• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Hyperthyroid cat

KaraK

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello Dr. Jeff and staff, this post is about my cat Truffles. She is an 18 year old FS devon rex. She is about 6.5lbs (lost about a pound in the past year I think). Her behavior and energy have been pretty normal, she has sleepy days and days where she still runs and plays. Her appetite is good, I think she's getting a bit more ravenous lately. Mood I would lump with behavior and energy with some good days and some bad but she generally seems pretty happy. She currently eats koha kangaroo wet food because she has food allergies, I also have been mixing in stella and chewy freeze dried rabbit to try to switch her. I couldn't tell you the last vaccine she had, probably only had them when she was a kitten but I'm not sure exactly, definitely not any time in the last 10 years at least. She is not currently on any meds but is on some supplements- thyroid gold, heart health, a couple GI support (luxolite and feline comfort from vitality science) because she had some issues last summer presumably IBD, just started vitamin D because she was low, hepatic support and cardiac support from standard process, immune support mushrooms, joint support, and kidney/liver support.

I am here mainly because of her newly diagnosed hyperthyroidism. In nov 2020 her T4 was 3.4. She went for an echo in jan 2021 because she sometimes has a heart murmur but the cardiologist never hears it. There was some mild thickening found, either early HCM or hyperthyroid, and the cardiologist suggested rechecking her thyroid level in a month. In march we rechecked and it was up to 4.4. Vet of course recommended methimazole. I try to be very cautious with giving meds and after talking with my holistic vet she said since she's pretty low and not showing intense symptoms it would be ok to get her on hepatic support and thyroid gold support for now but that she usually has to add in the methimazole at some point and hasn't had success treating just holistically. I also talked with another holistic vet who said the same and have researched a bunch online and haven't found much luck. Now, I feel her appetite is getting a little more intense, she has lost the weight mentioned above and what's especially worrying me now is that she started having coughing fits in the past couple weeks which she never had before. I know coughing is not a typical symptom of heart disease in cats but I'm sure that's not always the case? I am thinking I need to have her blood rechecked this month and probably start methimazole, I can't seem to find any alternative that will actually lower the t4. But then I worry about her kidneys and liver with giving the medication :( I feel like im in a lose lose situation. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!! I attached her latest bw results.

Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 6.42.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 6.42.46 PM.png

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Kara, and thanks for making your first post.

Truffles is adorable! Both @Dr. Sara and I love Rex kitties (and we both currently live with one).

You're using some awe-some holistic support, but I agree with your holistic vet that it probably will need to be supplemented by methimazole.

That's because (IMHO) this approach (drugs and supplements) does not treat the underlying imbalance. Energetic modalities like homeopathy do so however.

Dr. Sara recently did a wonderful webinar all about options for kitty hyperthyroidism. It is archived in your member area over at the main site.

In case you can't find it @aruna can share the link below.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
So great Kara, that you focus on the positives of her attitude. That is very important.

You say that holistic has not helped. What holistic approaches have you tried so far?

Have you worked with a veterinary homeopath yet? Definitely listen to Dr. Sara's recent Empower Hour to learn more about that approach.

KaraK

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks for the video it was very informative. I haven't worked with a homeopath yet the only other suggestion was a chinese herb hyper jia bing that would be used with methimazole. Does Dr. Sara do phone consults? Also Dr. Jeff- I read in another hyperthyroid post that you would use methimazole if the heart is affected? I don't remember exactly what you said. Since she has some degree of heart disease would you still use homeopathy or would you just use methimazole? Thank you both!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Kara!

Based on the echo and cardiology findings (can you upload the cardiologist's report?) you may want to start first with homeopathy, diet, supplements, etc.

If Truffle's body isn't re-balancing but if the heart dis-ease is progressing (based on echo, proBNP blood tests and exam findings) then the methimazole may be needed.

Balancing meds and natural healing along with a vet will help Truffles have the best possible quality of life ("best of both worlds").

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for sharing this great report!

Both Truffles heart and kidneys (and thyroid) may improve before your next recheck just by raising her cellular energy (vitality) and balancing it homeopathically.

KaraK

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you, have you had success treating hyperthyroidism just homeopathically?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks so much for asking Kara!

Success in treating hyperthyroidism homeopathically depend on the type and amount of prior medications, symptom manipulations, diet, etc.

Regarding Truffles specifically, I'd say that her genetic age is the biggest potential limiting factor.

Most of the HA! vets and myself would recommend treating her regardless of age.

IMHO where there's life and vitality, there is hope.

KaraK

All-Access Member
Registered
So great Kara, that you focus on the positives of her attitude. That is very important.

You say that holistic has not helped. What holistic approaches have you tried so far?

Have you worked with a veterinary homeopath yet? Definitely listen to Dr. Sara's recent Empower Hour to learn more about that approach.
Hi @Dr. Christina , in the webinar you mentioned naturalpetrx.com and that you've had success with early hyper thyrin, did you only use that or was it used in conjunction with methimazole or anything else? there is also just hyper thyrin on the website, have you ever tried that one?

Last edited:

KaraK

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi @Dr. Christina , in the webinar you mentioned naturalpetrx.com and that you've had success with early hyper thyrin, did you only use that or was it used in conjunction with methimazole or anything else? there is also just hyper thyrin on the website, have you ever tried that one?
@Dr. Jeff , maybe you can help? Have you tried these products at all? The naturalpetrx website is a little sketchy...there are no reviews on any products but there is a testimonial tab with a few but they are all very old like early 2000's. I also tried reaching out to the company with some questions, but they haven't gotten back to me.

Last edited:

NicoleA

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Kara,
I'm new here and having a similar issue with my kitty who is newly diagnosed with hyperthyroidism based on his Free T4 levels. I ordered liquid supplements from NHV Natural Pet Products recently and have been giving them to him 2/day - cat owners who wrote reviews claim that the supplement for hyperthyroidism (Resthyroid) has lowered the T4 levels. You can also give them in conjunction with the medicine. I too am trying to decide about the medication - I started it and then stopped after reading all the potential side effects. Ugh.

KaraK

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Kara,
I'm new here and having a similar issue with my kitty who is newly diagnosed with hyperthyroidism based on his Free T4 levels. I ordered liquid supplements from NHV Natural Pet Products recently and have been giving them to him 2/day - cat owners who wrote reviews claim that the supplement for hyperthyroidism (Resthyroid) has lowered the T4 levels. You can also give them in conjunction with the medicine. I too am trying to decide about the medication - I started it and then stopped after reading all the potential side effects. Ugh.
Hi thank you this is so stressful! I have read about the resthyro before, how is your cat doing so far on it?

NicoleA

All-Access Member
Registered
I know :(. He's only been on it a few days so I am not sure yet (his only sign of hyperthyroid is a big appetite and I think he's a bit lethargic) but in general he seems to be doing better on the NHV supplements - I started him on 3 others about a month ago and his vomiting has stopped (that could also be due to the laxatives I'm giving him but I have been tapering off the Miralax). Does your kitty have vomiting or digestive issues?

KaraK

All-Access Member
Registered
that's good news hopefully he continues to improve! yes she does vomit occasionally, i have her on a few GI supplements its definitely better than it used to be

NicoleA

All-Access Member
Registered
that's good news hopefully he continues to improve! yes she does vomit occasionally, i have her on a few GI supplements its definitely better than it used to be
Hi @KaraK How is your kitty doing? I wanted to let you know that the NHV Resthyro herbal supplement worked for Jespa - his recent bloodwork came back normal. If you have any questions I'm happy to discuss with you. Hope your kitty is doing better!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great news Nicole that Jespa's bloods (and how's his BEAM?) have normalized!

Remember, supplements, homeopathy and other lifestyle tweaks all work the same way. They improve the internal balance to normalize symptoms.

The goal is to be able to maintain this stable balance even without daily supplement or homeopathic dosing.

NicoleA

All-Access Member
Registered
Great news Nicole that Jespa's bloods (and how's his BEAM?) have normalized!

Remember, supplements, homeopathy and other lifestyle tweaks all work the same way. They improve the internal balance to normalize symptoms.

The goal is to be able to maintain this stable balance even without daily supplement or homeopathic dosing.
Thank you, @Dr. Jeff -- I hope I can do this! He is on so many supplements right now and it's a bit overwhelming but I'm nervous to stop any of them.. I guess I wean off over time. His BEAM is pretty good - he seems a bit more perky. His appetite is still strong - he is supposed to lose a lb or so but that hasn't happened yet.

KaraK

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi @KaraK How is your kitty doing? I wanted to let you know that the NHV Resthyro herbal supplement worked for Jespa - his recent bloodwork came back normal. If you have any questions I'm happy to discuss with you. Hope your kitty is doing better!
that's so awesome! my cat is ok, i switched her to hyper-thyrin from naturalpetrx.com and also changed her diet a bit but i haven't rechecked blood work yet. She has gained some weight though and seems to be doing ok, but still could use some improvement in the hunger area as she is esp. hungry late night and early morning. I'm so glad to hear the resthyro worked for your cat I'll keep that in mind. Thank you for the update :)

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom