• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

IBS kitty 15 years old. Need ideas as to what to do to help her

DeborahF

Community Member
Registered
We have a 15 year old adopted neutered female, who has had anxiety issues/IBS since we adopted her 11 years ago. We didn't recognize that she had IBS until several years ago when she started with blood in her stool. Our vet advised not to worry to much about it unless it became more severe. Now she cannot have a normal stool without the herbal supplement BM Tone-UP and even with that she still has a lot of mushy stools with blood in it, but sometimes it is normal and then it will revert again. she goes through bouts of vomiting (several times over say 5 days) and then stops. for as long as a month or two. She is a "dry food junkie" and it is extremely difficult to get any type of "whole food" down her. She is a compulsive groomer (came to us that way from the shelter) and we are forced to put an E colllar on her now. She does get 400 mg of slippery elm a day in an attempt to protect her intestines. I have read that anxious cats are prone to this. Within the constraints I have, I would greatly welcome any comments as to where to try to start with her. A food trial would be an idea, I would think, but I wouldn't know where to start since she is addicted to kibble. It took us 10 years to finally get her to accept ground up Fancy Feast, but at least we can get that down her as well as "Friskies bisque", but I realize the nutrition is extremely poor and would like to change her food, but we have tried everything we can think of (incluing raw food) and no luck so far. Her recent labs were normal in late October. We don't know how much her symptoms are related to anxiety and how much are related to her food intake etc....... Any ideas as to how we can help her? Thanks!!!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for asking these wonderful questions, Deborah! There are definitely way to help her and support her body while it heals.

Personally, I see her anxiety as the central issue and everything else being secondary. Does she live in perpetual "high alert" or anxiety?

Is there anything she loves to do, or is she mainly sleeping or under the bed most of the day?

Does she have a kitty condo, birds (or a fish tank) to watch, or any other environmental enrichment tool? The webinar and resources from Sally Bahner have lots of toys and tools that you can use to help her be happier.

Have you tried any flower essences, pheromone collars, diffusers or essential oils?

Regarding her food, that's awe-some that you are trying to get her off dry food. Anything else would be better for her stools and her overall vitality/energy.

Raw food is great but also is usually the least palatable of any kind of food. Some cats just take a very long time to take to it. Will she eat any cooked food like rotisserie chicken?

My own kitty only eats raw if I mix some wet food and Dr. Bob's Wisdom food in with it.

Speaking of which, some cats seem to adore Wisdom. It has great ingredients but is really designed for dogs. It is OK for cats in small amounts and is way less processed than most commercial foods.

I'd also see if she'll take any amount of a fiber supplement. Most of the ingredient in the fiber supplement I use can be tried individually to add fiber:

DeborahF

Community Member
Registered
Thanks Dr Jeff for your comments. Yes, she is usually in some state of anxiety. Most of the time she walks around with her tail lowered. She did hide from strangers until we put her on transdermal fluoxetine a while back. Now she is much improved in the "visitor department" and other things such as vacuuming or a workman in the house for example but the underlying daily anxiety she displays with constant self mutiliation, which has not been helped by the medication. She lives in an ecollar now since October and rarely will be quiet enough that we can leave it off for even a short amount of time.

In short, she does not hide, but has no confidence or mojo that I can see. We do have Manny, our other 14 year old neutered male (with food allergies who will start off with an appt with Dr. Sagrera in Metairie LA this Friday). He is the more dominant cat but doesn't attack her or anything like that, but she defer to him always. They have been together for appx 11.5 years having both come from the same rescue at the same time. She came with a literal "mowhawk " that has improved over the years somewhat but we have never been able to make her comfortable enough to elimate her constant OCD overgrooming/anxiety. Now the IBS seems to make her even more uncomfortable and anxious. We have tried many supplements which seem to work for a while, then she falls back to her baseline symptoms. (she is the "dry food junkie" we talked about in our monthly phone call last Monday. )

As far as fiber goes, which is best for her soluble our insoluble? We gave her a supplement which is called "Glandex" fiber supplement which seemed to help for a while, but then seemed to lose effectiveness. Her stools can be anything from cowpies to almost normal and can go from one extreme to another in a day or so.... I am confused as which type would help her more.

A long time ago we tried her on "Rescue Remedy" with no effect. Pheromones seem to have no effect either. We now have her on an herbal kidney supplement and BM Tone up by Pet Well being. The BM Tone up again seems to help her stools for a while and then doesn't. We do have a "catio" which they enjoy in the summer, but with it being cold, she isn't interested. We also have window bird feeder and a sunny bay window but she has stopped using that, perhaps because it is a favorite with the other cat, I would guess, since they used to both use it at the same time, ending this past year. It seemed she was having difficulty jumping up into the window, but refused to stay when I would help her up there and no longer will use it. We have and rotate many toys for her, with and without catnip, but only fleeting interest on her part. The only things I would really say she enjoys at the moment is snuggling with us on the sofa and her dry food...... Thanks for your previous suggestions as I will gladly research them. Any more comments/thoughts are appreciated! Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Deborah-

Is your kitty still getting the transdermal Prozac (fluoxetine)? It's associated with constipation in people (occasionally pets as well):

Is she on any other medications?

Regarding the fiber to use, you might want to use both soluble and insoluble fiber as in my HPS supplement, which I posted above.

Wonderful news that you are seeing Dr. Adriana this week. I bet she could help both kitties internally rebalance.

DeborahF

Community Member
Registered
She is still on the transdermal prozac....certainly NOT constipated. As mentioned earlier she is on 2 herbal supplments "pet alive kidney support" and "Pet WellBeing BM tone up". The "tone up" seems to help sometimes. Other times we have to give her a dose of NutriVet antidiarrhea liquid, We do also supplment with 400 mg slippery elm.

I will definitely mention her to Dr. Adriana this week to see what she thinks......

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I bet that as her underlying imbalance improves, both her anxiety and her stools will both get better.

Will she play any games?

BTW-which probiotics have you tried?

DeborahF

Community Member
Registered
Dr. Jeff,

She is not much of a game player, though a very occasional romp with a mouse toy or catnip toy once or twice a week is about it. We have a window bird feeder, she pays no attention. wand games don't seem to interest her. She would play a bit more a few years ago, but now she doesn't show much interest. I do give her Cosequin for cats in hopes it might help any discomfort, but I haven't seen a change for the better.

We give her 2 capsules of Nutramax Proviable probiotic, which are 5 billion CFUs per capsule. Any other ideas suggestions are very welcome.....thanks so much for your thoughts.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Deborah-

An Assisi Loop or pad could be perfect for her. It would relieve some of her arthritic discomfort and help her want to play more and speed her body's ability to heal.

Have you tried a feather at the end of the wand?

aruna

Cat mom
Administrator
All-Access Member
Here are some great kitty play resources (download the attached pdf for all the links)cats.jpg

Attachments

• cats (1).pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 7

DeborahF

Community Member
Registered
Hi Deborah-

An Assisi Loop or pad could be perfect for her. It would relieve some of her arthritic discomfort and help her want to play more and speed her body's ability to heal.

Have you tried a feather at the end of the wand?
Yes, more than one! She just looks at it now, but will keep trying. I will look into the Assisi Loop/pad! Thank you!

DeborahF

Community Member
Registered

DeborahF

Community Member
Registered
Question on using herbal supplements and homeopathic remedies. For her IBS we have been giving her an herbal remedy to help her stool, which it does improve it by firming it up. We also give her an herbal supplement to support her kidney function. I would like to try a remedy for her anxiety, such has Jackson Galaxy's "Scaredy Cat" or "Obession Solution" flower essence, but not sure if I can combine the remedies??? Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wonder-ful question, thanks for asking Deborah!

Great news that the herbal is helping.

Yes, you can use flower essences with the herbal.

Are you dosing with homeopathic medicines (remedies) as well?

DeborahF

Community Member
Registered
Dr. Jeff,

Not at present, though we would be open to that certainly. We are waiting for your digestive supplement to arrive that we ordered last week per your suggestion. Any homeopathic remedy out there that you think might help as well? Thanks as always, Deb

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
We have a 15 year old adopted neutered female, who has had anxiety issues/IBS since we adopted her 11 years ago. We didn't recognize that she had IBS until several years ago when she started with blood in her stool. Our vet advised not to worry to much about it unless it became more severe. Now she cannot have a normal stool without the herbal supplement BM Tone-UP and even with that she still has a lot of mushy stools with blood in it, but sometimes it is normal and then it will revert again. she goes through bouts of vomiting (several times over say 5 days) and then stops. for as long as a month or two. She is a "dry food junkie" and it is extremely difficult to get any type of "whole food" down her. She is a compulsive groomer (came to us that way from the shelter) and we are forced to put an E colllar on her now. She does get 400 mg of slippery elm a day in an attempt to protect her intestines. I have read that anxious cats are prone to this. Within the constraints I have, I would greatly welcome any comments as to where to try to start with her. A food trial would be an idea, I would think, but I wouldn't know where to start since she is addicted to kibble. It took us 10 years to finally get her to accept ground up Fancy Feast, but at least we can get that down her as well as "Friskies bisque", but I realize the nutrition is extremely poor and would like to change her food, but we have tried everything we can think of (incluing raw food) and no luck so far. Her recent labs were normal in late October. We don't know how much her symptoms are related to anxiety and how much are related to her food intake etc....... Any ideas as to how we can help her? Thanks!!!
Dr. Jeff,

Not at present, though we would be open to that certainly. We are waiting for your digestive supplement to arrive that we ordered last week per your suggestion. Any homeopathic remedy out there that you think might help as well? Thanks as always, Deb
Dr Jeff, do you think one of the homeopathic remedies guided by emotional symptoms/anxiety might benefit Deborah's kitty?

DeborahF

Community Member
Registered
Dr. Jeff,

we have been giving Lucy (IBS kitty) a very small amount, 1/8 tsp, of the fiber supplement (fiber detox) once a day, that you recommended; it seems to be making her stool partially runny. (most of BM is firm but ends as soft/runny). Should I continue and see what happens or stop the fiber detox and try something else? I have continued the herbal remedy that firms up stools during this time as well. We also give her 400 mg a day of slippery elm in addition. The bloody stools have decreased with the herbal remedy, but whenever the stools get soft again or runny, the inflammation and blood in the stool returns, so I would like to continue to avoid that. What do you think?

BTW, is there a homeopathic remedy to help IBS? Thanks as always

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom