• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Intermittent incontinence

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Does anyone have any thoughts on any rabbit holes I need to look into on this matter... JJ is 14 years old with Spondylosis, skin sarcoma which seems to be reducing, has protein in urine, drinking tons of water first thing in morning, and seemingly has gotten slower cognitively with regard to responses. He has had a few uriniary accidents (about 5) over the past 10 weeks or so, most at night but yesterday wet the bed he was on after having peed 4 hours earlier. He usually has no problem holding it for 4 hours. He usually holds it from 730 AM to about 12-12:30PM. His urinary stream is normal and don't think he has a prostate problem for that reason. He has had tick testing which was also fine. He had no infection and other parameters were ok on the urine testing except for the protein. His SDMA in April was a 10, not abnormal. His Urine Protein Creatinine Ratio (UPCR) went from .9 in May to .8 in June and the protein level also went down some but it is still high at 34 on the aforementioned test(UPCR) His panting seems to have increased some. Weather could be a factor but other times I feel he is in a cool environment and pants (maybe excitement?) Anyway, does the configuration of symptoms match up to any diagnosis I should be pursuing and is there anything that can be done for the incontinence? I am growing concerned and full disclosure..... I don't want to be left with drywall and carpeting to be replaced as a result. He wears a male wrap to bed but that has gotten soaked and runs through even with a pad inside. He goes for acupuncture tomorrow (I did start that up again earlier this month instead of the laser which he was getting). The vet when asked said she places the needles in for immune support...that was the answer I got from her.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Not really Lil (no specific diagnostic pattern).

As he gets older, his ability to hold his urine will decrease.

So if a big concern is overnight (or other) urination in the house then perhaps try not letting him drink too much at once (tho always have water available).

You mention the drywall and I wonder if he is also lifting his leg and peeing intentionally (vs. leaking or squatting) on the wall?

Is the frequency of the accidents increasing? How's his BEAM?

LilF

Community Member
Registered
JJ has been having increasing incidents of incontinence. In spite of a male wrap at night, he seems to not wet the wrap but it goes to the bed he is on. Last night before the last out, he was waiting for me to go and noticed he leaked on the floor. This was about 3.5 hours after his last out. He can usually last this long after dinner. I thought that I heard not to deprive a dog with kidney problems of water. He drank at 9:30 PM last night. I am going to have to deny him his usual sleeping space and let him in a small tiled area. He will not go in a crate anymore but I will leave one open there if he chooses that over the hard cold floor. I cannot let him leak on my carpet by having free run of the house at night. Will put out some yoga mats. He will probably be disoriented with his cognitive slowness but I have not choice in the matter unless I want a house that smells of urine till he dies and then a big expense and hassle removing the carpet. His UPCR is 1.1. The conventional vet gave him Enalapril but I was trying the chinese herbs from the holistic vet first. I want to know if giving him the enalapril will help the incontinence. I also give him Bladder Strength from VetriScience and just started Tinkle Tonic. What can I do. I have to go out of town and feel I cannot go with this situation. I do not have anyone that can come every 3 hours to let him out. He bites the metal on the crate if I lock him in that . He USED to like the crate years ago and slept in it but now he thinks he is the king and goes from bed to bed at night, and sleeps in the other dogs bed too. I can tolerate vomit way better than pee which smells and will ruin my house. I will look for a better diaper today I guess. Thanks. Again, would the Enalapril help this situation instead of these chinese herbs that did not lower his UPCR as promised

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Physiologically, probably not Lil. Enalapril is used primarily to decrease protein loss in the urine.

However, energetically, via the homeopathic understanding of dissimilar dis-eases, it might.

Perhaps see what implementing the supplements and enalapril do ptior to your going away. If they help, then after you get back, you can try reducing or weaning the drug or supplements.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom