73F0C4C97.jpeg

Dr. Sara

VIP Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
This does look uncomfortable. Obviously, ideally we would like to resolve the problem by improving health so that this Staffie doesn't itch. However, we don't really know much about this girl, so it is difficult to comment on her case.

Many things can cause lesions like this, including fungal infections, seborrhea, parasites, and allergies. All of these can be addressed by improving health, though some dogs may need conventional treatment. Neurologic disease is not a common cause of these sorts of skin lesions, though I am sure there are exceptions.

The first step is finding out if there is an underlying cause. A good physical exam, skin scraping, and possible fungal culture are in order, as well as blood work to see if there are organ imbalances.

I hope this helps!
Dr. Sara

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Emily-

No, it's probably not neurological.

However, like most of medicine, the answer about any single symptom (like a skin rash) depends on the full context.

For example, has she ever had skin problems before?

How's her BEAM?

What other symptoms are present now or in the past.

What does she eat?

Prior treatments or vaccinations, etc.?

Please let us know when you can.

EmilyS

VIP Member
Registered
Hi Emily-

No, it's probably not neurological.

However, like most of medicine, the answer about any single symptom (like a skin rash) depends on the full context.

For example, has she ever had skin problems before?

How's her BEAM?

What other symptoms are present now or in the past.

What does she eat?

Prior treatments or vaccinations, etc.?

Please let us know when you can.
I am not sure but I told her to have her taken to the vet and checked for for the things Dr Sara mentioned.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom