• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Intro and Questions about 12 y.o.GSD

jlandry78

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello to all,
I’ve just recently joined Holistic Actions. I have a 12 y.o. female German Shepherd, Faith, that I adopted 2 years ago. Faith has had progressive weakness in her limbs starting about 1 ½ years ago. It began in her hind legs and within the last several months has also affected her trunk and front legs. She has been using a wheeled cart to walk for over a year. We’ve had x-rays done last year, which showed some calcification and bridging mainly in the lumbar spine, but some in the cervical spine as well. Spondylosis was also noted. But other than that have never gotten a diagnosis as to what may be causing the weakness. From my own research I know what the possibilities are and most point to degerative myelopathy, although there are others. Her vet has recommended getting a blood or saliva test to confirm that diagnosis, but from what I have learned about the test is while it can used helpful in the diagnosis process, it is not always accurate or conclusive. I have several questions regarding this situation.

Has anyone gotten a DM test for their dog (or for the veterinarians in this group, what are your thoughts on this test)? Was having that diagnosis helpful? What would be best way for me to decide if getting this is the best route to go?

Can anyone recommend a holistically minded veterinary neurologist? I’ve considered doing this also, but I know many times what is recommended is doing an MRI to get amore accurate diagnosis and I’m not sure she is in a condition where sedation for that would be safe. I’m wondering if it would be beneficial to talk to someone anyway? Or if it’s even too late at this point to do anything because the weakness has progressed to the point it has. We live on the Central Coast of California (about 1 hour North of Santa Barbara)

Thank you! Jill

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Jill and thanks for posting your intro.

How fortunate you are to live in such an amazing and beautiful part of the country!

I'm so sorry to hear about Faith's progressive weakness and possible DM diagnosis.

I have lots of thoughts on DM diagnosis and management to share, but let's bring her degenerative myelopathy discussion over to the medical challenges folder.

You can start a discussion by copying and pasting your questions and a bit more history from this post.

It would also be awe-some if you posted some pictures of her.

You could even use one for your member picture by adding it to your account.

I look forward to replying to your questions later today.

jlandry78

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you. I would love to hear your thoughts. I will start a new thread in the Medical Dis-ease Challenges folder.

Jill

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'll try to reply tonight!

Thanks for posting Jill.

:dog2: (Archie?)

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom